PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Wolves Mecha Cav Tourney List

Earthen
01-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Heres what I'm gearing up to play with :P

Im worried i may not have enough Cav to make it across the field and still be able to do damage.

The extra stormshield on the TWC is pretty much required in my area. If i need a normal guy to toss storm bolter wounds on, Ill need to bump the TWC up in size.

HQ
Rune Priest - 100

Elite
Iron Priest - Twolf, Necklace, Cyberwolvesx4 - 165
Iron Priest - Twolf, Necklace, Cyberwolvesx4 - 165

Troop
5 GH, Flamer, Razorback - 115
5 GH, Flamer, Razorback - 115

Fast Attack
3 Thunderwolves - 1) PF 2) SS 3) SS+ Melta Bombs - 240
3 Thunderwolves - 1) PF 2) SS 3) SS+ Melta Bombs - 240

Heavy Support
Autocannon, Lascannon Predator - 120

Chumbalaya
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Little light on Troops yeah?

Swap a Pred for another GH squad and drop lascannons on the Preds to give your Razors TLLC or las/plas.

Unholy_Martyr
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, I don't know if you've noticed but you have 4 obvious units that have no other desire than to assault. I would be very concerned with your puppies not making it in at this point in time. I would personally drop an Iron Priest and his wolves and replace him with around 10 Fenrisian Wolves to give you some cover for your charge.

Next point: You have an H.Q. that has no reason to be in this army. If you're going calvary heavy, why not mount up a Wolf Lord or at least a Wolf Guard Battle Leader? To be honest, you're throwing points into an Iron Priest that would be spent to far greater advantage to one of the aforementioned H.Q.'s. In addition, dropping the Rune Priest and replacing the Iron Priest gives a few points to spare. (i.e. for 175 points you get a Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf Mount with Frost Blade, Storm Shield and Wolf Tooth Necklace. Now you have a multi-wound character who is effective in combat and HAS AN INVULNERABLE SAVE).

A small point worth mentioning: Wouldn't you want your Power Fist to have an Invulnerable Save? Also, with the way you've allocated your Storm Shields, no one can take advantage of the +1 for two close combat weapons. I would shift those around.

And now for the biggest issue: Troops. Your Grey Hunters are for lack of better term being neudered with their lack of Power Weapons. You could effectively drop a Predator, replace with a Grey Hunter unit that has some punch to it. With the changes mentioned above and here, I'll offer a revised list:

HQ
Wolf Guard Battle Leader
Thunderwolf Mount, Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace -175

Troops
6 GH, Flamer, Razorback (T/L Heavy Bolters), Power Weapon - 145
6 GH, Flamer, Razorback (T/L Heavy Bolters), Power Weapon - 145
6 GH, Flamer, Razorback (T/L Lascannon), Power Weapon - 180

Fast Attack
9 Fenrisian Wolves -135
3 Thunderwolves - 1) PF/SS 2)Plain 3) SS+ Melta Bombs - 240
3 Thunderwolves - 1) PF/SS 2)Plain 3) SS+ Melta Bombs - 240

Heavy Support

Total: 1500pts on the dot.

Hope this all helped you out.

Earthen
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Little light on Troops yeah?

Swap a Pred for another GH squad and drop lascannons on the Preds to give your Razors TLLC or las/plas

Yeah, definitely a bit light, but i thought that i could keep them alive and have some points left over to buff my shooting + cav units.

I didnt really consider upgrading the razorback weapons, thanks for bringing up the point. I was thinking Combi preds to help with opening transports, since you get a couple more Las shots that way. Now that you mention it though, I'll have to deliberate on it a bit.

Next point: You have an H.Q. that has no reason to be in this army. If you're going calvary heavy, why not mount up a Wolf Lord or at least a Wolf Guard Battle Leader? To be honest, you're throwing points into an Iron Priest that would be spent to far greater advantage to one of the aforementioned H.Q.'s. In addition, dropping the Rune Priest and replacing the Iron Priest gives a few points to spare. (i.e. for 175 points you get a Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf Mount with Frost Blade, Storm Shield and Wolf Tooth Necklace. Now you have a multi-wound character who is effective in combat and HAS AN INVULNERABLE SAVE).

Thanks for the reply! Simply put, the Rune priest is in the army because this is a tournament style list. I'm 100% sure i will be seeing lash, PBS or Seer council, so the rune priest will help alot. My biggest reason, however is to counter lash since @ 1500 points lash lists can still bring their 2 princes and 6 obliterators - It is very strong at that points lvl. I think you have a very valid point about stacking up my close combat though, especially since i dont want to be getting very close to the enemy with a razorback considering such a slim troop count. I'll definitely have to play around with the idea, but the iron priest does pack a hefy punch (more than the lord in some cases) - although the lord does bring I5 and an invuln to the table.

iron priest can do a bit more damage than a wolf lord (albiet1 or 2 rounds of combat only).

A small point worth mentioning: Wouldn't you want your Power Fist to have an Invulnerable Save? Also, with the way you've allocated your Storm Shields, no one can take advantage of the +1 for two close combat weapons. I would shift those around.

The way the storm sheilds are allocated now is best VS most shooting and low attack power fists, low attack MCs, etc. Put the saves on the storm shields as they trickle in, PF stays alive.

Against high attack models like blood thirsters, your allocation is certainly better. Against those types im hoping Ironpriests and shooting do the brunt of the work, maybe i dont need that second storm shield afterall, or maybe i really do need to switch it up. Losing 1 attack on a Twolf is pretty minor, though, since they have high attacks anyway. The real strength of the unit (unless running a group of 5) is just to deliver that high attack, S10 powerfist.

And now for the biggest issue: Troops. Your Grey Hunters are for lack of better term being neudered with their lack of Power Weapons. You could effectively drop a Predator, replace with a Grey Hunter unit that has some punch to it. With the changes mentioned above and here, I'll offer a revised list:

Agreed troops are very weak. An upgrade could go a long way with them - though not power weapons. Statistically, Mark of the wulfen is above and beyond the best upgrade you can pick up for the unit. In fact, heres a great little analysis to read if you're interested!

http://40kmaunderings.blogspot.com/2009/12/space-wolves-grey-hunters.html

Thanks for the replies guys, all points valid and thought provoking, so thanks for the quality response. im always looking for more feedback - dont play nice - C&C away!