-- Plasma Cannon Armored Sentinel

Armored Sentinel Squadron:

Heavy Support: 510 Pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Fun times and all that. A new years eve present.

Unholy_Martyr
12-31-2009, 06:19 PM
One thing that stands out to me from this list: Plasma obscenity! The shear awesomeness of 6 Plasma Cannons raining death down is enough to force a grim smirk from me. Also loving the Leman Russ Battle Tanks doing about the same thing with their Battle Cannon rounds.

If I were to play this list, I think I would make several changes:

1) Drop the Heavy Stubbers from all of the vehicles for 2 reasons: I either forget to use them or would prefer the points spent on other goodies.

2) Keep the Chimeras all Multi-Laser and Heavy Flamer, nothing like Shakin' and Bakin' :-).

3) Possibly give the Leman Russ' Lascannons for those rare moments when 13 Melta Guns just couldn't pull it off. Or give them Heavy Flamers for when the bugs come around and they want to play can opener on my tank.

Melissia
12-31-2009, 06:30 PM
1) Drop the Heavy Stubbers from all of the vehicles for 2 reasons: I either forget to use them or would prefer the points spent on other goodies.

I don't forget to use them. The heavy stubbers allow the chimeras to shoot two weapons while moving, which they cannot do otherwise.

RocketRollRebel
01-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I loooove mech vet IG! Its such a more fun way to play instead of the old gun line guard. Anyway my comments. I'm not sure if this is fluff driven or not but I would consider taking off the carapace and power fists from the veteran squads. Just dropping the carapace from everybody gets you a whole other vet squad. I find it doesn't seem to do that great of a job at keeping them alive. Thats what our rolling bunkers do. But I'm an awful power gamer half the time and have never even bothered to buy carapace for my Vostroyan guard army:o.

Moving on...The power fists I guess could be cool. I've thought of trying them but I always end up spending the points on more guns.

But it looks like a pretty solid list tho and even with all the extra veteran gear you still really bring the pain.

Hope this helps!

also sorry for the rambling. New years hangover ugh!:confused:

Chumbalaya
01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Losing the powerfists, stubbers and carapace armor frees up 265 points!

Armored Sents have PCs, for 220 points less you can have an Executioner with a net loss of 1 plasma cannon.

485 points saved at this point.

Normal Russes don't need sponsons, they need to keep moving. Swap for a hull heavy flamer to deal with anything that gets too close for comfort and you've got 40 more points to play with (210 since you dropped 1 Russ to fit in the Exec).

695 points saved!

That's plenty to pick up a pair of Vendettas to help nail armor as well as an infantry platoon to help hold objectives and protect your Exec (autocannons out the yin-yang, stick the PCS in a Vendetta). Be extra fun and toss in an Inquisitor with 2 mystics, have him ride in a Vendetta and go nuts on anything that feels like DSing close. You'll probably have points leftover after all that too, so you may just want to look into adding HWS for more dakka or squeezing in a PBS or two for some extra fun.

Polonius
01-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I agree with Chumbalaya. If nothing else, the carapace is definitly a luxury item.

Melissia
01-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Losing the powerfists and carapace armor makes the vets less able to assault after firing. Might as well drop the shotguns, too then, because if they're just going to sit there and shoot, there's no point of them having shotties.

Sents are cooler than executioners, also they're more survivable because you have to destroy each sentinel, whereas one lucky hit will wipe out the executioner.Three squadrons of sentinels also lets me divide my fire better than two executioners, and they don't take up heavy support slots. And they're cooler.

I don't need my russes to keep moving, and why the hell would I in this list? I want them to sit there and fire their weapons. Most gaming tables are small enough that I can fire at most targets without deploying. In fact I'm at a disadvantage if I move up close to the enemy like you suggest, because a basic Marine can cause glancing hits when assaulting a Russ, nevermind other stronger opponents, powerfists, and whatnot.

Vendettas would break the theme of the army, and they're not as cool as sentinels.

**** the Inquisition.

Chumbalaya
01-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Guard assaulting, powerfist or no, isn't going to accomplish much. They're expendable and crappy in assault, why bother? Shotty vs lasgun is about as inconsequential as decided how to pose them, the real action comes from the meltas they cart around.

Sents are in Squadrons and AV12, Execs are much more resilient. If it's sitting back behind bubblewrap, only Railguns and lances will worry it since most melta will be out of range. Chicken walkers didn't work out so well for another Empire, if I recall correctly :P

An immobile Russ without a wall of infantry around it is a dead Russ, simple as that. Giving up the 4+ to hit for a handful of S5 shots at BS3 isn't worth it.

Vendettas > all, but infantry with lascannons and voxes using BiD make good substitutes.

If you're not keen on the Inquisition, how about tossing in some Sisters. They can give you the resilient, tarpitty goodness your seem to be trying with your Vets.

SlavesToDarkness
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Chumbalaya is totally correct about everything he's mentioned so far.

However...

I am not against Carapace armor because the 4+ save can actually be useful, it's characterful and I like the models.

That being said, I think you're falling on your sword with regard to the heavy stubbers etc. If you kick off the stubbers and the powerfists you net 150pts. That's another Russ by itself. Being able to get 3 more S4 shots off of your Chimeras is not worth it. The tanks are so cheap that upgrading them just decreases their efficiency massively.

I also think you're dead wrong when it comes to sponsons. Regular Russes are useless with sponsons. The only thing sponsons belong on is Executioners (plasma cannons). If you drop those you net another 60pts for a total of 210.

I would use those points to upgrade at least one tank to an Executioner with Plasma Cannon Sponsons and a heavy flamer. Those are absolute nightmares.

For the rest: drop a Chimera, pickup a vendetta or valkyrie and then pick up another sentinel.

Melissia
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I might get the executioner, but I am never going to add a valkyrie or vendetta to this list. Ever. And you cannot convince me otherwise.

Chumbalaya
01-04-2010, 06:38 PM
They're full of candy.

Melissia
01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
That only works on preteen schoolboys, Chumbalaya :P

Chumbalaya
01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Exactly.

Melissia
01-04-2010, 10:54 PM
How you confuse me with Sangre I don't know...

SlavesToDarkness
01-06-2010, 12:36 AM
It's your choice, but I think you're falling on your sword again.

Valkyries are amazingly fantastic. It's an incredible difference between having them and not having them. The ability to actually grab objectives is amazing.