PDA

View Full Version : 2k IG list need some advice since I have been deployed

Broxus
12-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Gents,

I have been really trying to think about my future IG army list. I have what I feel a pretty solid core but am really having problems trying to fill my remaining slots. Here is what I have so far, advice is welcome.

-Company Command Squad, with Astropath and 4 Plasma guns all loaded in a Chimera (my plasma taxi)

-Sly Marbalo, (my reach out and kill that unit guy)

-Psyker Battle Squad (8), mounted in a Chimera (my large blast template/ leadership reducing squad)

-LRBT, with Plasma Cannon Turrets (Hurts even the heaviest troops)

-LRBT, with Plasma Cannon Turrets (Hurts even the heaviest troops)

-Manticore, (Long range tank killer or troop killer)

-Platoon Command Squad, with 4 flamers mounted in a Chimera (my kill any swarm squad)

-Infantry Squad, with Grenade Launcher and Auto Cannon mounted in a Chimera (Objective holder and support by fire unit)

-Infantry Squad, with Grenade Launcher and Auto Cannon mounted in a Chimera (Objective holder and support by fire unit)

-Vet Squad with 3 Melta guns mounted in a Chimera (anti infantry vehicle)

-Vet Squad, with 3 Melta guns mounted in the Valkyire with MRP's (scout move, kill tanks)

-Valkyire with Mutiple Rocket Pods (transport my melta vets and provide anti horde firepower after dropping off vets, late game objective grabber)

-Speical Weapons Squad, with Demo Charge and 2X flamers mounted in a Vendetta (This squad is designed to clear an objective late game by riding in the Vendetta and then holding it FTW)

-Vendetta with 3X TW Lascannons (transports my SWS for late game obective clearing and securing)

SOOO... this leaves me with about 110 pts left what would you guys recommend adding to this list or changing in it? What has been performing well out there? I have been deployed for the last 10months so I have had limited playing time with the new codex. I think the list is very balanced and it can deal with horde OR armor. It has a total of 9 AV 12 vehicles and 2 AV 14 vehicles.

Lord Azaghul
12-29-2009, 10:24 AM
The list looks pretty standard.
You could lay down an unmeched infanty squad w autocannons just to have some more boys in the table.
Keep in mind a squad in a vehicle can NOT recived orders.
And then a nice small group of ratlings (like 4- nice and cheap, but disposible and a good threat to MC’s)

Unholy_Martyr
12-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I agree this seems to be a rather generic list; however, I have a few concerns/questions if you will.

1) The Plasma Cannon Leman Russ Battle Tanks: In order to capitalize on the load out you have chosen you will have to remain stationary. While this may not be a huge issue in some cases, this could cost you dearly in the long run. Personally, I would try and run these guys a little cheaper to give you some more flexibility. (i.e. Heavy Bolter Sponsons on both or Heavy Flamers) This frees up anywhere from 50-80 pts which could afford you another Veteran Squad in a Chimera decked out with Meltas.

2) With the 110 pts left over: As azaghul said, a foot infantry platoon could be an idea, granted you would only afford the command squad and 1 Infantry squad (You need a minimum of two). Another idea would be to turn the Special Weapons squad into a Veteran Squad with upgrades and kit out your Vehicles or other units. (i.e. Enclosed Crew Compartment for Manticore or Carapace armor for your Command Squad)

3)Infantry in Chimeras: In my opinion, Infantry squads in Chimeras are only really effective in a few circumstances. One way, this is personally my favorite, is to surprise the hell out of your enemy would be to use Al'arahem and outflank with 3 Chimeras. That would most certainly throw your opponent off balance and be a nice assist for Marbo.

SlavesToDarkness
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
1) More squads in that platoon! Drop the Chimeras, add more squads, some heavy weapon squads and a comissar so that you can "blob up" if necessary. You might even be able to run a 2nd platoon with 1 Chimera for the command squad (Chimeras on command squads are totally fine).

2) UPGRADE! Make one of those regular Russes an Executioner (my favorite tank). It kills the CRAP out of any infantry. Better than a demolisher because at close range it won't scatter into your own stuff and explode them.

3) Max out that Psyker battle squad.

4) Inquisitor with Psykic Hood.

Broxus
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree this seems to be a rather generic list; however, I have a few concerns/questions if you will.

1) The Plasma Cannon Leman Russ Battle Tanks: In order to capitalize on the load out you have chosen you will have to remain stationary. While this may not be a huge issue in some cases, this could cost you dearly in the long run. Personally, I would try and run these guys a little cheaper to give you some more flexibility. (i.e. Heavy Bolter Sponsons on both or Heavy Flamers) This frees up anywhere from 50-80 pts which could afford you another Veteran Squad in a Chimera decked out with Meltas.

2) With the 110 pts left over: As azaghul said, a foot infantry platoon could be an idea, granted you would only afford the command squad and 1 Infantry squad (You need a minimum of two). Another idea would be to turn the Special Weapons squad into a Veteran Squad with upgrades and kit out your Vehicles or other units. (i.e. Enclosed Crew Compartment for Manticore or Carapace armor for your Command Squad)

3)Infantry in Chimeras: In my opinion, Infantry squads in Chimeras are only really effective in a few circumstances. One way, this is personally my favorite, is to surprise the hell out of your enemy would be to use Al'arahem and outflank with 3 Chimeras. That would most certainly throw your opponent off balance and be a nice assist for Marbo.

Thanks so much for the feedback firstly.

Here is my thoughts on the tanks, I dont move them often if at all unless I need to get into a better position. I also like the ability that they can scare even terminators for only 40pts more. Not to mention this thing can destroy units at a time with 1 battle cannon shot, 2 plasma cannon shots, and 3 HB shots (depending if I need it). For 190pts its just a steal and scares any infantry in the game.

I really like adding the extra infantry but really dont like them dismounted. They are slow and have no real firepower, and an easier KP. Also very intresting idea about Al'arahem, I may look at that option.

The other option I considering are:
-1 Vendetta, mount up my PCS in it with flamers and make one of my tanks an executioner
-1 Infantry squad with autocannon/GL in Chimera
-1 Hellhound variant of some sort
-2X 5 man sniper teams
-2X Mortar Squads
-Missile Launcer/Autocannon Squad in a Chimera
-Outflanking Sentnels w/autocannons

Unholy_Martyr
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Of those other options...I'm liking the idea of Outflanking the Sentinels with Autocannons the most, granted I love Outflanking because it makes people do a double-take after slamming into my gunline and realizing that there are 3 Outflanking Vendettas/Valkyries with 3 Squads of Veterans ready to score and kill.

Polonius
12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I second upgrading the LRBTs to executioners. I've run both extensively, and LREs are vastly superior, against a wider range of targets.

Try deploying a few squads on foot. If kept cheap (I've advocated AC/GL since the book came out) they can hold an objective and provide a little anti-transport. If your enemy has good long range anti-infantry, they can go to ground, or hide behind a tank.

The bane wolf is pretty amazing. A flamer template that wounds on a 2+ with AP3? Yes please! keep in mind that it's pretty much a one shot, but it is a fast vehicle and can shred MEQs.

Broxus
01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
If I had to lose 40pts to make my list 1850 what would you take out and what would you recommend that I change?

Thanks

Polonius
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I'd need to see the list of what you're taking first. I'm not sure what you've added to the originally posted list.

Broxus
01-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd need to see the list of what you're taking first. I'm not sure what you've added to the originally posted list.

Its the very first post on this thread.

Thanks

Polonius
01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Ah, I didn't realize that was 2000pts.

Umm, the astropath is pretty expendable, as are the MRPs on the valks. Marbo is the obvious choice to clear all 40pts, you could then spend the 25pts left over on some toys.

If it were me, I'd drop the astropath, and switch the Demo Charge for a third flamer.

snikrot
01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
you need more troops