PDA

View Full Version : Would you play against a five year old?

Lunar Camel
03-11-2014, 11:07 PM
My son loves X-Wing and we play regularly. He plays both Rebels and Empire. He is mature for his age and kinda knows what he's doing. I say 'kinda' because he knows the game mechanics and rules, but does not have the greatest tactical mind. If you were in your FLGS and he was a player (either recreational or a tournament), would you play against him?

He's also not a sore loser either.

60-second swordsman
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
I don't play X-Wing, but I couldn't help but noticing the thread title in the forum index.

Yes, I would definitely play against him. I loved Star Wars myself at that age and always thought it was awesome when I got to talk about it and share my enthusiasm with grown-ups. So absolutely.

White Tiger88
03-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Sure and since i am just getting ready to start learning the game he would most likely win...........

Deadlift
03-12-2014, 03:16 AM
My Daughters 6 and we play x-wing once or twice a week. We started with the QuickStart rules but I am now introducing extra bits now like Focus and Target lock. Whilst she's not built her own uber 100pt lists we do have fun with one on one with the larger ships like the falcon v slave 1.
I don't worry too much about points at all really and just let her play with what she wants and try and have a somewhat equal match up.
It's good quality parenting time and we both enjoy it immensely. My 3 year old son is now showing interest but he is still a bit young.

So yes I think x wing is awesome for both adults and children and as a result my Daughters now taking an interest in other gaming systems like 40k.

Cant be bad :D

Going to your original question, yes I would play a 5 year old in a store, but insist on parent or guardian being on hand (helping).

spaceman91
03-12-2014, 03:19 AM
From the sound of it he's one of the kid that I wouldn't mind have a game against.

Tyrendian
03-12-2014, 04:31 AM
definitely would - one of the best times I ever had at a Games Day was when I was playing WFB "against" a maybe seven year old kid on one of the Store boards (father was nearby but not needed in the least). Jeez but he loved to splatter my "Greenies" all over the place with his Dwarf cannons - many laughs were had! :)

Nabterayl
03-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I've played BattleTech against a very mature five-year old before, and I think X-Wing is much more conducive to play by children than BattleTech. So yes.