PDA

View Full Version : Astarte's Adviser?

Aldramelech
01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Goodbye

person person
01-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking same stats as marine vet.s and conveys ATSKNF to the squad. As to actual abilities like how astropaths improve reserves sounds hard. There are so many reasons the SM could be working with the IG. The best reason I could think of is tough elite infantry is needed to strike the enemy at a certain spot, therfore allowing you to take certain Marine units. I'm thinking he should let you ally with marines but that sounds a bit OTT for an advisor. Letting you take a unit like Assault marine or Tac. marines for an elites slot sounds better.

Nabterayl
01-08-2010, 10:31 PM
What context are you thinking of here, Aldra? An Apocalypse-scale unit opens up some options, and it shuts down some others (like being able to take space marine allies ... irrelevant in Apocalypse).

Melissia
01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
The ability to take a drop podding Marine squad sounds appropriate. Honestly the Marine wouldn't add TOO much unless they were a special character or chapter master-- a regimental commander or general is going to be much more skilled at such large formations, and know their infantry better compared to a Marine whom is used to leading other Marines.

Duke
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
I think something like this would be more appropriate:

Adeptus Astartes Advisor:

- Subtract one from enemy reserve rolls.

Duke

LemanRussCommander
01-09-2010, 12:52 AM
I think something like this would be more appropriate:

Adeptus Astartes Advisor:

- Subtract one from enemy reserve rolls.

Duke

Well the Naval Officer already carries that bonus. To go with a more fluffy angle maybe give one failed LD tests a reroll each turn (the sight of Astartes on the battlefield motivates the IG to keep fighting)

Aldramelech
01-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Goodbye

ColCorbane
01-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Like that idea.

I don't see him giving the Commander access to SM units, that would be too OTT. Like the other advisor's it should be something more subtle then that.

Mel: Absolutely, he's there to advise, not take over.

Not sure on that, he is a liason after all. Personally, I'd say he gives access to one sm troop choice much like the sm damocles gives access to IG naval air support options.

Cryl
01-09-2010, 12:38 PM
A single Astartes troops choice makes reasonable sense but I also really like the reroll of anything using leadership idea. Astartes are always described as inspirational to regular imperial troops and the mere presence of one would motivate them to fight all that harder

Incidentally the current version of the Damocles Command Rhino gives access to an Orbital Bombardment which I'd always assumed comes from a battlebarge rather than from Navy assets... that said I do dimly recall something that gave you access to Navy support assets but can't remember what that was

Nabterayl
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I think that should be Morale or Pinning tests, not anything Leadership - after all, a single space marine on the battlefield doesn't make battle psykers more in control of their powers.

I thought about some sort of Thunderhawk or orbital support, but in a non-Apocalypse context I can't see a way to do that without overlapping with the Master of Ordnance. After all, a lance strike is just better than a Basilisk strike in every way, and you can't really represent a bombardment cannon barrage in a useful way with just a single template. For that matter, unless you have a battle barge in orbit (and it's not like chapter fleets are just overflowing with those), space marine orbital bombardment isn't anything special. Strike cruisers and Novas aren't anything special in the orbital bombardment department, really.

Melissia
01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Or you could just say that the Marine can lend his unmodified leadership to any one squad in the game once a turn. But I think that would somehow fit Sisters better.

DarkLink
01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Or you could just say that the Marine can lend his unmodified leadership to any one squad in the game once a turn. But I think that would somehow fit Sisters better.

I could see him being an IC, that grants the squad he's attached to ATSKNF and Furious Charge, or something like that, in addition to another ability or two like taking a Marine Drop Pod squad.

Melissia
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't mean to drag it off topic, but shouldn't this be in the Homebrew section?

Tyrsday
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Personally I'd let him do what Kell does and let the squad receiving orders test on the officer's Ld, representing the boost to the Guards' morale and increased willingness to win the fight in front of one of the Emperor's finest.

Following that vein I'd have him improve the range that orders could be given either doubling it or even allowing any unit on the board with a Vox to receive them. This benefit would stem from the Space Marine ship in orbit improving the effectiveness of the comms. In Execution Hour they could tell every time a ship was lost b/c the comms got progressively worse and in Cadian Blood the Raven Guard Strike Cruiser markedly improved vox communication across the planet.

Duke
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I figured out what the Astarte's Advisor should do. Since Astartes are teh aseomwe111 this advisor would let you roll a die and on a 4+ you win the game.

Duke