PDA

View Full Version : City-levelling, explosion-loving IG concept army, 1500 pts

Tombworld
12-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Here’s an idea I had for a concept army. I don’t want to just create a ‘power-list’ since I’ll be playing friendly games but at the same time, I don’t believe in a player crippling their ability to win just to be ‘nice’. This army is called ‘The Demolishers’, and they are humans with a mentality like Orks. They like seeing things go boom. Their task-force's job is to storm into cities, and level everything from bunkers to tower blocks. In principle, the list has to be played VERY aggressively, and I want every unit to be a big threat. With the exeption of the infantry squads, I think that's the case.

Heavy Support:
Demolisher - 165
Demolisher - 165 ((330))

Elite:
'Rusty' (I.E., Marbo) - 65 ((395))

Troops:
Veteran Squad (Vets) W/Shotguns, 3xMelta Guns (MG's), Demolitions (Demo), Chimera W/Hull Heavy Flamer (HF), Turret Multi-laser (ML) - 185 ((580))
Vets W/Shotguns, 3xMG, Demo, Chimera W/HF, ML - 185 ((765))
Vets W/3xflamers, shotguns, Demo, Chimera W/HF, HF – 170 ((935))

Platoon Command Squad W3xPlasma Guns, Chimera W/HF, ML – 130 ((1065))
Infantry Squad W/Missile Launcher – 70 ((1135))
Infantry Squad W/Missile Launcher – 70 ((1205))

HQ:
Company Command Squad, Bolter, Ordnance Officer, HB, Chimera W/HB, ML – 147
Company Command Squad, Bolter, Ordnance Officer, HB, Chimera W/HB, ML – 147 ((1499))

Here’s my reasoning behind the choices:
Heavy Support:
The Demolishers HAVE to have some demolisher tanks. What else makes quite that bang? There are two of them mainly to increase survivability; even if one goes down early, the survivor can cause a lot of pain.

Elite:
Marbo HAD to be in the list. ‘Rusty’ is my version, a shell-shocked southern ‘good ‘ol boy’ the reason he can’t take orders is because his hearing is shot from being near so many damn explosions. People just stay away from him and let him do his thang…

Troops
Every Vet squad MUST take Demolitions on principle. It helps that it makes these guys deadlier. The mobility and armour of the chimeras should enable at least one of these guys to hit something BIG. These guys have Meltas to dissolve the foundations of tough buildings. And it’s not all about the boom, sometimes it’s about the burn! There are a bunch of Pyromaniacs who flush out stragglers in the task-forces target buildings (You didn’t think they’d always be empty of hostile scum before they’re blown up did you?) that should help with anti-horde or anything that tries to hide in cover! Oh, and they still have a demo charge of course.

The Platoon Command Squad are the sad lads of the group; they don’t have anything that goes bang, and are frowned upon for that. But they’re senior to the grunts, so what are you gonna do? The troops, of course, have a nice missile launcher each, which causes a tasty explosion. They’ll hold the home table edge.

HQ
It had to be the master of ordnance, right? I know they’re inaccurate, but two per turn have gotta hit SOMETHING,? Ok, might not be the enemy, but still. The rest of the team and the chimeras pour on anti-infantry fire and again, aught to help with hordes and the like. The senior officers have bolters because, of course, they fire explosive rounds…

Any advice is very welcome. Should I include some valkyries (They MUST have explosive-packing rocket pods by the way!), could you work some ordnance batteries in there, do I need more Dakka and anti-horde (Try to make it include bolters, for the exploding rounds!) more meltas or anything? Remember, if possible, everyone’s gotta have something that goes ’BOOM’ unless they have a very good reason!

Alternate List:
H.Q.:
CCS, Ordnance Officer, Heavy Bolter, 2xGrenade Launchers , Chimera W/
HB, ML - 185

Heavy Support:
Demolisher - 165
Demolisher - 165 ((515))

Elite:
'Rusty' (I.E., Marbo) - 65 ((580))

Troops:
Veteran Squad (Vets) W/Shotguns, 3xMG's, Demo, Chimera W/HF, ML - 185 ((765))
Vets W/Shotguns, 3xMG, Demo, Chimera W/HF, ML - 185 ((950))
Vets W/Shotguns, 2xMG, Demo, Chimera W/HF, ML - 175 ((1125))
Vets W/Shotguns, 3xFlamers, Demo, Chimera W/HF, HF - 170 ((1295))
Vets W/3xPlasma Guns (PG), Demo, Chimera W/HF, ML - 200 ((1495))

Unholy_Martyr
12-24-2009, 07:10 PM
All I have to say is...I hope they're using those charges while in their armored taxis. Seriously though, you'll be putting out as many Main Battle Cannon rounds as an armored company with so many Demo charges, not including the Masters of Ordanance.

In all seriousness, I want to know how this plays out for you. It seems like it has huge potential, the only real deal breaker is making sure you get there and that those pie plates of awesomeness don't scatter back onto you. In the same regard, I feel the only thing that requires mentioning is your ranged aspect. Anything outside of 36" doesn't really have much to worry about...(Save for "Rusty" and the Masters of Ordanance). May I suggest 2 Medusa's instead of the Demolishers? Granted the Demos have the mobility and the armor for better survivability, I would keep it in the back of your mind to see if that changes the gae dynamic for you.