PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Falcons ??

bartschy
12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi,

O.K. Ias I keep building my Edar force I am going thru the tranport options.

I can't figure out what the advantage of taking a Falcon over a waveserpent is.

As far as I can see all units that need a ride can get a serpent which is cheaper and doesn't seem to have much downside to the I eat a heavy slot Falcon.

Anybody can tell me what I am missing here ?

Thanks

Marko

Shas'O D'Narb
12-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, I suppose even with BS3, the Falcon's pulse laser is an excellent weapon with good strength, ap, and range. The ability to equip holofields is the other major reason to field them instead of Serpents.

I think they're an excellent support tank that can complement the more oft-used Serpents which are used more often to zoom towards the enemy and deliver their payload of passengers whilst the Falcon helps them out, especially if the Falcon also drops off a supporting unit... the cornerstone to running a 'corps system' in an Eldar army, imho, if that's how you want to play.

Duke
12-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Don't waste the hvy slot... Use the serpents, serpents are great

pchappel
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
:) Well, if I could buy the Falcon as a dedicated transport, I'd probably do so in an instant... I think it loses out on my lists to the other Heavy Support options... If the Eldar (non Dark) had an assault transport (open topped or "assault" like a Land Raider), then I think I'd actually see Banshees and the like fielded, but...

Falcon I see transporting Fire Dragons or the like, the Pulse Laser and the other 2 potential heavy weapons (2 Sh Cannon is a common option here) can cut through hordes or light armor transport mounted forces... But the Wave Serpent is the one more often seen just because it is a dedicated transport of course...

theHman
12-29-2009, 08:27 AM
When you compare the Falcon to any of the other Heavy options, it should be a no-brainer why you wouldn't take falcons.

Squad of 3 war walkers will easily do more damage than a falcon.
Wraithlord is just awesome.
And the fire prism can easily wreak havoc on your enemy.

Maybe take a falcon over the Dark Reapers depending on your style of play and your opponent.

As far as the heavy wpn batteries go, I'm not impressed with them at all and would probably field a Falcon over them.

But why do that when you can take Walkers, Wraithlord and Prism?

Nabterayl
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
The one thing that a Falcon does better than anything else is stay alive. Holo-fields radically alter the vehicle damage table in favor of survivability, and if you feel like spending the points, it's easy to make them even more survivable. They aren't the cheapest transport or the most destructive heavy support option, but they are the toughest transport, if you want to make them.