PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Pt Mech Assault

Unholy_Martyr
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I recently came into possession of 2 Vindicators and have been toying with the idea of an Assault oriented Mech Army. Below is the proposed list:

1 Wolf Priest
15 Blood Claws (1 with Power Fist)
Land Raider Crusader (Multi-Melta)

2x 6 Grey Hunters (Power Weapon, Mark of the Wulfen and Melta Gun)
2x Assault Cannon Razorbacks

4 Thunderwolf Calvary (1 Thunder Hammer/ Storm Shield)

2x Vindicators

The thought process is this:
Vindicators, Land Raider and Thunderwolves deploy as close to the enemy as possible. Vindicators cover the sides of the Land Raider creating a wall of 13/14/13 armor with the Thunderwolves hugging the rear of the Land Raider. The Razorbacks cover the rear (whether it be camping an objective or following the rest of the force into Assault) First turn, the Land Raider and Vindicators break out with the Vindicators dropping Demolisher death and the 'Wolves running to get the Charge.

The issues arising are as follows:
1) No real long range firepower. This army isn't meant to sit back and shoot, the motivation is to be in the enemies face as much as possible.
2) Fast Armies can out maneuver. This has been and always will be a problem; as it stands however, I face mainly Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Tau and every once in a blue moon Eldar. Fast armies aren't this forces cup of tea.
3) Extremely low on kill points: Including the transport, there is 10, the average Imperial Guard player around here, has almost that many in Chimeras and tanks alone.
4) Huge Point sink: The Land Raider with the Blood Claws and Wolf Priest is more than a third of the entire list cost. These guys are mainly there for the theme. I am considering dropping all of the above to go with another Thunderwolf unit with a Lord attached and some Fenrisian Wolves as a screen.

So thoughts or ideas?

Chumbalaya
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Assault Troops + Vindicators doesn't work out too well. One bad scatter and your BCs or TWolves go bye-bye.

If you want the Vindies, I'd put them in a shootier army. Logan + scoring cyclone WG, Rifleman Dreads, Rune Priests, and the like. Get the bad guys out of their transports and drop pies on them.

Unholy_Martyr
01-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Given the above, I've made two possible adjustments, the first is as follows:

Shooty Army:

Rune Priest: Tesmpests Wrath, Living Lightning, Chooser of the Slain
Long Fangsx5: 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Plasma Cannons, Razorback Twin Linked Lascannon

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Power Weapon, Razorback Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Power Weapon, Razorback Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Power Weapon, Razorback Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Power Weapon, Razorback Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Dreadnought: 2x Twin Linked Autocannons

2x Vindicators

Total: 1445

Assault List:

Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Thunderwolf Mount, Storm Shield, Frost Blade, Saga of the Wolfkin

Thunderwolf Calvaryx4: 1 Storm Shield/ Thunder Hammer

Thunderwolf Calvaryx4: 1 Storm Shield/ Power Fist

Fenrisian Wolvesx10

Total: 1500

So those are two more options...how do you feel about these?