PDA

View Full Version : Sexy Pin-Up Amazons Army New Releases

MiniForge
03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Welcome!
We would like to present You our latest project ‒ an army of Amazons. All miniatures will be made in 28 mm heroic scale that perfectly fits in with the most of available war games. As a young company we have decided to invest in remarkable design of our miniatures and their high quality that is possible thanks to the excellent resin.
We would like You to see that our miniatures are created with a real passion. And if You like them, we encourage You to support our project, especially that the prices in the campaign are about 25% lower than those planned for the future regular sale. Once again, we cordially invite You to participate in our project!

http://igg.me/at/amazonsarmyminiforge/x/6496996

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag173/MiniForge/5wojowniczekkoniec_zps9d8952eb.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/MiniForge/media/5wojowniczekkoniec_zps9d8952eb.jpg.html)

eldargal
03-04-2014, 05:18 AM
More sexy amazons? how about some realistic amazons for once.

John Bower
03-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Is that with one or two breasts?

The whole 1 breast thing is an urban myth.

Psychosplodge
03-04-2014, 07:07 AM

I know, but a popular one.
The whole dexterity based female armour is a terrible trope but it still exists :D

Dimitrios
03-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Unimaginative sexist models are unimaginative.

Not all people who play wargames are geeky, lonely, sexually frustrated perverts who will buy models purely depending on how large the breasts are.

chicop76
03-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Personally I thought they had too much clothes. I think Amazon's would simply fight naked or near naked. For reference look at national geographic.

Psychosplodge
03-04-2014, 07:34 AM
You mean celt style?
You're probably right...

miteyheroes
03-04-2014, 08:38 AM

They have no right breast; for while still of a tender age their mothers heat strongly a copper instrument constructed for this very purpose, and apply it to the right breast, which is burnt up, and its development being arrested, all the strength and fullness are determined to the right shoulder and arm.

From http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/airwatpl.17.17.html

MiniForge
03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
from yesterday :)

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag173/MiniForge/Head_zpsc182027d.png (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/MiniForge/media/Head_zpsc182027d.png.html)

Denken
03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I totally agree and support Eldargal comment on the matter.

miteyheroes
03-04-2014, 12:57 PM
I'd like to see amazons in historically appropriate clothing not thongs. Peplos ftw. I mean, they could still be sexy. But bikinis? No.

Dave Mcturk
03-04-2014, 04:51 PM
sorry but i think they are really sweet... and the 'bring your own pole' comment about their spears was very amusing...

men {presumably} have been modelling naked or near naked female figurines for 10,000 years ... we arent likely to change anytime soon...

Nabterayl
03-04-2014, 05:20 PM
From http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/airwatpl.17.17.html
I don't know that I'd call it an "urban" myth, but it is certainly a myth. The passage you quote is an example of the sort of armchair linguistics that it was fashionable for a certain class of Greek gentleman to indulge in during that period (amazôn does not come from a-mastos, even if they sound sort of similar and even if the sigma-tau sound does sound like a zeta in certain ancient Greek dialects). Even in antiquity (even during Hippocrates' lifetime), amazons were not commonly depicted with one breast - it's a particular story from a particular time about an enduringly popular mythological trope, but it was never a core part of the trope.

lattd
03-05-2014, 03:19 AM
Look at the wood elf female models made by GW they are clearly woman and yet they aren't naked. Now look at the majority of female warriors and they are nearly naked. Amazons are meant to be warrior woman why would they expose so much skin? It stands out compared to a jungle back ground they would all be dead. That is stupid.

Morgrim
03-05-2014, 03:58 AM
Every one of these Amazon women here are posed like heroes, why do see them just sexualized (which also means victimized by the way)? See this is where the feminism comes in. But I am going to let that drop because you are saying that isn't what you are talking about.

It's a numbers game then. Fantasy is a pretty scantily clad genre...
These are NOT posed like heroes, with the possible exception of the very last in line. They are vaguely humanoid figures in stripper poses. I very pointedly refuse to call them humans because even as stylised as miniatures usually are their anatomy is shocking. The waists are too narrow, the breasts are hard spheres nearly the size of their heads glued to closer to their collarbones than their ribs, and they completely lack buttocks in favour of drumstick thighs. There are no attachment points for their clothing so it is apparently some sort of natural skin growth with the possible exception of their knee high ugg boots.

Basically I saw them and curled my lip in disgust at the incompetent artist when it was first posted, but having people saying that hey this is what they think female heroes are supposed to look like is a slap in the face to me.

Kim Boisen
03-05-2014, 04:33 AM
I don't know why anyone would even feel the need to so heatedly debate the aestethics of stylized game pieces. As far as I know, they can't force you to buy or use them. So use the democratic power of your private finances, and vote with your wallet.

And speaking of wallets, I'd be much more concerned with other aspects of this project:

- So far the project is just comprised of a collection of concept sketches a single, fairly static, 3D-sculpted head. Considering the detail needed to actually do a good representation of a thong bikini on a 28mm model, I would be very concerned that the actual casts wouldn't come close to living up to the concepts. They show one of their existing figures; some sort of mutant troll which looks pretty good, but detail-wise has very little in common with the scantily-clad female form (no matter how unrealistic that form may be represented).

- The estimated delivery for every pledge level is listed as april 2014. As in; the same time the funding campaign end. So that's a pretty big red flag in itself.

- The campaign has "Flexible Funding", meaning they receive all funds raised even if they don't reach their stated goal of $4000. If you can't garner enough interest to reach the goal you yourself set as the cost of the project, why would you pursue the project to the end?

I'm as much a fan of the comic-book proportioned female as the next jerk, but this project to me seems unlikely to deliver on it's promises.

eldargal
03-05-2014, 04:53 AM
Right, and made by worse that this represents 99% of amazon models on the market. There is nothing original or special about these at all, more of the same sexualised nonsense, not even worthy of being labelled as pinups. Give me some amazons in head to toe armour, please. those i will buy, not these ridiculous things.

Nothanow
03-05-2014, 07:04 AM
A quick glance at the Indiegogo and this thread served as a nice reminder why TTWG continues to have difficulty attracting women.

Sex may sell, but it often leaves out more than half of a company's potential customers. Failed attempts to replicate the female form certainly don't help.

Dimitrios
03-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Whatever I said my piece, your campaign against these types of models is total BS. You're being disrespectful and you seem to be trying to run off anybody that doesn't agree with you. I will remind you of this again next time too!

Actually it isn't a campaign and she has a valid point. I do not know how financially biased you are towards these particular models however if you look at this from a level head YET AGAIN there are more sexually driven models being pushed out into the market feeding on the hidden frustration of the standard geeky/ nerdy gaming male.

Leaving aside the fact that the models do not appear to be anatomically accurate, all that is being said here is that it would be nice for a change to see models produced that accurately reflect the female form... if you want to have fighting women then:

Naked Women would have saggy breasts and a simple twist of fur would not provide enough comfort to run.
Clothed women would be suitably covered and armoured in the same vein as any male would be... the typical half naked fighting zena is a gaming myth.

Any large breasted woman would tell you how terrible it is to run with no bra or at least being heavily strapped down... if you are so heavily strapped down then you wouldn't h ave visually large breasts and the top half would be covered. Equally for a fighting female force why are they all so image conscious? The fact that they are being portrayed in a modern pin-up fashion proves my point. Do real women... tough women... look like that?

Finally... eldargal isn't "running off"... you are... she is allowed to express her opinion as much as the next person on this forum. Why are you attacking her for having a different view?

60-second swordsman
03-05-2014, 01:10 PM
But then, Miniforge advertises these as "Sexy Pin-Up Amazons". It's in the thread title, and it's the very point of these minis. You can't really click the thread expecting something else. And if that's not your cup of tea then you're not the demographic. It's not illegal, it's not immoral and you're not forced to buy them. The debate on the sexualizing/objectifying of women is valuable, relevant and definitely important, but the discussion does not really belong in this thread. Had Miniforge advertised these as simply "Amazons", then sure, by all means, bring out your tar and feathers. But now you knew exactly what to expect.

I realize you're fed up with the lack variety. Me myself have only been into miniatures since January this year, so I wouldn't know about that. But you all entered this thread with the intent to be offended, grossed out or pissed off.

lattd
03-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I think that makes it worse. Honestly do we need an advert for pin up models and why would you want to describe miniatures as sexy? The quality of the models should sell them not the fact they are "sexy"

60-second swordsman
03-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Why describe models as Sci-Fi or Fantasy if quality is all that matters? If the selling point is "sexy" then they should be advertised as such.

White Tiger88
03-05-2014, 11:53 PM
I would buy these to use as demonettes....

eldargal
03-06-2014, 05:18 AM
I do not understand why this wasn't left at that. You come to me selling X. I tell you I'm not interested in X, but I might be tempted by Y. Unless you ask me why I'm not interested in X (which the OP hasn't done), well ... sorted, right?
Yup. Never stated there was no room for these sorts of models, I just expressed disinterest and then later when pressed elaborated on my position. I have never said that miniforge have no right to produce these miniatures, I've said that they are unoriginal and an all too common take on amazons.

Deadlift
03-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Back on topic, I think they look a bit crap really :D kind of like some clichéd girl band from the film 1 Million BC.

The Girl
03-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Feminist thread is here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?32827-A-Crash-Course-in-Feminism-Mk-II-%28or-why-everyone-should-be-a-feminist%29

Advertising posts go here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/forumdisplay.php?134-Services-Stores-amp-Sales

Keep on topic in this thread, and stop throwing around personal attacks... I will start issuing bans. Do not force me to start treating the Lounge like the front page (more than I'm already having to).

Thank you.