PDA

View Full Version : Question: Are there temperature considerations for storing models?

errgin
03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Hello,

As the title states, I'm curious if there are dangers to storing metal/plastic/resin models in a garage in the Midwest US. I have shelving so they won't be on the floor. I just moved and I don't know exactly how cold or warm it gets. Also, I have most of the models in foam trays, some from KR, sabol and battlefoam, and those are mostly in Rubbermaid tubs. Other models are stored in tubs with egg carton foam around them or in trays in branded carrying cases.

Thank you for your input,

Josh

Blackcloud6
03-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Hello,

As the title states, I'm curious if there are dangers to storing metal/plastic/resin models in a garage in the Midwest US. I have shelving so they won't be on the floor. I just moved and I don't know exactly how cold or warm it gets. Also, I have most of the models in foam trays, some from KR, sabol and battlefoam, and those are mostly in Rubbermaid tubs. Other models are stored in tubs with egg carton foam around them or in trays in branded carrying cases.

Thank you for your input,

Josh

It is likely that your garage will get too hot in the summer and you will suffer warping of the plastic kits. A better storage place would be a basement but in the summer you will need to run dehumidifiers or you may get mold and the decals can get ruined. I've stored kits for 20+ years in my basement. Just be certain your basement does not flood and if it has a sump pump that it is working and you have a back-up.

spiralingcadaver
03-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Resin models are an issue on particularly hot days (so try to keep them reasonably cool); otherwise I've never had any issues.

SquigBrain
03-25-2014, 01:16 PM
I have had plastic bases warp (in the case even) after sitting in the back seat of my car on a hot day. So I would definitely say it was possible.