PDA

View Full Version : Need help against Eldar

Mike X
12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
As a (generic) Space Marines player, it saddens me to admit that I've been losing to my friend's Eldar. The games usually end really close, with KP scores like 5-3 or 8-6, but I just can't seem to kill enough of his guys. Or worse, I wipe out nearly an entire squad but the Exarch.

I field a Captain/Master, a Librarian or Chaplain, an assault squad, lots of standard marines, two dreadnoughts, a devastator squad, a whirlwind, a predator, and even land speeders...

But he usually ends up with tons of re-rolls, due to taking Eldrad. He also fields Swooping Hawks, Striking Scorpions, a Wraithlord, and an Avatar. Plus guardians, usually in transports.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I could better combat his forces, in 1500pts or 2000pts battles?

Duke
12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I have 25+k of eldar and 15k of marines so if there is one thing I know it's how to kill those armies (especially with eachother)

here are a few suggestions...
1. Razorback! - it gets rid of the point of spending a ton of points on bright lances take the heavy bolter variant for sniping the avatar. Youu be suprised how quickly the avatar falls
2. Whirlwind . Hide it well and watch him cry
3. Lascannon, not melta... Wave serpents ignore melta bonus' so your better off with free missles or las cannons to punch av 12
4. Flamers in tac squads... And power fists to handle the wraith lord.
5. I don't remember if eldrad has eternal warrior, but I don think he does...
- if he doesn't shoot him with missle/ las
- if he does shoot him with razorbacks hvy bolters

a good squad-
10 men
power fist
flamer
missle launcher
razorback hvy bolters
combat squad it

more later

Chumbalaya
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Autocannons and Missile Launchers tear up Eldar armor, bring lots.

Avatar is slow and stupid, ignore it and laugh.

Wraithlords are slow and easy to kill in HtH or with AP3 shooting. Stupid again.

Hawks suck.

Mike X
12-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I was actually thinking about taking more flamers.

Let me elaborate a bit more on my lists.

My devastator squad is comprised of all missile launchers (sergeant has bolter).

My 9-man assault squad has a single plasma pistol.

I don't use meltaguns or powerfists, so my Predator has all lascannons. I'm thinking about replacing this with a whirlwind, and using the extra points to upgrade other units... or just include more troops.

My Land Speeder squadron has three heavy bolters, two assault cannons, and a Typhoon missile launcher.

One dreadnought has an assault cannon+flamer combo, the other lascannon+missile launcher.

I also bring sniper scouts.

My tactical squads I usually split into four 5-man squads: one all bolters, one with a plasmagun, one with a plasma cannon, and one with a heavy bolter. I'm thinking about including a couple flamers into my tactical squads.

Chumbalaya
12-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Assault Squads aren't going to do much of anything to Eldar, I'd drop them. Running in the open against a speedy army isn't the best plan.

Devvies are overpriced, but useful in this scenario.

Preds should have autocannons and heavy bolters, lascannons are just too pricey.

Split your Speeders up, Typhoons or MM/HF work best.

Give your Dreads both dual TLAC.

Tactical Squads need Rhinos so they can make use of their flamers.

therealjohnny5
12-28-2009, 02:41 PM
in additon to old chumby, i'd also encourage the Rhinos bc in a KP game you want to avoid a bunch of combat squads. 5 marines die too easy and in KP typically you want to minimize how many you have. On that note though break some up to take Razorbacks or rather as i do take RB's with your dev squads.

therealjohnny5
12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
also drop the assault and consider gating your librarian with sternguard...

Duke
12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
While Rhinos are nice, I still think Razors are better... especially for 5 pts worth of twin linked heavy bolters.

there is a point in have less KP's but if one combat squad sits back you shouldn't have a problem not getting it killed. (ideally)

Other than that great advice all in all. The dread could be dropped if you want to, what models do you have for expansion/ alternate lists?

Duke

Mike X
12-29-2009, 12:26 AM
what models do you have for expansion/ alternate lists?

I'm working on replacing the Predator with a Whirlwind, and adding more flamers to my tactical squads. I also have a drop pod, but no Rhinos (yet).

I have the best luck with:
-My assault squad.
-My Whirlwind.
-My Land Speeder squadron (two Tornadoes and one Typhoon, all with heavy bolters).

My tactical squads typically don't move much, and don't need to since my friend just rushes his infantry at me, so my marines just fire away. He plays a mostly assault army, aside from a sniper unit... but he does take advantage of whatever ranged weapons he has at his disposal.

Cyberscape7
12-29-2009, 01:17 PM
As an eldar player I can tell you Dont Target the wraithlord. They are VERY difficult to kill and it is usualy a waste of time hitting it with all your men. I would try to avoid it as much as possible but if you get a chance to hit it with a lascannon or better then take the chance. Hope that helps.

Duke
12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Try a list like this.

3 tac squads: approx 700 pts
10 men
P fist
Flamer
Las cannon
Razorback (TL HVY bolter)

Dev Squad: approx 150-ish?
- Either all ML or all Hvy bolters
- razorback (TL HVY bolters or TL Lascannons if you bring Missle launchers)

Whirlwind- 120?

Sternguard squad -200
-Rhino

Assault Squad 240
2x flamers
Rhino
HQ:
Vulkan 190

Add for flavour, this list should be about 1600-ish

DUKE