PDA

View Full Version : Alternative models for Fantasy.

Alvin K
01-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, I dunno if you've seen or heard about these before. But I plan to use some alternative models for playing in Warhammer Fantasy. I'm more of a 40k player, I have four 40k armies. But recently I'm building some fantasy armies. So i thought of sharing with you guys about this.

The miniatures are from this company called Avatars of War. I've been eyeing their miniatures for a long time. Their sculpts are of 28mm means they are a little bit bigger than the 25mm that we use in Warhammer.

I'm sure that we can't use these in GW based tournaments. But I believe that our local gaming clubs and stores won't mind.

Go take a look and play around in their site. http://arena-deathmatch.com/onlineshop/onlineshop.php

Here are some pictures:

http://arena-deathmatch.com/images/aow05.jpg
http://arena-deathmatch.com/images/aow06.jpg

I plan to start Dark Elves next time. As of now, I'm building 2 Fantasy armies secretly.:p

Vindur
01-08-2010, 10:46 AM
They work really nicely as lords/heroes. Im currently painting up the Dark Elf Lord to lead my Army

Alvin K
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, you have it! I like it when he has the helmet on. Though I'm pretty sure I might magnetize it since it looks so cool... :D

Aldramelech
01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Goodbye

Alvin K
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I went to my local independent games store today to have a look at the Dwarf Thunderlord. Its very nice, unfortunately its double the size of GW's Dwarfs, so I cant use it.

Does the Dark Elf Hero above also double the size? If so then it's quite impossible to use them in the game.:(

Gotthammer
01-08-2010, 03:11 PM
One thing I've noticed is a number of the European (and notably Spanish) '28mm' minis are actually 32mm or even 35mm. Sometimes it can work for a hero, but sometimes it's just a waste of money.

Aldramelech
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Goodbye

Alvin K
01-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Thanks Aldramelech, now I feel more comfortable in buying them Dark Elves. I really like the Dark Elf Hero. Especially when he has the helmet on.

And definitely heroes should stand out more on the battlefield. So a little bigger won't be much of a problem. For the Orcs, the bigger, the better. Haha. :D

EDIT: That Dark Elf Hero with the helmet would make a good Lokhir Fellhart alternative... Hmmmm... I would still want the Lokhir Fellhart mini though... :D

Vindur
01-09-2010, 08:38 AM
The Dark elf hero is about the same height as the Cauldron hag

Gotthammer
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been burnt before so I'm wary of unknown suppliers now, good to know they're ok as they have some well scaled stuff.

Vindur
01-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Well the main sculptor is Felix Paniagua. He did the current dwarf lord, with no helmet, resting on his axe for warhammer.

Alvin K
01-09-2010, 01:11 PM
The Dark elf hero is about the same height as the Cauldron hag

Awesome! Thanks for confirming that!:)

Herald of Nurgle
01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
No. The Elves are very good and would fit in well. They might be slightly taller, but that wouldn't be a problem as hero's are supposed to be nice and tall. Proportionately they are very similar. Orcs are fine too, after all you want your Orc hero's big!
But for the Dwarfs the scales all wrong, The Thunderlord is as tall as a Skull Pass Standard bearer incl. the standard!
Methinks it might work for the War of the Ring 'Kings Champion' if anything. :)