PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of starting the game but...

William Lang
04-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I can't seem to let go of the 40K universe. I was curious what race you guys feel would be the best stand in for the Space Marines Battlefleet Gothic Fleet.

Also, what's the standard game size?

StingrayP226
04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
A good point value that will allow you to comfortably deploy any ship type (well for now we will see if/when Leviathans launch) would be around 1200 I think. Honestly I've only played patrol fleet battles (smaller ones) curse of being a demo agent introducting a new (to the area) game.

The human factions are:

Dindrenzi Federation: the rebels who created a vast military and now seeks to crush the Terrans for nuking Dramos to ash! Love rail guns and heavy armor. They have a distrust of aliens and pretty much any outsiders.They are the long range faction of the game.

Rense System Navy: The elite of the Federation... fanatically loyal to Chairman Rense and the goal of revenge. They are also heavily influenced by the Church of Dramos. These guys might make a good fit for Space Marines.

The Directorate: they are the evil faction... a collection of three very powerful corporates that will do anything to make profit. Including attack their "allies" to provoke a war that rages across the galaxy. War is business and business is good... only the CEOs live well, while all other personel are purely assets to be used then recycled.

Works Raptor: out of the 3 corporations that make up the Directorate, Works Raptor is the worse. They would steal your baby, graph weapons on its body then make the baby kill you before exploding spreading chemicals to wipe out your town... and that was just on Tuesday!

Terran Alliance: a shadow of the great human empire that was severed by the Dindrenzi rebellion. They now have to hold the line or risk the Dindrenzi taking all their worlds.

Hawker Industries: one company still loyal to the Alliance.. also has a good intelligence arm.

ElectricPaladin
04-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Playstyle wise, the following factions might remind you of the Space Marines:

• Terrans are short-range brawlers, though they aren't particularly good at boarding actions.
• Sorylians are fast and good at close-range shooting and boarding, and they share a certain tactical "bluntness" with the Space Marines.

Of the other human factions, the Dindrenzi are way into long-range shooting and the Directorate are very finicky with lots of dirty tricks. Neither will feel much like the Space Marines fleet on the tabletop.

William Lang
04-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Dindrenzi Federation: the rebels who created a vast military and now seeks to crush the Terrans for nuking Dramos to ash! Love rail guns and heavy armor. They have a distrust of aliens and pretty much any outsiders.They are the long range faction of the game.These ships appear based on looks to be more suited for use as a stand in for the Imperial Navy. Is that how the faction plays?
Rense System Navy: The elite of the Federation... fanatically loyal to Chairman Rense and the goal of revenge. They are also heavily influenced by the Church of Dramos. These guys might make a good fit for Space Marines.Fluff wise probably. How do they play?
The Directorate: they are the evil faction... a collection of three very powerful corporates that will do anything to make profit. Including attack their "allies" to provoke a war that rages across the galaxy. War is business and business is good... only the CEOs live well, while all other personnel are purely assets to be used then recycled.

Hawker Industries: one company still loyal to the Alliance.. also has a good intelligence arm. I'm unsure if these ranges would suit my purposes.
Works Raptor: out of the 3 corporations that make up the Directorate, Works Raptor is the worse. They would steal your baby, graph weapons on its body then make the baby kill you before exploding spreading chemicals to wipe out your town... and that was just on Tuesday! They way you describe them (and the way the ships look) reminds me of the Dark Eldar.
Terran Alliance: a shadow of the great human empire that was severed by the Dindrenzi rebellion. They now have to hold the line or risk the Dindrenzi taking all their worlds.Oddly enough this range looks like a stand in for Chaos naval assets. Makes me curious about their play style.
Playstyle wise, the following factions might remind you of the Space Marines:

• Sorylians are fast and good at close-range shooting and boarding, and they share a certain tactical "bluntness" with the Space Marines.The range looks good and the way you describe them reminds me of Space Marines. Makes me wonder how they would look in Chapter Colors.

ElectricPaladin
04-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Dindrenzi have ships that suck at being ships (ie. they are fragile, clumsy, and slow) but they are awesome at being giant guns with thrusters. They have great range and power on their forward guns, but if your opponent gets around behind you, you are (barring clever use of mines, boarding actions, or specialized ships that buck the general faction trend) screwed.

The Rense System Navy (or RSN for short) are basically the super elite version of the Dindrenzi. Their ships are sneakier and less straightforward and a little bit less I-am-a-giant-gun focused than the Dindrenzi... but yes, they still have an obsession with giant phallic railguns, and most of their ships sport them, they just keep them "buttoned up" so to speak, rather than letting it all hang out.

Don't get too attached to the RSN. There are only six main nations in this game - the Terrans, Sorylians, and Aquans on one side of Space War I, and the Dindrenzi, Directorate, and Relthoza on the other - and the minor factions are not getting fleshed out at the same speed as the main factions. In fact, we have no assurance that they will get as much variety at all, at any time, ever. The RSN is somewhat bloated with options because it's attracted a lot of fan attention, but there's no guarantee that they will ever grow past what they have now. Given how many holes exist in the other minor factions - not to mention trying to continue to expand the main factions - even if the RSN gets further expanded someday, I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Now, before you take all this too seriously, you should know that I play Aquans, the faction that dominates by having ships that are generally unremarkable except for being the best at being ships (ie. fast, maneuverable, quite durable, best sort of "basic" gun comes standard, and firing solutions in all arcs at all times, though they are definitely skirmishers and not brawlers). So, when I say that a ship sucks at being a ship, remember that I tend to hold ships to very high standards.

The Terrans are incredibly durable close-range brawlers. They have tons of dice in shields and are tough enough to get into close range and use their guns.

As far as who plays most like the Imperial Navy, as a BFG player myself I can say... honestly? Nobody. The things that the Imperials were good at either don't exist - torpedoes, for example, are just another weapon, they don't sweep across the board as enormous waves of death - or are available to anyone who wants to embrace that particular playstyle - anyone can field a carrier and take a ton of small fighters and bombers and assault boats, for example - so answering the question is hard.

Off the top of my head, though, recalling the rules of my own Imperial Navy ships sadly gathering dust, I'd say...

• Dindrenzi can do fore-arc torpedoes very well, though remember that those torpedoes work very differently.
• Aquans, Sorylians, and Terrans both like to dive directly through the enemy fleet, lashing out in all directions with various weapons.
• Terrans trade on their durability and like to tank enemy fire.

- - - Updated - - -

The range looks good and the way you describe them reminds me of Space Marines. Makes me wonder how they would look in Chapter Colors.

Brilliant, I think. Sorylian Space Shotguns have big flat areas that are very good at holding stripes of various colors, so you could easily do a fleet with a couple of intense colors in stripes, or even just model-based color blocking.

William Lang
04-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Aquan ships remind me very much of the Eldar just based on the aesthetic.

ElectricPaladin
04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Aquan ships remind me very much of the Eldar just based on the aesthetic.

There's a certain Eldariness to their aesthetic, it's true. Their backstories aren't too dissimilar either. The Aquans are an incredibly ancient - as in some of them may have visited Earth and meddled with human evolution, but they did this before they had FTL ships - and advanced alliance of aquatic alien races. They are basically benevolent, and would strongly rather live in peace than war, but got dragged into it by their alliance with Earth, the Directorate's habit of raiding isolated Aquan settlements and kidnapping the civilians to experiment on (Aquans have altered themselves with advanced biosience to the point that each Aquan citizen is a potential wealth of lucrative biotech), and the Dindrenzi's habit of protecting the fleeing Directorate ships. They often get accused of manipulating others, and have complex internal politics that outsiders don't understand.

William Lang
04-09-2014, 05:12 PM
How's this look?

+++ Sorylian Dual Battleship Fleet (1200pts) +++
+++ 1200pt Sorylian Collective Battle Fleet Roster (Standard Fleet Organisation)) +++

Sorylian Collective Battle Fleet (Standard Fleet Organisation) Selections:

+ Tier 1 + (435pts)

* Battleship (220pts)
* Falx (220pts)
+1 Shield, 2x +1" Mv, Starboard/Port Scatter Weapons gain Split Fire MAR, Weapon Shielding MAR

* Battleship (215pts)
* Falx (215pts)
+1 Shield, 2x +1" Mv, Weapon Shielding MAR

+ Tier 2 + (560pts)

* Cruiser Squadron (280pts)
* 4x Falcata (280pts)
4x +1 Shield

* Cruiser Squadron (280pts)
* 4x Falcata (280pts)
4x +1 Shield

+ Tier 3 + (205pts)

* Corvette Squadron (80pts)
4x Plumbata (80pts)

* Frigate Squadron (125pts)
* 5x Reaper (125pts)
5x Pack Hunters MAR

StingrayP226
04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Dindrenzi being fragile O.o yes they are easy to nickle and dime down but they have the highest Critical Ratings AND the highest Hull points in the game. A Retribution Dreadnaught that has removed Ablitive is a hard task to remove. Dindrenzi are the A-10s of space... they built a gun then built a ship around it...

William the Sorylian Battleship atm is a little lackluster (there will hopefully be a boost them soon) I would focus more on their other Tier 1s.

William Lang
06-22-2014, 05:19 PM
How about this one? The only reason this list exists is that I think the ships look cool:
RSN Argus Class Carrier (120): Torpedo Spook MAR (+5), +4 Wing Capacity (+5), and 2 Spook Cruisers (140) = 270
RSN Argus Class Carrier (120): Torpedo Spook MAR (+5), +4 Wing Capacity (+5), and 2 Spook Cruisers (140) = 270
WORKS RAPTOR TORPEDO CRUISERS, Interdictor Class x4 = 260
RSN Phoenix Class Destroyers x3 (240): Give the Beam Weapons the Precision Strike MAR (+15), Gain the Torpedo Spook MAR (+15) = 270
RSN Phoenix Class Destroyers x3 (240): Give the Beam Weapons the Precision Strike MAR (+15), Gain the Torpedo Spook MAR (+15) = 270
WORKS RAPTOR CORVETTES, Tyranny Class x4 = 100
RSN Bulwark Class Frigates x2 = 50
1950 pts

ElectricPaladin
06-22-2014, 10:37 PM
How about this one? The only reason this list exists is that I think the ships look cool:
1950 pts

Not bad. Would probably work. Works Raptor ships are tough to crack.

MajorMcNicol
07-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Not bad. Would probably work. Works Raptor ships are tough to crack.

Tough but deserving of being cracked! ;)

-A Sorylian player