PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boyz Competition- again thoughts

josiah
08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Space marines 2500 point army list

Lysander- 200pt

Librarian- terminator armour, storm sheild, null feild, gate of infinity- 140pt

Assualt Terminators x10- 400pt

Venerable dreadnought- multi-melta, heavy flamer, ex. armor, drop pod, deathwing missile launcher, homing beacon- 245 pts

Venerable dreadnought- multi-melta, heavy flamer, ex. armor, drop pod, deathwing missile launcher, homing beacon- 245 pts

Tactical squad- power fists, melta gun, combi-melta, multi-melta, drop pod, deathwing missile launcher- 265 pts

Tactical squad- power fists, melta gun, combi-melta, multi-melta, drop pod, deathwing missile launcher- 265 pts

Tactical squad- flamer, power fist, combi-flamer, missile launcher, drop pod, deathwing missile launcher- 235 pts

Scout squad- Sniper rifles x4, heavy bolter- 85 pts

Scout squad- Sniper rifles x4, heavy bolter, combi-melta- 95 pts

Thunder-fire cannon- 100 pts

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
TFCs are dead meat as the only vehicles that actually do anything.

Min Scouts are going to get hit hard. Even going to ground they won't last.

Deathwinds are points filler since they can't fire upon landing.

I don't like the Terminators teleporting, they're too easy to avoid moving on foot.

If you want to do a DP army, it needs to be all about the alpha strike. Bring overwhelming force in 1 turn to break your opponent's back. Shrike+infiltrating assault terminators with fleet, Scouts, LSS, and DPs full of Sternguard and Dreads.

I'd prefer a more balanced mech list. Termies in Land Raiders, Tacs in Rhinos/Razors, Speeders, and the Dreads can stick in Pods to put pressure on early.

Jwolf
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I think Rhinos are going to be a better choice in this round, especially in all night fight game.

I'd drop back to 3 drop pods, drop the Dreads in on turn 1 and don't sweat the other pod.

josiah
08-02-2009, 09:10 PM
drop pods can fire on the trun they land. when they deep strike it like they moved 6 in.

having 3 TFC they all ways live more then one turn.

Assualt Terminators are on the bored on turn one but, teleport via Librarian's gate of infinity.

i must have Lysande, kantor, or calgar as an HQ to "stop" Psychic Battle Squads from making me fall off the bored.

Termies in Land Raiders are 4th ed, to much melta, to much st 10, to many points in 5th

mkerr
08-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Space marines 2500 point army list

I really do like this list. It's fantastic against just about every Ard Boyz contender.

I've given you some feedback on it in the past, but I'll repeat a couple of them.

1. The 3rd Thunder Fire Cannon isn't necessary. Two will accomplish everything they need to in this army.

2. The scouts are a little thin. I'd use the 100pts to beef them up a bit. What happened to the Teleport Homer on the Scouts? I'd also lose the Heavy Bolters on the Scouts. You should be in the 36"-48" range most of the game with them.

@Chumbalaya: You need to see the army on the table; it's surprisingly effective. I had my doubts, but it plays like one of those "answer for everything" lists and did a wonderful job controlling the pace of the game. It did an awesome job chewing up my IG. It was #3 on my list of armies to avoid at the Ard Boyz qualifier.

Darkwynn
08-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Josiah what are you going to do against 4 land raider list?

They are going to be able to control the assault and you won't. Something to think about.

Also tons of armored company and eldar will probably be at the regional would be my guess.

What are you going to do if someone shuts down your hammer like your librarian and the assault marines?

mkerr
08-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Josiah what are you going to do against 4 land raider list?

I don't think you should spend a lot of energy planning for the 4 LR list. There is going to be -- maybe -- one at the regionals. I think you should plan for more of the same.

I haven't looked, but it sounds like there's an all Nightfight mission? If so, Space Wolves are sounding even better.

-- MKerr

Darkwynn
08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I just know if Josiah and I play I am going to drop that librarian and lock him down. The dreadnoughts and tac sqauds are easy to deal with.

Thunderfire cannons you just shoot and blow up the weapon. After that they useless.

mkerr
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I just know if Josiah and I play I am going to drop that librarian and lock him down. The dreadnoughts and tac sqauds are easy to deal with.

I'd really like to see how your IG army handles the list (I've played both of your Ard Boyz lists recently). I think you've got the shots to really hurt the Librarian + Assault Terminators, but those guys are pesky.

Hopefully we'll see the match up in the next round.

-- MKerr

Darkwynn
08-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Well the psyker battle squad will just make them run off the board is all :)

just have to stay more then 24 inches away and i should be fine.

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
drop pods can fire on the trun they land. when they deep strike it like they moved 6 in.

having 3 TFC they all ways live more then one turn.

Assualt Terminators are on the bored on turn one but, teleport via Librarian's gate of infinity.

i must have Lysande, kantor, or calgar as an HQ to "stop" Psychic Battle Squads from making me fall off the bored.

Termies in Land Raiders are 4th ed, to much melta, to much st 10, to many points in 5th

Drop Pods aren't fast vehicles, unless that got FAQ'd.

They're still walking, and Gate can be shut down, not to mention the usual problems with Deep Striking (Mystics, proper deployment, placing 11 big bases anywhere).

3 AV10 artillery pieces that get destroyed by any penetrating or glancing hit? The epitome of survivability compared to those silly tissue box Land Raiders.

Yes, Psykers. Just use transports, or just gun down the T3 dudes, or bring a hood.

4th ed? You mean the edition where missile launchers could destroy them and storm shields and PotMS weren't awesome? Too many points? At 2500?

josiah
08-02-2009, 10:05 PM
I'd really like to see how your IG army handles the list (I've played both of your Ard Boyz lists recently). I think you've got the shots to really hurt the Librarian + Assault Terminators, but those guys are pesky.

Hopefully we'll see the match up in the next round.

-- MKerr

i do believe that i would come out on top of your army nick, because i had a army like yours in mind when i made the list. i do believe that i would have a problem with a mech eldar list what can i do for this. and i do not want to fight nick i want to go to Chicago with him. last Ard Boyz i did not need the 3rd TFC but this one i may need it more then ever for horde list " i"m not playing austin player any more"

Darkwynn
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I would drop one of the thunder fire cannons if not all three of them to be honest. You will do fine against horde orks with just normal troops on the board running flamers.

As for eldar you need something that is going to be able to take out either Wave serpent spam or Seer council bikes. The seer council you don't have to worry to much as anything they are going to attack is either going to get stalled our die. You have no big tanks for them to go hunting. They might go after Dreads but that is about it.

You would need to get some str 7/8 weapons in the list if you could or even assault cannons to help take out wave serpents. I would suggest Razorbacks but they are too fragile and devastators are too expensive. You won't win playing the game of Eldar so it will go down to the mission. If its a objective try to bunch up and hold on to some and you are going have to grind it out. make sure everything is supported by two or three units for counter attacks and etc.

mkerr
08-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I would drop one of the thunder fire cannons if not all three of them to be honest. You will do fine against horde orks with just normal troops on the board running flamers.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything in the list (besides dropping one of the TFCs for more Scouts) because you've had a lot of practice with the list. Sure there are a couple of armies that are going to be challenging, but your odds of facing them are low.

And, even if you get a tough army, they probably aren't going to be prepared for the way you are using the Assault Terminators. So unless you get a repeat game with a local player, you'll pull out a couple of nice tricks and crush them.

Best of luck!

-- MKerr