PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40,000 Carnage

Bigred
04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Take it away Roadhouse (http://playcarnage.com/)

Coming May 2014

Warhammer 40,000 Carnage

Dropped onto the surface of a hellish planet engulfed in Rage, you alone, a legendary Space Marine, have the power and will to destroy the Greenskin plague and take back Mithra for the Imperium. Carnage is your strength and vengeance will be yours.

Armed with a Boltgun in one hand and Chainsword in the other, uncover the truth of this once prosperous planet level by level, as you rain Carnage down upon the Ork horde… And hurry before the Rage takes you over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvajtlifmpc

The game is a fast-moving action side-scroller, where the right combination of weapons, Wargear and upgrades make the difference between life and death.

-Pick up & play gameplay
-Play as a legendary Ultramarine
-Collect and upgrade over 500 items of Wargear
-Customize your Space Marine from head-to-toe
-Over 50 levels with 3 different challenges per level
-Explore the epic Warhammer 40,000 world of Mithra
-Recruit your friends for co-operative Fireteam Missions
-Access exclusive Wargear
-Story written exclusively by award-winning author Graham McNeill

PlayCarnage.com (http://playcarnage.com)

brokbrok
04-10-2014, 06:45 AM
That's one of the dumbest uninspired pieces of crap... When will actual fans of 40k develop a new game and not these mobile attempts at cashing out on the fan base?

Defenestratus
04-10-2014, 07:59 AM
The game actually looks decent from a graphical perspective. Gameplay is yet to be determined.

ElectricPaladin
04-10-2014, 08:07 AM
To be perfectly honest, given how often games fall flat, I am perfectly happy to see the Warhammer 40k universe expressed entirely through derivative games. Think about it: the company that knows 40k best - GW - is not a video game company. Can't you see the possibility that if they reach for something unique, they'll screw it up? It's best that they do what they're doing. Play it safe. Make games that are plenty of fun and - hey! - 40k flavored. I'm fine with that.

Patrick Boyle
04-10-2014, 08:21 AM
To be perfectly honest, given how often games fall flat, I am perfectly happy to see the Warhammer 40k universe expressed entirely through derivative games. Think about it: the company that knows 40k best - GW - is not a video game company. Can't you see the possibility that if they reach for something unique, they'll screw it up? It's best that they do what they're doing. Play it safe. Make games that are plenty of fun and - hey! - 40k flavored. I'm fine with that.

I have no clue what you're trying to say here. Relic's Dawn of War games were awesome, and Space Marine was solid with seeds of greatness.

Conversely, Space Hulk was a servicable translation of the boardgame, which loses something without the physicality, and Storm of Vengeance is...well, Plants vs Zombies with a 40k skin. And then there's the half a dozen other 40k and WFB titles in development by teams no one has ever heard of, either because they're mobile game licensed property mills or they're brand new, unproven teams, all building mobile games.

For whatever reason after THQ self-destructed, for reasons that have nothing to do with mobile games and everything to do with incompetent management, GW decided that the decline in their video game royalties was due to AAA games being on the way out(the financials released last year say as much if you want to go look them up), so cheap mobile all the way. Maybe one of these titles will turn out to be a hidden gem, but the only Warhammer licensed game coming any time soon that has a real chance at being a solid game is the WFB game being developed by the Total War guys at Sega. I've still got my fingers crossed for a surprise announcement of Dawn of War 3 at E3 this year though...

eldargal
04-10-2014, 08:24 AM
That's one of the dumbest uninspired pieces of crap... When will actual fans of 40k develop a new game and not these mobile attempts at cashing out on the fan base?
I want to see an AAA big budget 40k game as much as the next girl, but they are hugely expensive. We've had a bunch of RTSes and a FPS in the past six or seven years now we are getting a bunch of less budget intensive games. What matters is quality.

Littha
04-10-2014, 08:51 AM
For a moment, while I was reading the description I had images of space marines fighting along the surface of a giant cat-girl...

Maybe I played too much Final Fantasy XI...

Kirsten
04-10-2014, 10:26 AM
I have no clue what you're trying to say here. Relic's Dawn of War games were awesome, and Space Marine was solid with seeds of greatness.

well neither of those were new ideas though. whilst great games, Dawn of War is a real time strategy game and space marine is a third person action game, neither are especially unique.

Dlatrex
04-10-2014, 10:32 AM
On first blush this reminds me of Kill Team as a "40k version" of an Arcade game. I do not consider it heresy if done properly, but we'll have to see the finished product to make a good evaluation. Initial clip looks like it could be fun and have sufficient polish. Now if only we could play as something other than Ultramarines...

Kirsten
04-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I liked kill team, I am looking forward to trying this one too.

Dlatrex
04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
I certainly would not have complained about additional levels or sequels to Killteam. Anything that lets you run around that much Ork architekture is a great thing in my book =)

Kirsten
04-10-2014, 01:24 PM
yup fun way to kill a few hours with a friend. I am surprised there was no extra content released for it, I would have thought it would be easy to do.

Dlatrex
05-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Has anyone picked it up yet? Quick review?

Krefey
06-09-2014, 02:20 AM
Has anyone picked it up yet? Quick review?

I think it's a fun little game. Each "mission" only lasts you about a minute or two, tops. Unless you are being super cautious. So it's easy for a quick pick up and play here and there. Sound track seems decent. It ha the obligatory heavy metal soundtrack. Plenty of variety in weapon options and you can adjsut teh difficulty level of each mission so you can replay them for better rewards and to keep things a bit interesting. Seems worth it for the what, $6-$7 price tag?

Leviathan
06-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi there!

I’m the Community Manager for Carnage, and I just thought I would let you know that the game is now available on Android (http://taps.io/LsDQ), as well as iOS, and we released an awesome official trailer to celebrate our Android launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEOlL3AULk

We also have 3 slick wallpapers for you to download and deck out your desktop/tablet/mobile device with some sweet Carnage art courtesy of our talented art team (http://warhammer40kcarnage.com/carnage-wallpapers/).

Finally, if you ‘Like’ our page on Facebook you’ll be rewarded with some wargear to start Carnage off right! Just follow this link. (http://bit.ly/1jPkvH0)

If you have any questions about the game, just let me know.

Cheers!

Bigred
07-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Hi Leviathan!

Bigred here the owner of BoLS,

I would like to welcome you to the forum and invite Roadhouse to sign up on the BoLS Gamewire. We have had other 40K videogame manufacturers sign up with a manufacturer account and get their product news out to the entire wargame community.

Go check it out here:

BoLS Gamewire
http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/

Manufacturer Signup
http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/vendor-signup/

Glad to have you on here!
-Larry

lordunborn
07-01-2014, 11:18 AM
$7 for an App with In-Game Currency Purchases???
Nope.
Only games I buy with In-App Purchases for In-Game Currency are Free apps and ONLY if there is only 1 type of in-game currency (which seems to be the case here)
Maybe when the game goes free I will pick it up but I am not paying $7 for a game to be milked to death with IAP.
I am willing to spend $10 on a iPad app with no icurrency IAP. I own Warhammer Quest and have purchased all IAP for that one.
Mobile Gaming is a Dying Platform in my house.

Path Walker
07-01-2014, 11:43 AM
$7 for an App with In-Game Currency Purchases???
Nope.
Only games I buy with In-App Purchases for In-Game Currency are Free apps and ONLY if there is only 1 type of in-game currency (which seems to be the case here)
Maybe when the game goes free I will pick it up but I am not paying $7 for a game to be milked to death with IAP.
I am willing to spend $10 on a iPad app with no icurrency IAP. I own Warhammer Quest and have purchased all IAP for that one.
Mobile Gaming is a Dying Platform in my house.

I've got to the current end of the game with both characters, and I've not once needed to buy in game currency, it's guess of you were really struggling for some reason, you might like to use it but realistically I can't imagine why anyone would buy it

gungagreg
07-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I concur - the in game purchases are not necessary to reach the end game - hell, dialing up the difficulty rakes in the gold and removes any desire to pay real $ for the in game currency.

MurdiusMaximus
07-01-2014, 02:29 PM
As for a personal review:
The gameplay is very simple and easy to get. You can move the marine left or right on the left side of buttons, and hit up to block (more on this in a sec). On the other side of the screen you have your jump, melee and shoot buttons. It is a side scroller with an average of 45 seconds to complete each level depending if you are going for the full score or not. This is about as simple a game as you can get. The idea is to clear each level as quickly as possible while building up a high combo multiplier (hitting things without getting hit in return) and taking as little damage as possible to earn 1-3 stars. Each level (there are around 50, maybe a few more) has three different runthroughs that you can do, each one with more challenges than the last such as Darkness (worst one ever, in any game...stupid, stupid, stupid) enemies explode when killed, enemies have more health/do more damage ect.

The game controls pretty well, but the block button is ridiculously placed as it requires you to stand still while doing it, and makes for blocking on the run impossible. Give up on getting three stars if you use this useless button. I have a Galaxy S3 and it runs pretty well, but there are moments of lag that make the platforming bits frustrating, but this is probably my phone not the game.

Enemies are, surprise, surprise, orks. They are pretty well varied, and each has thier own little thing they do. Some charge you, some shoot you, some stun you, some throw bomb ect. All are very simple, and the bosses and sub bosses are pretty easy to kick the crap out of without being total pushovers (if that makes any sense lol)

Weapons are fairly well represented. As for ranged, the Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Plasma Pistol and Storm Bolter are all represented. Very sad to see no plasma gun though. I'll save you the time, just go with the Storm Bolter as it is by far the most powerful IMO. As for Melee, you can get a Powerfist, Lightning Claw, Thunder Hammer, Power Sword, Power Maul, Chain Sword and a Combat Knife. I enjoyed all of the weapons in this area as each had something nice to offer, though I prefer the Lightning Claw. As for gear you can get different chestplates, legs, powerpacks/jumppacks and helmets. Each buffs you in some way (Think Diablo, but in a 40K setting) and there are various rarities of stuff.

Represented are, of course, the Ultramarine, and the Blood Angel (which you can unlock after earning 100 stars.) Each has their won traits. The Ultramarine is better with blocking as he can absorb more damage out the gate and has better armor, but the Blood Angel gains 25% damage dealt back as health. In all honesty, ditch the Ultramarine as soon as you get the Blood Angel because at higher difficulty levels, you need the health...a lot.

There is something called fireteam missions that unlock if you 3 Star a level, but you can only do them if you have friends that play, so pretty much I never did because none of my friends have it. This is a real shame, and honestly should be open network or something of the like. You get little red seals for completing these missions, and you can use those to buy slightly less crappy items in the store.

Overall, I feel like this game gets a 3.5 out of 5 for me. The loot system doesn't really work, as the only way to acquire any is to pick up orange orbs midlevel (they are always silver for me) or in the store, which has garbage level items at best. Even the Fireteam items reek of suck. You can get items for getting stars, but thus far I have only gotten one, and it was an epic piece of gear rendered obsolete in just two levels time. The different challenges are ok, but the night fighting ones are just too difficult unless you are playing in a dark room, and even then they are a real pain and not for the easily frustrated. If you ordered at the beginning, you get what's called the First Blood Founders Edition, which gives you...NOTHING :D Seriously, I asked on the official forum like two weeks ago, and never got a response from them so I assume it does nothing, so don't let that fool you into getting more than you think (which is kind of how they are wording it.) No additional items, no additional levels, or characters, or even a HAHA SUCKER. Just nothing.

It is worth the $6.99 but only just so. there is so much potential here though and I hope they stick with it, but they need to add more things and fix the broken loot system before I'd even think about raising my opinion. If you are a 40K enthusiast, grab it. I've had fun with it, but not the most fun ever on a phone game. Also, not being able to demo the game really hurts. If they had a demo that would be fantastic.

Chris*ta
07-01-2014, 10:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEOlL3AULk

Nice to see the VO guy from Mortal Kombat is still getting some work ...

Leviathan
07-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi Leviathan!

Bigred here the owner of BoLS,

I would like to welcome you to the forum and invite Roadhouse to sign up on the BoLS Gamewire. We have had other 40K videogame manufacturers sign up with a manufacturer account and get their product news out to the entire wargame community.

Go check it out here:

BoLS Gamewire
http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/

Manufacturer Signup
http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/vendor-signup/

Glad to have you on here!
-Larry

Awesome, thanks Larry!