PDA

View Full Version : First X-wing Fleet Atempt!

White Tiger88
03-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Well i am looking to start X-Wing so i was wondering what you guys think of my first attempt at a list? (These are my 3 favorite ships!)

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/54882/first-try-imperials

Tie Phantom 38
Sigma Squadron Pilot/TIE Phantom (29)
Navigator (3)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Targeting Computer (2)

Tie Defender 42
Delta Squadron Pilot/TIE Defender (30)
Homing Missiles (5)
Ion Cannon (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Tie Interceptor 20
Alpha Squadron Pilot/TIE Interceptor (18)
Targeting Computer (2)

100pts

Thoughts?

Deadlift
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
The two new ships, I've not seen really up close but IMO you have too few ships. 4 minimum for 100 pts unless your using a big ship like the Slave 1.

Me I'm running 8 bog standard tie fighters in my games at the moment, 12 points each.

White Tiger88
03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
The two new ships, I've not seen really up close but IMO you have too few ships. 4 minimum for 100 pts unless your using a big ship like the Slave 1.

Me I'm running 8 bog standard tie fighters in my games at the moment, 12 points each.

The Defender\Phantom are kinda big ships =/

Patrick Boyle
03-12-2014, 06:12 PM

Eh, I get by fine with three small ship Rebel lists, all depends how well you can fly it, though TIE swarm isn't really prevelant in my local meta so that might change things a bit. It's also a bit boring, it's hard to field lots of fun pilots when you're trying to cram in 4 :p

The Defender\Phantom are kinda big ships =/

That said in this case he's not really wrong, and no, not really. The real problem here is you have a low ship count of nothing but low PS pilots. Not only do you have few ships, you're shooting pretty well last with all of them against most lists. Low count tends to work for me because my pilots will usually get to fire first against higher ship count lists, and if I'm really lucky 1 or 2 out before they get to hit back. And beyond even that, the Defender and Phantom aren't even out yet, so we don't know anywhere near enough to give decent feedback on them.

The Defender, for instance; Going by it's card text alone, it's pretty damned survivable, with 3s across the board. What we don't know is, what does its manuever dial look like, or put another way, how much does it have to rely on those fancy high numbers?

The Phantom sort of has the opposite problem. That 4 attack value means it'll hit like a truck, but 2s across the board in its other stats is pretty damn scary. A lot of it is going to depend on what exactly its cloak ability does and how effective that is at keeping it alive... which leads me into what I can say about the choices, in the general context of the game.

At the very least the Targeting Computer is probably wasted on both ships you have it on. To begin with, generally, when given the choice between Focus and Target Lock, Focus is almost always the best choice in the first place. Spending points and giving up your Modification slot to gain what is, usually, the worse choice is a bit wasteful. For the Phantom specifically though, opting to Target Lock means you're giving up the ability to use your cloak ability which will probably be key to keeping the thing alive. The Interceptor, Interceptors generally really, tend to benefit more from a Stealth Device in the modification slot. They're already hard to hit, bumping up to 4 evasion die until you take your first hit is just mean. What might benefit Phantoms remains to be seen.

I would also wager, continuing on modifications, that the Defender will benefit more from a Stealth Device, but that all again depends on the dials. Or even if you give your ships upgrades in the first place; just because any ship can take them, doesn't mean every ship should. Also on the subject of the Defender, the Ion Cannon is probably a waste? You could use it to help setup a Range 1 attack with your normal guns the next turn, but at the very least it means carrying both the Cannon and the Missile is almost definitely a waste, in my opinion.

White Tiger88
03-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Well then if i want to start off with a Stealthish annoying imperial fleet what do you recommend? (I fully intend to get tie interceptors....and wouldn't mind useing Kir Kanos or the imperial guard)

Lykum
03-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Well then if i want to start off with a Stealthish annoying imperial fleet what do you recommend? (I fully intend to get tie interceptors....and wouldn't mind useing Kir Kanos or the imperial guard)

First off, the low ship count won't matter as much with the defender and the phantom. They are more durable than your standard TIEs since they have shields.

Navigator will most likely be a waste of points on a PS3 pilot anyway. He'll be moving before most other pilots, so there won't be much reason to change your mind on the maneuver. I'd also say that an ion cannon on a 3 attack TIE might be a waste as well, but it depends on how maneuverable the ship is, which we don't know yet. Overall, I'd just say take it easy with the upgrades. They're tempting to put on there, but more ships are usually the better use of points.

For pure annoyance, TIE Interceptors are awesome. Their huge range of movement options makes it hard to get a bead on them, and a skilled player will get on a rebel's 6 and stay there. They have good damage output, but they're still fragile compared to rebels. Wedge and Han can easily one-shot an Interceptor at range one. To play them well, you really need to practice. TIEs need to isolate a weaker ship and gang up on it until it's dead.

Try this to start. It is a pretty capable, but forgiving interceptor list:
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/55498/soontirs-felons

This list takes advantage of more of the crazy movement, but the lower ship count will make it tougher to survive.
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/55496/181st

White Tiger88
03-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Cool but since i like my own take on things.....What do you think of this? (I LOVE Imperial guard lol)

===========
Royal Guard
===========

Second Try

100 points

Pilots
------

Kir Kanos (26)
TIE Interceptor (24), Royal Guard TIE (0), Targeting Computer (2)

Carnor Jax (31)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Targeting Computer (2)

Royal Guard Pilot (27)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Targeting Computer (2)

Dark Curse (16)

------

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/55640/royal-guard
Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/55640

Lykum
03-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Cool but since i like my own take on things.....What do you think of this? (I LOVE Imperial guard lol)
View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/55640/royal-guard

I totally understand. I like doing my own thing too. Though, I think the first list I gave you might be a good one to play a few times since it focuses less on special abilities and more on just getting a feel for the interceptor.

Anyway, I like this list. The combo of Jax and Curse is interesting. A nice way of hampering their defense. Curse has gotten better since the initial release since there are more ships that can make you re-roll attack dice.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with this list in terms of wasted points. You will struggle with the low ship count, but that is a given for an Interceptor list. Curse's mobility and damage output with be pretty lackluster compared to the interceptors. He isn't a bad choice, but I'd consider dropping a targeting computer on Royal Guard or Kir Kanos to free up the points for Howlrunner. Howlrunner will just add an extra overall buff to your whole squad. You could also just take an Alpha pilot.

The defining difference between Royal Guard and the 181st is damage output vs mobility. I prefer the 181st because their mobility will give you chances to shoot and not be shot in return. Royal Guard can be good if you get lucky with the dice since ships that are blown up can't shoot back either.

Lykum
03-15-2014, 10:15 AM
At the very least the Targeting Computer is probably wasted on both ships you have it on. To begin with, generally, when given the choice between Focus and Target Lock, Focus is almost always the best choice in the first place. Spending points and giving up your Modification slot to gain what is, usually, the worse choice is a bit wasteful. For the Phantom specifically though, opting to Target Lock means you're giving up the ability to use your cloak ability which will probably be key to keeping the thing alive. The Interceptor, Interceptors generally really, tend to benefit more from a Stealth Device in the modification slot. They're already hard to hit, bumping up to 4 evasion die until you take your first hit is just mean. What might benefit Phantoms remains to be seen.

I kindof disagree with you on this point. Target lock on Soontir Fel is amazing. When you take PTL, he'll be focusing and target locking almost every turn. In general, stealth devices are one hit wonders. They feel awesome if your dice are hot, but not really worth 3 points in my opinion. You can take adrenaline rush or veteran instincts in combo with the targeting computer for the same points. Now you have solid abilities that will last the whole game. Plus, you have the option of locking a ship that will be in your firing arc next turn and then focusing. Now you have both.

White Tiger88
03-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Rebuilt the list to play pincer style on a friends advice! (Who keeps winning everything apparently....)

===========
Royal Guard
===========

Second Try

100 points

Pilots
------

Kir Kanos (26)

Carnor Jax (31)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Targeting Computer (2)

Krassis Trelix (43)
Firespray-31 (36), Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

------

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/55991/royal-guard
Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/55991

Patrick Boyle
03-16-2014, 09:32 AM
I kindof disagree with you on this point. Target lock on Soontir Fel is amazing. When you take PTL, he'll be focusing and target locking almost every turn. In general, stealth devices are one hit wonders. They feel awesome if your dice are hot, but not really worth 3 points in my opinion. You can take adrenaline rush or veteran instincts in combo with the targeting computer for the same points. Now you have solid abilities that will last the whole game. Plus, you have the option of locking a ship that will be in your firing arc next turn and then focusing. Now you have both.

On Soontir Fel, sure, FFG even points out that combo in one of their posts leading up to the Aces release, but he's a special case. And I did say generally, yeah, there's cases where it's useful, but especially on the lower skill pilots lacking EPT slots I'm not sure it's as useful. And maybe I just overestimate how effective Stealth Device is thanks to how bad I am at hitting ships with 4 evasion die.

Lykum
03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
On Soontir Fel, sure, FFG even points out that combo in one of their posts leading up to the Aces release, but he's a special case. And I did say generally, yeah, there's cases where it's useful, but especially on the lower skill pilots lacking EPT slots I'm not sure it's as useful. And maybe I just overestimate how effective Stealth Device is thanks to how bad I am at hitting ships with 4 evasion die.

I don't spend any points on low skill pilots, so I agree with you there.

Statistically, target lock and focus are identical when rolling to hit. 75% hit rate per die for both. The strength is being able to use them together which pushes it to a ridiculous 93% chance per die. I tend to drop a target lock on a turn when I know I won't be able to get a shot, on the next turn turn around and focus.

On the stealth device you only have a 37% success chance per die (not counting focus). With 3 dice you evade 1.125 times, and with 4 dice it is 1.5 times. If it was every turn I'd be all over it, but for 3 points there are better things to do.

White Tiger88
03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Well turns out i can't GET ANY OF THE SHIPS here so....Good going FFG!

Nabterayl
03-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Statistically, target lock and focus are identical when rolling to hit.
That's sort of true. However, while both result in a 75% chance to land any sort of hit, target lock improves your chances of landing a critical hit from 12.5% to 23.4%, which is why I always use target lock instead of focus if I know I'm only looking for offensive utility.

White Tiger88
03-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Alright i am stuck between these lists, i am a pretty aggressive player and love speed so i am not sure which one is the best fit! (And i am ordering my ships tomorrow!)

list #1
========
===========
Royal Guard
===========
100 points

Pilots
------

Kir Kanos (26)

Carnor Jax (31)

Krassis Trelix (43)
Firespray-31 (36), Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

List #2
--------

===========
Royal Wrath
===========
100 points

Pilots
------

Carnor Jax (32)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Hull Upgrade (3)

Colonel Jendon (29)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (26), ST-321 (3)

Academy Pilot (12)

Kir Kanos (27)
TIE Interceptor (24), Hull Upgrade (3)

List #3
---------
===============
Fel\Jax Shuttle
===============

100 points

Pilots
------

Soontir Fel (33)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3), Hull Upgrade (3)

Carnor Jax (32)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Hull Upgrade (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (23)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Academy Pilot (12)

List #4
----------
==================
Interceptor Power
==================

100 points

Pilots
------

Carnor Jax (33)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Shield Upgrade (4)

Saber Squadron Pilot (27)
TIE Interceptor (21), Push the Limit (3), Hull Upgrade (3)

Avenger Squadron Pilot (20)

Avenger Squadron Pilot (20)

Lykum
03-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Sorry, just saw this today. Based on what you've been saying, I'd go with list 1 or 4. The shuttle will just bum you out.

White Tiger88
03-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Sorry, just saw this today. Based on what you've been saying, I'd go with list 1 or 4. The shuttle will just bum you out.

Lovely.....So Vader isn't worth it compared to an interceptor character since i don't really get to abuse his pistol skill is he? (I mean....his attacks suck)