PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Orks

Deej
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Are there any?

snikrot
01-01-2010, 01:25 PM
i dont think orks are smart enough to know about the chaos gods they have worked with chaos agents before.

mysterex
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes. They were described in WD279 (Australasian edition) in the article "The Downward Spiral" which discussed Daemonhunter adversaries and even included a photo of some converted models.

Before you get too excited, there were no special rules covering them.

Valkerie
01-01-2010, 05:59 PM
The 1st ed. supplement Freebooters had some rules for Khorne worshiping Orks, but that was pretty well dropped in 2nd. ed. I think the basic idea now is that Orks are so closely attached to Mork and Gork that they literally CAN'T fall for any other god. But, I could easily be wrong.

entendre_entendre
01-01-2010, 06:25 PM
perhaps Gork and Mork are Chaos Gods, just with difernet names with Orkified traits so the Orks will follow them (or maybe the Orks just gave them those traits because they liked them so much). ooooh conspiracy!

although i do remember seeing a conversion of a chaos Ork in WD years back, but that's it.

Melissia
01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Orks do not naturally turn to Chaos because of the everpresent nature of the gestalt psychic field that all Orks generate known as the Waaagh!. And Orks that do turn to chaos die quickly because they're not orky enough and therefor get killed by bigger, meaner Orks. And bigger, meaner Orks don't turn to chaos because they have even more Waaagh! energies.

Sitnam
01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Im not sure where I heard this from, but I heard a theory in that other, non-Gork/Mork warp beings have a hard time possesing Orks. Kind of like them being trapped in an empty box, so to say.

Nabterayl
01-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I think the problem with Chaos orks is really just that orks are about the only happy race in 40K. How does one of the Chaos gods seduce an ork? By offering him physical pleasure? He gets that already by fighting, feasting, going fast, etc. By telling him that it's okay to be selfish and seek his own pleasure? He already believes that, and is part of a culture that reinforces it. So ... Slaanesh is going to have a tough time.

By holding out the possibility that things can change? He doesn't really want things to change, except to get bigger and 'arder ... which his physiology allows him to do by fighting, which gives him physical pleasure anyway. So Tzeentch doesn't have much to work with.

By offering him solace from despair? Possible, but it takes a lot to make an ork despair, and when they do, they tend to find their solace in fighting, feasting, looting, rocking out, going fast ... hardly Nurglish activities.

By telling him that it's okay to embrace his rage, to solve problems through physical violence, and offering him unparalleled skill and power as a warrior? He already believes those things, and again, his physiology allows him unparalleled skill and power as a warrior just from fighting, which also gives him physical pleasure ... so what is Khorne left with?

Not to say that it's impossible for an ork, or even a whole tribe, to fall to Chaos. But the Ruinous Powers really have very little to work with when it comes to seducing orks, compared to seducing other races.

Just_Me
01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Nabterayl makes a great point in that they really are the only happy and content 40k race, they like fighting, looting, and smashing things and they can do that constantly. Their own society and physiology already rewards them for doing those things well, add to that their deep instinctive resentment and distrust of things "unorky" and there really isn't much wiggle room left for the Chaos Gods is there?

Also, to add to that and to Melissa's earlier point, the way the Orks interact with the Warp is unique, and uniquely self contained. Their psykers can certainly be possessed by Daemons (there have been enough blurbs in the fluff to show that), but it isn't as likely as it is for the other races.

Add to that the fact that the warp hold no real horror for the Orks as it does for others, they see everything in existence, including Chaos, as falling into two categories; things to smash and things that might help them smash. The sort of existential horror that the warp generates in the other races simply doesn't cross their minds, they are too engaged in beating its brains out with something heavy (and maybe even sharp) or shooting it full of as many holes as they can with the biggest noisiest gun they can find.

None of this is to say that you can't make a cool thematic army and give it some solid backstory if want to, it just isn't an everyday occurrence like humans falling to chaos corruption, and it probably wouldn't really change the way they behave in game terms very much at all.

Deej
01-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Cheers for all that - last time I read an Ork codex was 2E, and that was a long time ago so my knowledge of their background is a tad hazy!

Aenir
01-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Couldnt it be because (in the necron codex) they are the only race created after the Nightbringer went to sleep, and thus have no fear of death?

RocketRollRebel
01-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the problem with Chaos orks is really just that orks are about the only happy race in 40K. How does one of the Chaos gods seduce an ork? By offering him physical pleasure? He gets that already by fighting, feasting, going fast, etc. By telling him that it's okay to be selfish and seek his own pleasure? He already believes that, and is part of a culture that reinforces it. So ... Slaanesh is going to have a tough time.

By holding out the possibility that things can change? He doesn't really want things to change, except to get bigger and 'arder ... which his physiology allows him to do by fighting, which gives him physical pleasure anyway. So Tzeentch doesn't have much to work with.

By offering him solace from despair? Possible, but it takes a lot to make an ork despair, and when they do, they tend to find their solace in fighting, feasting, looting, rocking out, going fast ... hardly Nurglish activities.

By telling him that it's okay to embrace his rage, to solve problems through physical violence, and offering him unparalleled skill and power as a warrior? He already believes those things, and again, his physiology allows him unparalleled skill and power as a warrior just from fighting, which also gives him physical pleasure ... so what is Khorne left with?

Not to say that it's impossible for an ork, or even a whole tribe, to fall to Chaos. But the Ruinous Powers really have very little to work with when it comes to seducing orks, compared to seducing other races.

and that is why Orks is da best!

Tyrsday
01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
and that is why Orks is da best!

Like!

I do remember when Witch Hunters came out that they were giving explanations why they would fight different factions and why said factions would have a Greater Daemon fighting with them in a WD. Adrian Wood, the most Orkziezt Dwarfer of all time, did a Nurgle infested Ork army with a Great Unclean One as the Warboss, apparently the aforementioned 'boss put on a helmet or something else shiny if I remember right and became possessed.

This was, however, the same article that had the Tau working with a Keeper of Secrets that had beguiled them into thinking its bedding was for the Greater Good.

Counterpoint to my counterpoint: In Blood Quest, with Leonatos, one of the baddies for a story arc was an Ork Warboss possessed by Chaos. Leo takes off his head and he keeps talking, even telling the Blood Angel Captain-Exile that the sword he was looking for was in the Eye of Terror. The Warboss's death then opened a hole into the Warp allowing our intrepid adventurers access.

Nabterayl
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Oh, orks can totally be possessed. It just seems like it would be a lot harder to possess/beguile an ork than it would be to possess/beguile a human, or an eldar.

tommox
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
There's a cool drawing of some nurgle orks in the daemon hunters codex on page 50-51

Just_Me
01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, orks can totally be possessed. It just seems like it would be a lot harder to possess/beguile an ork than it would be to possess/beguile a human, or an eldar.

Precisely, Orks can certainly be corrupted and possessed, it's just that their society and biology happen to make them more resistant than other species.

Madness
01-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Premise: I completely agree with the "orks aren't easily swayed" argument, but for the sake of exercise I've been thinking about their psycological weaknesses and what angle could be used to taint them, like for an RPG campaign or whatever.

Orks know and value cunning, so there is some pleasure in scheming and plotting, albeit unusual, perverting this attitude might prove an entry point for Tzeentch.

Orks are not immune to fear and in several occasion they can be (or become) quite cowardly, most often when outnumbered, the promise for more power (more killy!) or a resolution to their frustration are leverage points for Khorne and Nurgle.

Slaanesh will have the hardest time, but considering how dedicated the orks can be at times (I'm thinking Painboyz/Mekboyz) it might provide an occasion for perversion of a non sexual passion, verged on the "artistic" pulses of some Oddboyz.

Melissia
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Orks are not psychologically weak. Intellectually weak yes, psychologically? No. They are supremely confident in their status in the world as the biggest, strongest, and meanest of all the races in the galaxy, and shaking this belief is nearly impossible, if it can be done at all. Humans are psychologically weak. Tau can be when taken away from their Ethereal caste. Mutants and thousands of other xenos can be, too. Orks? Supremely confident, overconfident even in their defeats that the inevitable victory will be theirs.

Stormlord Aeirling
Chaos gods have alot to offer to the orks. Power, more power, loot, more power, even more loot, lots of power, lots of loot etc

I can see how a few ork warlords and shamans may be tempted to work for the chaos gods, provided they have alot to offer them in return.

Madness
@Melissia: You're confusing having a weakness with being weak.

Melissia
01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Chaos gods have little to offer an Ork, as described above.

Madness: No, I'm not. I'm not even saying "don't do it" or that it can't happen. Just that it's extremely rare for such a thing to occur, and when it does typically every other ork gangs up on them and beats them to death for being Un-Orky. And the bigger the Ork is, the more resistant they are to the lures of Chaos, because of the innate natures of the WAAAGH! gestalt psychic field.

Nabterayl
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
@Mel: You did say "Orks are not psychologically weak." As nobody had suggested they are, it certainly seemed like you had mistaken Madness' "I've been thinking about their psychological weaknesses" for a suggestion that orks are psychologically weak.

@Madness: I think those are all reasonable ideas. If you were going to have Chaos orks (in an RPG campaign or whatnot, as you say), I think those are all reasonable hooks.

Aldramelech
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Goodbye

Just_Me
01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Leaving aside the actual question of whether Chaos Orks can exist for a moment (I am reasonably sure that they can, just not with the same frequency of humans and other races), an interesting question has been brought up about the Ork psyche. To my mind they Ork psyche is uniquely robust for one important reason; they are designed from the genetic level up to be devoid of any sort of self doubt. This can be exemplified in the following quote from their codex:

Orks is never beaten in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die so it don't count as beat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

The concept of defeat or failure is utterly alien to them, even when they are defeated it doesn't even shake their calm. As a race they fully believe in their own manifest destiny, that of being the strongest beings in the galaxy. As individuals each one believes that they are in truth the strongest of all the the Orks, all they need is the chance to show it. They can both witness and commit things that would shatter a human mind and remain largely unaffected.

An Ork is on some basic level incapable of experiencing self doubt, so they are unable to accept that they have any weaknesses, and so they don't see the need for any help to compensate for said weaknesses. In humans this sort of perspective would be considered megalomania and quite unhealthy, but in Orks it is just normal. The thing about megalomaniacs is, their minds are notoriously difficult to change once they are set. Thus, as we discussed, Chaos would be hard pressed to come up with a way to entice them.

Humans on the other hand may be very set and determined on a goal, but on some level will usually entertain the prospect that their abilities will not be up to the task. It is through this door that Chaos can sometimes find a way in; if you are unsure of your abilities, then you might be inclined to look to outside sources to augment or compensate for them.

As a final note however, we have abundant evidence that in the 40k universe Chaos is in some ways literally as well as figuratively infectious, extended exposure to it is like a viral or bacterial infection, or perhaps more like hard radiation exposure. Sooner or later it will almost certainly begin to corrupt you, whether you make a conscious decision or not. Someone with a strong enough will this might not be turned by it, but over time their bodies would suffer (cancers, infections, and simple wasting), while those with even the smallest chink in their "armour of contempt" will eventually succomb to it and serve it. We know that along with being psychologically robust, the Orks are physically resilient, so they might be able to hold out much longer against the literally infectious elements of Chaos, but given enough exposure even they might finally become tainted.

Madness
01-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Forgive this EXTREMELY dickish move, but I like people to be able to understand me, I'm trying to get a rep as a fair and balanced contributor.

Premise: I completely agree with the "orks aren't easily swayed" argument, but for the sake of exercise I've been thinking about their psycological weaknesses and what angle could be used to taint them, like for an RPG campaign or whatever.

Orks are not psychologically weak. Intellectually weak yes, psychologically? No.

@Melissia: You're confusing having a weakness with being weak.

Chaos gods have little to offer an Ork, as described above.

Madness: No, I'm not. I'm not even saying "don't do it" or that it can't happen. Just that it's extremely
rare for such a thing to occur

See, basically we're not in disagreement, but I was trying to go a step further in the analysis. Please forgive this low blow.

About the gestalt and stubborness, I think their power is being a little overstated, orks do possess an instinct of self preservation and are subject to fear (and terror :p). Yes they are not your average IG conscript fresh of academy, but they aren't as stubborn as your average inquisitor (is there such a thing as average inquisitors?). There's a big divide between the determination of a warboss/nob and every other boy or even grot, orkish safety is a safety in numbers, if the numbers start to sway and they get outnumbered too badly, or if a boy with just a slugga meets a really scary tyranid creature, they aren't too shy about doing a 180° turn and start running.

Basically what is being depicted in this post as "impossible" should be promoted to "unlikely" orks do doubt their abilities or they wouldn't be able to craft combat plans other than "we go forward and we smash them". Your depiction would be very fitting for a large warboss leading a large WAAAGH! But consider that there are Orks out there that due to lack of fights have resorted to being squig farmers, waiting for a chance for a new waaagh!

Take the Gorkamorka setting for a moment and consider that the lowly yoof is hardly as decisive and stubborn as a dedicated digganob, so it's not like Orks and humans are on two incomparable scales, it's just that orks tend to be thick and one minded as the stereotypical hooligan they are based on. Oi!

Melissia
01-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Madness: Actually it is rather specifically stated that Orks do not possess a fear of death. It's part of the Necron fluff regarding the C'tan Stargod Nightbringer. Orks simply do not feel fear like we humans do. They might run away in order to fight again another day, but that's not because they're afraid of death. It's because they realize they can't win and they need to come back with more boyz and more gunz later.

Madness
01-16-2010, 01:25 AM
This can get to a metaphysic point. Orks might not have fear of death as intended by human standards, but they do have a preservation instinct or they would be immune to any psychological effect, and they are not. Orks do know fear, maybe not human fear, but some weird kind of fear. Orks are afraid of bigger orks, of wild warpboyz, of extremely scary creatures.

Sadly the Necron fluff is very poorly written and might have encompassed this part.

We don't want to call it fear? We want to use the "extremely concerned about -" formula? We might, even tho we do have instances in which the orks sound scared, and I'm not just talking about the videogame soundclips "we's getting shot".

The fear mechanism is a big key point in survival mechanisms in real nature, so it's possible that the brainboyz when engineering the race put an "emulation" system that replicates fear whenever fear is useful without making them implicitly able to be afraid. But then again, "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck."

Just_Me
01-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Well, the thing about the Orks and fear is that they were engineered by the Old Ones as expendable super-shock-troops, they were designed without fear (as we understand it) in their emotional repetoir. The C'tan literally used fear as a weapon in ways that are entirely beyond modern understanding of psychological warfare (prime example; in some as yet unclear way the Nightbringer imprinted himself into the racial memory of the universe as the manifestation of death and fear). Given this fact, "fear" would become a liability in their soldiers. The result is that the Orks really don't experience "fear" anything like any other race in the galaxy.

They may have some form of self preservation instinct (and it seems likely as not having one would be a liability), but this also seems to operate rather differently than it does in other races. Individually or in small groups Orks will prioritize self preservation, (it's like they were programmed with a java if statment "if ork_number < 7 then flee"). However, when in large groups those same individual Orks will take literally suicidal actions to destroy the enemy. Their sense of self preservation is case and circumstance dependent, quite differently than it is in any other species.

AirHorse
01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Arent the ork gods supposed to be absolutely monstorous powers in the warp too? Im sure I remember a mention about them being gargantuan entities in one of their codicies. Maybe theres not too many chaos orks since the chaos powers are actually scared of the orks :P

Melissia
01-21-2010, 07:17 PM
The most recent codex lists them as utterly invincible brutes of the warp.

Nabterayl
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Orks are the only race in the universe with gods that aren't afraid of the Ruinous Powers, and/or haven't been soundly beaten by the Ruinous Powers either. Hard to believe that doesn't help their chances when it comes to the whole corruption thing.

Madness
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I love overstatements.

What says Orks never ate fistfuls of pointy power fists? They have, in several occasions.

Also their psykers are more likely to be possessed than most trained psykers (grey knights, spiritseers, farseers, zoanthropes, heck even primaris psykers are better at handling them).

And Ork race is more likely to fall to chaos than many other things (assassins, Tau, Necrons, Tyranids, grey knights again, craftworld eldar).

Orks are resilient, no doubt about it, but not impervious as people trained to be/tooled to be/naturally immune to chaos.

Nabterayl
01-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I didn't mean that orks had never been soundly beaten by the Ruinous Powers. I meant that their gods haven't been.

Ferrett
01-22-2010, 07:15 AM
There's Chaos everything including Rebel Inquisition (unknown about Necron but that's the only one I doubt). Orks vs the others.... I'd say Orks are as likely to turn chaos as Nids are. Both are run by the rule of mass, meaning a certain critical mass would be needed to be independantly converted before the rest of the mass begins to see what's so good about them foriegn gods.

The other thing you have to consider is the belief in Gork and Mork. You'd have to convert them without stopping them from believing in their true gods.... which would be difficult.

Tacoo
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
If the enteties of Gork and Mork are akin to that of the chaos gods, then Perhaps why Chaos orks are so few is because orks are always worshiping these two. Being Orky could then be what gives them power, since usually also the most orky orks are also the biggest orks, while less orky orks tend to not be so big (anyone ever hear of 10 ft kommandos? i thought not.) and the Waaagh energies produced by orks sorta act as a dampner between the Energies of Chaos and the Orks. reading this thread it seems the biggest chance of khaos orks is when they unwittingly use a possed item, which allows a direct contact between a ork and the chaos being, nullifing the orky blanket. Also the relativly low intellegence of a ork is also a protection, since they just dont understand chaos enough to have it drive them crazy, which allows them there simple classification of weather its a weapon to kill somtin with or just somthing to kill.

Quick question: do orks use gellar fields on there ships?

Also sorry for any spelling errors, spell check isint working on this computer so i cant run it atm, once i get home ill run spell chek on this post

Nabterayl
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Quick question: do orks use gellar fields on there ships?
Like most ork technology, the answer is probably, "Sometimes."

The ork codex mentions that one of the fun things about Warp travel is that you get to fight daemons, though, so probably Gellar fields are the exception rather than the rule.

Duke
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I would think that orks would use gellar fields if the ship that they jacked has them... Otherwise probably not, mostly for the reasons Nab stated.

Duke

Tacoo
01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Im thinking if they gellar fields are a more no then yes, then perhaps that's another example of there Waaagh energy being a sorta protection. Im thinking there Waaagh energy acts as a gellar field in the warp, the stronger the waaaaagh energie, the stronger the gellar field, which is why Daemons can still enter there ship, but have to take on a physical form, and then the bigger Waaaghs even daemons cant enter. it would explain how warlords like ghazghull can have so many Orks together without half the warp trying to kill them for there souls.

RogueGarou
01-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Orks do not rely on the Warp for psychic abilities. The entire Ork race generates a low-level psychic force which is channeled by some Orks who are particularly sensitive to the power of the Waaaagh! generated by the Ork race. Since Orks are their own source for psychic abilities, they are much less likely to attract the attention of Warp creatures and be attacked by them. By the wording in Dark Millennium, this extends to Possession. I don't have my old Rogue Trader Ork books at the moment but I recall something about Chaos Orks but I think it was almost just a blurb.

The Ork mentality is that they would worship the greatest gods, the most Orky ones around. Getting beaten is rather un-Orky and Gork and Mork can not be beaten by the other gods. They can both take whatever punishment the other gods throw at them and then respond in a particular Orky fashion. Gork goes toe to toe with the offending god and punches it right back. Mork is the master of low cunning and will sneak in a punch when the other god is not paying attention to him.

I would have to fall on the side of the majority of Orks not being Chaos followers because the Orks already feel like they have the greatest, biggest, most Orky gods around. Worshiping a different god would not happen too often. It just isn't in them.

Conversely, what would the Ruinous Powers see in the Orks? Slaanesh cares about pomp and sensuality, secret vices and dark secrets. Orks care not for subtleties nor rarefied pleasures. Tzeentch has intrigue, deception, and change. Orks have been essentially the same for many, many thousands of years. They are not in a rush to change anything other than how many teef da uvver guy has! And Ork Kunnin' is like a three year old trying to use reverse psychology: obvious and anything but stealthy.

Orks are fungal and Nurgle seems to make many more diseases that rot the flesh rather than de-weeding the garden in the backyard. Orks are also quite content with their mortality so Nurgle would get no joy from an Ork dying of a particularly bad bout of dysentery. The Orks around that unfortunate Ork would probably derive no end of good humor from the situation, though.

Khorne is kind of the only one I think would see value in the greenskins. And some Orks might see value in Khorne as a representation of Gork. Khorne cares not from where the blood flows, only that it flows. But Khorne despises cowards whereas Orks do not see running from a fight as cowardly. Perhaps they are beneath the contempt of the Blood God because of this? To an Ork, they never lose a fight. They either beat their foe, run away to come back and fight again another day, or they are killed. In the last case, they are dead and not beaten so they still won. Overall, they are fairly content and uninteresting to the creatures of the Immaterium.

Gretchin on the other hand, very well may be more succulent morsels to some of the Chaos Gods. They are often more cunning and subversive than the larger Orkoid species. They can be more devious and live in fear of the larger Orks. Their emotions can display a wider range of possibilities. Some may also strive to be Orky so much so that they could be tempted, twisted, and bent to the will of a warp spawned entity. But I don't think anyone wants to convert a Gretchin Chaos army. It could very look like a bunch of Gollums with axes in one hand a bag of teef and shiny stuff clutched in the other. Fun for Bloodbowl, maybe, not so much for 2,000 points on the table at a tournament. Just my thoughts on the idea, though.

Madness
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
An illuminating bit that I think, speaks for itself:

The Blood Axes are held by the other clans to be a bunch of untrustworthy gits. They trade openly with the Imperium, parley with the foe and will even consider retreating from battle if faced with insurmountable odds. Perhaps once intended to make the Blood Axes natural leaders, these qualities have instead earned them a reputation as treacherous scumbags.

In fact, most of the Blood Axes' reputation is undeserved. True, they have made the most contact with the forces of the Imperium, occasionally fighting as mercanaries and making extensive use of Imperial war material, but then every Ork can see the funny side of extorting weapons from human planets only to use them against their former owners.

Blood Axes view the act of getting shot down before they have killed any of the enemy as a terrible waste of an opportunity, and so have adopted the practice of wearing camouftage. This makes them a target for derision from their brother clans, but in truth the Blood Axes care little. The Warbosses of the Blood Axe clan seem to have a better understanding of grand strategy than their compatriots from the other clans, planning large-scale battles or even entire campaigns in detail.
When dealing with the other races, the Blood Axes are uncompromising and vicious. Should a human ever be caught trying to swindle a Blood Axe, he will be hacked to death where he stands.

RogueGarou
01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Ahhh, the old Blood Axes. I really miss the old Orks. Some of the new stuff is nice but the whole feral Ork/GorkaMorka Orks in space never appealed to me as much as some of the character in the old Ork clans. The totally random weapons and psychic abilities were a hoot, too.

As I was reading up on some of the older material I was thinking about the clans. The Bad Moons are a bit off kilter, too. The Blood Axes and Stormboyz of old had more tactical and even strategic thoughts and even... gasp... discipline. The Bad Moons were greedy. The Deathskulls were superstitious. I don't evenremember the last time I saw an Ork on the tabletop painted blue. The Snakebitez were the feral cult and had those real nasty Boarboyz and Cyboarz. Evil Sunz are still Speed Freekz, at least. The Goffs and all of their black outfits and close combat. Good times.

If the Chaos Powers were to be interested in Orks, andOrks to be interested in something besides Gork and Mork, the Goffs would probably be the ones to go for Khorne. The Greedy Bad Moons could probably work something in somewhere but I'm not sure which power.

Ferrett
01-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Do purple orks count?

Madness
01-23-2010, 06:28 AM
That bit was from the 4th ed. codex... So it's not really being dropped. It goes to show that orks can be crude and often are, not always.

BuFFo
01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Are there any?

Yes there are.

Gooball
01-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I can see all chaos gods would be able to corrupt them with slightly more effort than would be needed..
Khorne-Bigger DakkaDakkaDakka and Ardboyz armorz and de BIG shiny magic choppas
Nurgle- Literally infect them with a disease that makes em do whatever he wants
Slaneshh- (if this is the changey one) Make da Orkz Biggah Bettah Baddah and Able to Kruump em all
Tzeentch (if magic one) Gives da Weirdboyz and warbossez magic DakkaDakkaDakka

In all cases but Tzeentch (who would have a harder time given orkz mistrust of weirdboyz) it would rely on a completely physical way of contact, this would probably happen if chaos took an ork world or convinced an ork warlord to join the chaos "waagh"

Col.Straken
01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I love overstatements.

What says Orks never ate fistfuls of pointy power fists? They have, in several occasions.

Also their psykers are more likely to be possessed than most trained psykers (grey knights, spiritseers, farseers, zoanthropes, heck even primaris psykers are better at handling them).

And Ork race is more likely to fall to chaos than many other things (assassins, Tau, Necrons, Tyranids, grey knights again, craftworld eldar).

Orks are resilient, no doubt about it, but not impervious as people trained to be/tooled to be/naturally immune to chaos.

Everyone is more likely to fall to Chaos than the Grey Knights... A Grey Knight has NEVER fallen to Chaos

gcsmith
01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Everyone is more likely to fall to Chaos than the Grey Knights... A Grey Knight has NEVER fallen to Chaos

Actually its the illuminati that would NEVER EVER EVER fall to chaos, i think having the will to banish greater deamons with a thought is least likely to turn to chaos, i mean they are allowed to enter the black libary

Just_Me
01-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Actually its the illuminati that would NEVER EVER EVER fall to chaos, i think having the will to banish greater deamons with a thought is least likely to turn to chaos, i mean they are allowed to enter the black libary

Assuming they still exist in the fluff, there are some suggestions that GW had them go the way of the squats...

Oh crap! I said the "S" word! GW's kill teams are already on the way! I have to run now! No time to take anything but the clothes on my back...

Lerra
01-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Do purple orks count?

Purple orks seem fluffy enough to me. Orks are photosynthetic fungi, and their skin is green because of chlorophyll in their bodies.

Here's the rub: Chlorophyll is green because green is optimal for Earth, given the wavelengths of light that our sun emits. Different stars emit different wavelengths of light, and I would expect orks in certain systems to have photosynthetic pigments of other colors, too.

RogueGarou
01-27-2010, 11:45 PM
The blue Orks were superstitious ones who painted or inked themselves blue for luck. Maybe some were color blind or maybe they just felt that purple is luckier? Sounds interesting. An idea I always thought would make for some cool, mean looking Orks was to paint them in a kind of grayscale-black and white look.

I think it is on the inside of the back of the 4E rulebook there is an Inquisitorial document that describes a strike team killing many Sensei and Illuminati. If I recall correctly, the Inquisitor writing the document mentions they were the last of those groups. Of course, if the Illuminati and Sensei are involved, who is to say the document itself was not a fabrication to mislead other members of the Orders of the Inquisition?

Dellamorte
12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
It seems that all of my posts are at least a year after the last post so I’m horribly out dated. Nevertheless I shall plunge forth with my usually two-cents.

RogueGarou– I think you are referring to the Deathskull Ork clan. They are looters and thieves, and tend to slather themselves in the color blue; however I think all orks think the color blue is lucky. However, orks (specifically the Weirdboyz) do draw power from the warp. They just use the gestalt psychic field of orks to enhance their powers. I also remember reading in the 5th edition codex a sidebar quote where a daemon erupted out of the head of one of their weirdboyz’ head while he was guiding them through the warp. (The other orks thought that was great fun, and indeed inspired their warboss to take on the Chaos Gods of the warp.)

Madness and Melissia - I think you were both perhaps thinking along the same lines just with different semantics. And along those lines I cannot resist, “This is Madness! Madness? THIS IS A FORUM POSTING!”

Overall, it think one of the best summations for your average ork’s reaction to the Chaos Gods can be found in the 5th Edition Codex. I am going to badly summarize the section so bear with me. The inspired warboss led his Waaagh into the war, encountering a planet of seductive creatures (who they slaughtered), then a planet of crystal spires and stores of knowledge (which they smashed and destroyed), then a planet of ooze and slime (which they slogged through), and finally a planet of violence and warfare (which they fought endless waves of attackers until the last ork was killed, only for the next day the battle to begin again). Through out all of this they were uncorrupted and in the end found the ork equivalent to heaven. “Wazat? I can fight an’ kill an’ stomp until I die only to live ‘gain an’ fight an’ stomp all ova?” One man’s hell is another ork’s heaven.

However, I kind of liked Madness earlier posting and Gooball’s interpretation:

I can see all chaos gods would be able to corrupt them with slightly more effort than would be needed..
Khorne-Bigger DakkaDakkaDakka and Ardboyz armorz and de BIG shiny magic choppas
Nurgle- Literally infect them with a disease that makes em do whatever he wants
Slaneshh- (if this is the changey one) Make da Orkz Biggah Bettah Baddah and Able to Kruump em all
Tzeentch (if magic one) Gives da Weirdboyz and warbossez magic DakkaDakkaDakka
In all cases but Tzeentch (who would have a harder time given orkz mistrust of weirdboyz) it would rely on a completely physical way of contact, this would probably happen if chaos took an ork world or convinced an ork warlord to join the chaos "waagh"

I’m quite sure that given the right motivation any of the princes or gods could corrupt the orks.
Khorne – In the form of a warboss promising a tribe of orks the most stompy stuff they’d ever seen giving them the power to kruump all the other tribes. And suddenly there is a planet full of orks riding looted brass scorpions, juggernauts, and impalers.
Tzeentch – In the form of a painboy or mekboy offering a tribe the bestest shooty/killy stuff out there. Imagine meganobz and cyborks made with “organic” bionik bitz? Or perhaps a Madboy with power undreamt of by even Zogwort. Or a Shokk Attack Gun that fired Flamerz instead of snotlings?
Nurgle – He may not even need to take a form, remember all orks start off as a fungus slime pit that eventually sprouts squigs, snotlings, grots, and finally orks. Imagine if he tainted that slime pit with a little of his own “juice”. *shudder*
Slaanesh – Ok, he/she may have the least to work with here, kinda hard to seduce a creature with excess when they are already creatures of excess. But for the sake of argument, a brewmaster that is inspired to make a fungus beer so potent that the entire planet of orks become alcoholics (except they don’t go to meetings). Or a tribe of orks more interested in eating that they can’t fit in their ‘rmor any more.

That being said, I think the Chaos Gods could corrupt some orks if they really, really, really wanted to, but why? It seems that unless the God want to prove something to the others, or was just bored, why would they want to go through all that effort when the other races are pretty much lining up to take the ride?

Captain_Ujac
12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Individual or small groups could probably turn to Chaos (less orks means less WAAAGH!!!).

Denzark
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Right, I can't believe in this threadcromancy, but here goes...

Back in the day, the fluff said that Stormboyz were young orks who, prior to being accepted into mobz proper, actually tried things such as drill, tactics, and even polishing boots!

This led to some worshipping the God Khorne because of his martial appeal. Yes there was a Khorne Stormboy freebooter mob in Freebooterz, kicked out of the tribe for taking it too far and never growing out of it. I long ago sold my copy (for more than 3 times the original cost) so can't confirm but pretty sure there was possessed as an option - and maybe even a ludicrous 900 point Daemon Weapon.

solegends for picturs of orks including mutant and chaos champion...

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2074orkfreebooterz-h.htm

Melissia
12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
It's not canon anymore. Orks simply don't become corrupted by Chaos (source Into the Storm). It simply doesn't happen, they're almost completely resistant to the corruption of Chaos to the point of it being completely unheard of. Orks don't have hope, or despair, or lust, or hate. Just a desire for war, speed, and all the joys that (to them) accompany the Orky way of life. They simply don't feel emotions as we humans know them, so it's nigh-impossible for Orks to be corrupted by the Chaos Gods who focus on these emotions.

Grailkeeper
12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Isn't into the storm Fantasy Flight Games? There's still pictures of Nurgle corrupted Orks in the Daemon hunter codex.

Melissia
12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
It was written by Andy Hoare, amongst other GW luminaries.

The Daemonhunter codex is the oldest still being used at the moment, so information in it is not necessarily canon in relation to newer codices, newer fluff sources,

Denzark
12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
And there was me thinking from the female space marine debate that you were sort of 'never say never'.

Ah well, arguing both sides of the fence has its merits...

The Madman
12-21-2010, 07:02 PM
pages 50-51 of the daemonhunters codex has a two page artwork of chaos Orks, so I would say yes they can be corrupted but it would be before they are "born". Chaos may infect an area where Ork fungi is growing, possibly overwriting what they know genetically about Gork and Mork and replacing it with whichever intent the corrupting god has (skull collecting for khorne, Disease spreading for Nurgle etc).

i would assume they would think that their Gork and Mork versions are true and would probably fight any other Ork that would say different.

EDIT: plus Chaos can corrupt planets and machinery why are Orks any different?

Melissia
12-22-2010, 12:19 AM
And there was me thinking from the female space marine debate that you were sort of 'never say never'.

Ah well, arguing both sides of the fence has its merits...

I didn't say never. I said "nigh-impossible".

EDIT: plus Chaos can corrupt planets and machinery why are Orks any different?Because planets are not sentient. They're just large objects. Sentient beings can resist Chaos.

Daemonette666
12-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Are there any?
Waaaaaaaay back in the early days, you could, but the GW story line has now outlawed this. Blood Bowl even allowed rules for Chaos Orc teams. I used to run one dedicated to Tzeentch.

But GW has now decreed that Orks, which used to be space orcs, can not have daemonic possession, mutations gifted by chaos gods, etc.

Their gods Gork and Mork which could be an ork form of Chaos power, but dedicated to the Orks only, give the orks a racial psychic power which can be harness by their wierd boyz. They also have an ability where if they think it works, then they can build it and make it work, hence the strange and odd ball creations the Mek boyz build.

Orks do not care for chaos. It is just a bunch of spiky humies who fight a bit harder than normal humies, and squish just as easily. WAAAAARRRGGHH - is the only thing orks seem to think of a lot. That, food, fighting, and getting more teef. LOL

Melissia
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Essentially, yes. Orks are nigh-impossible to corrupt. Trick, sure, but corrupt? No. They're just naturally extremely resistant to Chaos. Why else do you think Chaos focuses so much effort on humanity and Eldar, rather than Orks whom are more numerous and easier to control (as long as you're bigger)?

Daemonette666
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I heard that the orks were a creation of the old ones to combat either Chaos or the Necrons. If they were created to combat Chaos then that would make sense.

Old_Paladin
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Orks can be influenced and 'corrupted' by outside influence.
I can prove it in three words:
Blood Axe Tribe!

It's an entire clan that once they encountered humans, began to display behaviour never seen in orks before. They became 'humanized'; with all those bad, and un-orky, tendancies. They began to act like humans, dress like them, fight like them, talk like them, talk TO them!

Chaos Orks are very, very rare; but it does happen from time to time.
In fact, it might happen more often then we know (since honestly, who's going to notice the Khorne orks that are slightly more angry and blood-thirsty all the time; or the Slaanesh orks that are constantly 'rockin out' with their metal bands and shoving mushrooms up their noses?).