PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves: How best to use all unit choices (inc HQ's. IC'S etc)

geneticdeviant
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, im not looking for an army list as such but ideas on how best to use some of the units in my collection. I find i have many units that i just do not use and would like to maybe give them a try.

This thread could act as a definitive guide maybe for the space wolves units where ideas and ways of play / tactics are discussed. I for one believe this would be highly useful.

So ideas please guys for any units in the space wolves, please share your effective tactics here:

here are some listed that maybe you can advise on (but any space wolves unit also please)

Looking for the best configuration/setup/equipment for each selection.

So heres a start based on your advice (any character/unit left blank i'm not sure on and need your advice)

LOGAN GRIMNAR

1/. Some say attach with Long Fangs and drop them in the enemies face for fun (Viable but dangerous, you may as well kiss the unit goodbye) while others say pack him with some Wolf Guard and let him truly shine. I personally would go for the latter, in a Drop Pod and place him next to his old pal Njal. This way, Njal has additional support and a buffer for enemy counter attack. Plus, after the second turn, when these folks attack, they can assault in with the Living Legend ability.

2/. An army of Wolf Guard is only of use between 2000 and 3000 points - past that, it's useless. However, you can use it if you don't like Blood Claws - Wolf Guard have higher stats and always have 2/3 attacks, all for +3pts over the Claws.
The point of Logan is to be a tactical leader - he can beat the **** out of Calgar in combat for the same cost, but remember to use him when you want slowly advancing Long Fangs or even more annoying Terminators/Hunter squads.

NJAL STORMCALLER

1/. His average range is that of a Bolter, so in order to capitalize on this he has to be close. I usually put him in a drop pod with a Wolf Guard retinue in Terminator Armor. Drop him in the enemy rear and cause some major pain. Here, you maximize all of his Lord of Tempest powers as well as sniping Monstrous Creatures and other low initiative folks. Additionally, you can land several pods around him and build a heavy fire base in the enemy's flank.

2/. Here's a tip: DO NOT TAKE RUNIC TERMINATOR ARMOUR unless you have spare points or a small retinue. Njal is best used as part of a unit of 10 Terminators who have been CC tooled up - dig him into the middle of the unit, and try to keep him out of combat. His abilities are always on, so if you want you could instead just put him into a LR - Crusader, which just stays in the middle of the board all day with Runic Weapon and all.

RAGNAR BLACKMANE

1/. Throw him in a Land Raider with either a Grey Hunter Pack or Wolf Guard, kit them out for Close Combat and watch the carnage ensue. Wolf Standard is a must with this fellow as well as Mark of the Wulfen. If you get him with a full up Wolf Guard Squad packed with Lightning Claws and a few Thunder Hammers, you will wipe entire units off of the table per turn. In addition, with Saga of the Warrior Born, you will achieve the ability of Ragnar being able to detach and take on whole squads by himself. Again, you want him leading from the front in an assault as he can let out his War Howl for an initial slam into the lines of your enemy or a final push to crush the remains.

2/. Ragnar is a beast in combat, so here's a tip: Either use him in a Logan Grimnir army, or in one built around this element. The retinue he needs is 10 Hunters with Wolf Standard and 2 Melta/Plasma Guns. His force will include at least 2 squads of 15 Blood Claws.
All of his units will remain in 'Furious Charge Howl' range. Remember to use the banner in the same turn you use the Howl. If Grimnir is in the force, add his Kantor Howl ability to your Banner and FC Howl.
If you like Mech wolves, keep Ragnar and retinue in a Rhino, with a bunch of disembarked Claws and such around him. They give him a cover save, and once per game he can Howl to give them FC - the fact he's in a Rhino will increase it's range by an inch or two.

ULRIK THE SLAYER

1/. You want him in a unit you're willing to throw at Monstrous Creatures or high toughness folks all day long. He gets slighted by his rules as they almost make him less effective than a standard Wolf Priest. I would put him either in a squad of Blood Claws or Wolf Guard. They would gain the most from his Slayer's Oath. On to the Mentor rule: This is pretty sweet especially if you want to make a Champion out of a chump. You want Ulrik to be at the front of any assault as his ability to allow failed re-rolls for Leadership is really handy.

2/. Ulrik the Slayer, if you use him, has to be in a force without a Wolf Lord. Use a Wolf Guard Battle Leader, or another Wolf Guard and Mentor him.
Ulrik himself needs to lead a squad of Blood Claws, filled to the brim with everything which makes them better in combat. Upgrade the unit with 2 flamers if you have to.

CANIS WOLFBORN

1/. You want this blood crazed psycho on his own destroying units, which he is entirely capable of. As I said, you could use Mentor on him to increase his survivability in close combat making him harder to hit. Have him near Ragnar and watch the masters of Death at there finest (i.e. Canis engages 8 Orks, his base attack is now 8, +1 for charging and +1 for 2 close combat weapons, he has 10 attacks, if Ragnar uses War Howl, Canis becomes Initiative 6, Strength 6 and hits on a 3+ no matter what with Re-Rolls to wound...you get the point), shield him with some Fenrisian wolves who become Initiative 5 and well...you'll be hardpressed to find a unit that survives that.

2/. Attach to unit of Thunderwolf Cavalry

3/. Buy for the rules, not for the model. Wolfborn needs a retinue of 4 Riders, but remember THE FOE COMES TO HIM. Make sure he is at the front, and the rest charge around him or try to get multiple enemies. Use 30 Fenrisian Wolves around him to make sure his unit loses no wounds

BJORN THE FELL-HANDED

1/. I would place him in the backfield as part of a larger fire base. Probably load him with a Plasma Cannon as it seems for fitting for him and let the death rain down. Also, his saga of Majesty helps out especially when the units around him begin to take return fire.

2/. He is support. Take him with a Plasma Cannon, leave him near an Iron Priest, and screw around with all the other units in the list.

WOLF LORD

1/. these are combat/leadership buffs. The Lord keeps his points high, while the leader keeps them low. Use them as a Hammer unit, to blast whatever the hell your opponent throws at your unit, and rmember to keep the fluff: That Land Raider was obviously this lord's personal transport, for example. Model them and you get bonuses, dude. Remember to play as if he is YOU - that lord's Saga is yours, so keep track of it

RUNE PRIEST

1/. If you're going to have any type of rear echelon group, place him with them. You can run him with Living Lightning and Tempest Wrath. Put Master of Runes and you have a Deep Strike Denying, infinite ranged autocannon that affords you a 24" bubble.

2/. Think of the Priest as a support element, so if you take him take a Wolf Guard or two as well. The Priest needs to either focus or be an all rounder...
Shooty: Murderous Hurricane, Living Lightning. Take a Chooser of the Slain or face wrath.
Area Control: Jaws of the World Wolf, Tempest's Wrath
Defense: Storm Caller, Thunderclap

WOLF PRIEST

1/. Always pick Beastslayer for the Priest - it's good for Nurgle/Ravenwing forces. The Oath of War needs to be based upon your foe's preferred choice, and also upon your unit chosen as Retinue...
Blood Claws: Infantry, Swarms
Grey Hunters: Bikes, Monstrous Creatures
Wolf Guard: Infantry, Swarms

WOLF GUARD BATTLE LEADER

1/. These are combat/leadership buffs. The Lord keeps his points high, while the leader keeps them low. Use them as a Hammer unit, to blast whatever the hell your opponent throws at your unit, and rmember to keep the fluff: That Land Raider was obviously this lord's personal transport, for example. Model them and you get bonuses, dude. Remember to play as if he is YOU - that lord's Saga is yours, so keep track of it

WOLF GUARD PACK

1/. Wolf guard squad with wolf claws led by a chaplin, rerolling to hit and to wound has enabled this unit to take some impressive scalps in its short gaming history

2/. Pretty much only sergeants...
Grey Hunters: TH/SS, PP/CS, BP/PW, SB/BP
Blood Claws: BP/PW, TWC, WC/BP, BP/CS
Long Fangs: SB/PW, PP/CS, SB/BP

WOLF GUARD IN TERMINATOR ARMOUR PACK

1/. Pick a Role: Fire or Charge. Then go with it. Power Fists are more economical than Thunder Hammers, but Power Swords work too. Remember that you can get 5 normal Wolf Guard and 5 Terminators... allowing for 2 Heavy Weapons overall. NEVER split a Terminator off unless it's Arjac or if you need to.

ARJAC ROCKFIST

1/. This man demands respect in every way possible. Capable of killing a Land Raider in the shooting phase and demolishing the contents in the assault phase, gotta love it. Seriously though, if you give this man Mentor, he will find ANY Independent Character or Monstrous Creature and HE WILL kill them. Hitting on a 3+ with re-rolls to hit? Yeah, you're going down whoever you are (5 attacks on the charge that hit on a 3+ that re-roll at Strength 10, you better believe something is dying.). In terms of where to put him, it is a tough call. You could place him with Ragnar. After all is said and done, he can go anywhere and do almost anything you ask of him.

2/. Arjac in a drop pod with 8 grey hunters, melta, p fist, p pistol and wolf standard is a good way of putting your opponent on the back foot. Ive had some great success with this unit. Dont expect it to live, but your opponent must deal with it

3/. In regards Arjac, put him in a unit of terminators along with a Rune Priest with Termnator armour equipped with JOTWW. Run them in a Landraider and go IC and MC hunting, Strike the IC or MC with Arjac's ranged Foehammer(thunderhammer) attack, should the opponent survive, his iniative from then on is Iniative 1, Then use the Rune Priest and Jaws of the World Wolf him. He is surely going to die, with Iniative 1, he is going down no matter who he is or how many wounds he has. AWESOME!!!!!

DREADNOUGHT

1/. Twin linked Assault Cannon

VENERABLE DREADNOUGHT

IRON PRIEST

1/. Mount this guy on a Thunderwolf and equip with wolf tooth necklace, attach to a unit of 3 Cyberwolves.

WOLF SCOUTS PACK

1/. With melta and 2 plasma pistols

2/. Wolf Scouts are made to Outflank, so make them either durable (big squad) or hard hitting (loads of Plasma, Melta, or whatever). If they Outflank, they DIE IMMEDIATELY, so make them count before you do so and attack their weak point for massive damage.

LONE WOLF

1/. With Mark of the Wulfen, Termie armour, power weapon, storm bolter.

2/. Sacrifice Unit. Give him Wolves and RUN. HIM. FORWARD. Nuff Said

GREY HUNTERS PACK

1/. Put in units of 10, take 2 meltas and add a rhino as transport

2/. ( 5) grey hunters with 1 wolf guard with a frost blade
the grey hunters carry a melta gun the rest bolt pistols and close combat weapon i vary from razor back to rhino if i do rhinos both rhinos have an xtra storm bolter led by ragnar and njal ( not in ta ) terminator armor.

3/. 5 man Grey Hunter Squads in Razorbacks... Motw, PP, Flamer or Melta and a power type weapon (fist or weapon) and an attached Wolf Guard. The TLAC and Las cannon versions present a decent threat, and the whole thing is ~200 points or so... So, 3+ squads wolf packing the target...

BLOOD CLAWS PACK

1/. Hard to justify these unless you max out to a unit of 15, led by Lukas in a Land Raider Crusader.

2/. or May look useless, but they're not supposed to hold objectives or keep people in combat - they are there for killing people. Charge the biggest unit you can find - Ork Boyz, Termagaunts, unupgraded Hormas - and watch as the Claws beat the hell out of them. Use them at full strength or don't use them at all. Special Weapons are USELESS here, unless with a character who makes up for their bad skills with Preferred Enemy/if it's Flamers.

LUKAS THE TRICKSTER

1/. Throw him in with a maxed out pack of Blood Claws in a landraider.

THUNDERWOLF CAVALRY

1/. Field a unit of 3 of these bad boys equipped with power fist and storm shield

SWIFTCLAW BIKER PACK

1/. If you take them, take two of same type with same upgrades. These are to refuse the enemy's deployment - flank them and build up the threats.

SKYCLAW ASSAULT PACK

1/. If you take them, take two of same type with same upgrades. These are to refuse the enemy's deployment - flank them and build up the threats.

LANDSPEEDER SQUADRON

1/. Equip with heavy flamer / multi melta

FENRISIAN WOLF PACK

LONG FANGS PACK

1/. My preference for Long Fangs is to have them equipped with 5 missile launchers led by a wolf guard cyclone.

2/. Take 3 units in every army from the following...
Anti Tank: Predator Annihilator, 6 Long Fangs (SL n/a, 5 Fangs with MM/LC)
Anti Infantry: Predator Destroyer (HB?), 6 Long Fangs (SL n/a, 5 Fangs with HB)
Anti Horde: Vindicator, Whirlwind, 6 Long Fangs (SL PlasGun, 5 Fangs with ML/PC)

PREDATOR

WHIRLWIND

VINDICATOR

1/. with siege shields

LANDRAIDER

LANDRAIDER REDEEMER

LANDRAIDER CRUSADER

RHINO

RAZORBACK

DROP POD

So guys, any further advice or alternative suggestions. please leave your comments.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

rle68
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
well in my experience the blood claws are the most useless unit in the wolves army

why would i pay the same price for a blood claw that has a bs and ws of 3 versus a grey hunter of 4 ... blood claws can have 15 woo hoo big woop.. you dont get the second weapon till 15 grey hunters get it at 10 ok they get 1 more attack on the charge add ragnar to the grey hunters and you get the same thing

no any blood claw unit is crap... why would blood claws be on bikes now what more stupidness is this a bs 3 melta bike .. no.. not just no but hell no... wont be any bikes in my armies from here on out

units used to great effect
Ragnar
Njal
wolf guard
grey hunters
scouts not sniper but melta plasma scout always get their points back
vindicators
land raider crusader

thats about all

anyone thinking of taking bjorn unless its with the plasma cannon forget it

geneticdeviant
01-09-2010, 08:03 PM
so tell me, the units you used to great effect. how did you equip them, what unit size and what tactics do you use to get the best out of them.

i agree with what you say about the blood claws though.

Mazelf
01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
you might want to get some of the 4 legged kind wolves, also read Goatboys "space goats" articles, they have some pretty good insights on the army

rle68
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
so tell me, the units you used to great effect. how did you equip them, what unit size and what tactics do you use to get the best out of them.

i agree with what you say about the blood claws though.

2( 5) grey hunters with 1 wolf guard with a frost blade
the grey hunters carry a melta gun the rest bolt pistols and close combat weapon i vary from razor back to rhino if i do rhinos both rhinos have an xtra storm bolter

1 squad of grey hunters 10 men with a free flamer and melta for free at the 10th man 1 wolf guard with a land raider crusader as a dedicated transport
led by ragnar and njal ( not in ta ) terminator armor

3 vindicators with siege shields

2 scout squads with melta and 2 plasma pistols

thats my 1850 list

i have had njal take out 3 fexs in a tourney one time and yes it was righteous.. the ragnar squad usually kills whatever it assaults more often then not horde armies fall all the time to this squad sheer number of attacks

toomanyarmies
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Arjac in a drop pod with 8 grey hunters, melta, p fist, p pistol and wolf standard is a good way of putting your opponent on the back foot. Ive had some great success with this unit. Dont expect it to live, but your opponent must deal with it, buying you time for other units. For anti tank, tornado with 2 multi meltas are great, only 80 points, they should give you your points back. Ive also been using a wolf guard squad with wolf claws led by a chaplin, rerolling to hit and to wound has enabled this unit to take some impressive scalps in its short gaming history. I agree that grey hunters are better point for point than blood claws, however having a squad of blood claws in there fit the theme of the army, new recruits testing themselves in the heat of battle. I take a small 5 man squad, just like Rangar and his mates in the Space Wolf books. In a few games ive played, my opponents have targeted my other (better) squads, this has resulted in my blood claws surprisingly winning the game for me by taking a vital objective (just like in the Rangar books). Im also thinking about a dreadnought heavy list. Bjorn leading 3 ven dreads with a rune priest with stormcaller giving them a 5 plus cover. I'll let you know how i get on with it.

pchappel
01-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I've had especially good luck with 5 man Grey Hunter Squads in Razorbacks... Motw, PP, Flamer or Melta and a power type weapon (fist or weapon) and an attached Wolf Guard. The TLAC and Las cannon versions present a decent threat, and the whole thing is ~200 points or so... So, 3+ squads wolf packing the target...

Herald of Nurgle
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
1) Ulrik
Ulrik the Slayer, if you use him, has to be in a force without a Wolf Lord. Use a Wolf Guard Battle Leader, or another Wolf Guard such as perhaps Arjac, and Mentor him.
Ulrik himself needs to lead a squad of Blood Claws, filled to the brim with everything which makes them better in combat. Upgrade the unit with 2 flamers if you have to.

2) Ragnar
Ragnar is a beast in combat, so here's a tip: Either use him in a Logan Grimnir army, or in one built around this element. The retinue he needs is 10 Hunters with Wolf Standard and 2 Melta/Plasma Guns. His force will include at least 2 squads of 15 Blood Claws.
All of his units will remain in 'Furious Charge Howl' range. Remember to use the banner in the same turn you use the Howl. If Grimnir is in the force, add his Kantor Howl ability to your Banner and FC Howl.
If you like Mech wolves, keep Ragnar and retinue in a Rhino, with a bunch of disembarked Claws and such around him. They give him a cover save, and once per game he can Howl to give them FC - the fact he's in a Rhino will increase it's range by an inch or two

3) Rune Priest
Think of the Priest as a support element, so if you take him take a Wolf Guard or two as well. The Priest needs to either focus or be an all rounder...
Shooty: Murderous Hurricane, Living Lightning. Take a Chooser of the Slain or face wrath.

4) Njal Stormcaller
Here's a tip: DO NOT TAKE RUNIC TERMINATOR ARMOUR unless you have spare points or a small retinue. Njal is best used as part of a unit of 10 Terminators who have been CC tooled up - dig him into the middle of the unit, and try to keep him out of combat. His abilities are always on, so if you want you could instead just put him into a LR - Crusader, which just stays in the middle of the board all day with Runic Weapon and all.

5) Logan Grimnir
An army of Wolf Guard is only of use between 2000 and 3000 points - past that, it's useless. However, you can use it if you don't like Blood Claws - Wolf Guard have higher stats and always have 2/3 attacks, all for +3pts over the Claws.
The point of Logan is to be a tactical leader - he can beat the **** out of Calgar in combat for the same cost, but remember to use him when you want slowly advancing Long Fangs or even more annoying Terminators/Hunter squads.

6) Bjorn the Fellhanded
He is support. Take him with a Plasma Cannon, leave him near an Iron Priest, and screw around with all the other units in the list.

7) Canis Wolfborn
Buy for the rules, not for the model. Wolfborn needs a retinue of 4 Riders, but remember THE FOE COMES TO HIM. Make sure he is at the front, and the rest charge around him or try to get multiple enemies. Use 30 Fenrisian Wolves around him to make sure his unit loses no wounds.

8) Lukas the Trickster
DO NOT WANT. I killed him and his entire unit with 10 Bloodletters one week, while they were too busy dealing with my understrength Plaguebearer's unit. Lukas' trick only comes into play when he is alone, so till then you can Wound Allocate him to death. Use him as a shock unit, or a kamikaze, with minimum Claws while near a Rhino or something.

9) Arjac Rockfist
MAY NOT WANT. Like Lukas, only better. Stick him with a high risk target - 2 Long Fangs with Plasma Weaponry, for example - as the Stubborn rule only applies when he is alone. Arjac is best used as another Kamikaze unit while the rest of your army is on the other half - a Refused Force, if you will.

10) Blood Claws
May look useless, but they're not supposed to hold objectives or keep people in combat - they are there for killing people. Charge the biggest unit you can find - Ork Boyz, Termagaunts, unupgraded Hormas - and watch as the Claws beat the hell out of them. Use them at full strength or don't use them at all. Special Weapons are USELESS here, unless with a character who makes up for their bad skills with Preferred Enemy/if it's Flamers.

11) Grey Hunters
Your preferred troop. Hunters advance behind the claws, claiming objectives and finishing off running foes.

12) Wolf Lord
13) Wolf Guard Battle Leader
Both of these are combat/leadership buffs. The Lord keeps his points high, while the leader keeps them low. Use them as a Hammer unit, to blast whatever the hell your opponent throws at your unit, and rmember to keep the fluff: That Land Raider was obviously this lord's personal transport, for example. Model them and you get bonuses, dude. Remember to play as if he is YOU - that lord's Saga is yours, so keep track of it.

14) Wolf Priest
Always pick Beastslayer for the Priest - it's good for Nurgle/Ravenwing forces. The Oath of War needs to be based upon your foe's preferred choice, and also upon your unit chosen as Retinue...

15) Long Fangs
Take 3 units in every army from the following...
Anti Horde: Vindicator, Whirlwind, 6 Long Fangs (SL PlasGun, 5 Fangs with ML/PC)

16) Sky Claws
17) Swift Claws
DO NOT WANT. If you take them, take two of same type with same upgrades. These are to refuse the enemy's deployment - flank them and build up the threats.

18) Thunderwolf Cavalry
19) Fenrisian Wolves
If you like Bikes in a normal marine army, take these instead of Swift Claws. See Goatboy's articles for tactics.

20) Wolf Scouts
Wolf Scouts are made to Outflank, so make them either durable (big squad) or hard hitting (loads of Plasma, Melta, or whatever). If they Outflank, they DIE IMMEDIATELY, so make them count before you do so and attack their weak point for massive damage.

21) Lone Wolf
Sacrifice Unit. Give him Wolves and RUN. HIM. FORWARD. Nuff Said

22) Wolf Guard Terminators
Pick a Role: Fire or Charge. Then go with it. Power Fists are more economical than Thunder Hammers, but Power Swords work too. Remember that you can get 5 normal Wolf Guard and 5 Terminators... allowing for 2 Heavy Weapons overall. NEVER split a Terminator off unless it's Arjac or if you need to.

23) Wolf Guard
Pretty much only sergeants...

geneticdeviant
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
1) Ulrik
Ulrik the Slayer, if you use him, has to be in a force without a Wolf Lord. Use a Wolf Guard Battle Leader, or another Wolf Guard such as perhaps Arjac, and Mentor him.

Ulrik cannot mentor a unique character, Arjac is classed as a unique character i'm afraid

2) Ragnar
Ragnar is a beast in combat, so here's a tip: Either use him in a Logan Grimnir army, or in one built around this element. The retinue he needs is 10 Hunters with Wolf Standard and 2 Melta/Plasma Guns. His force will include at least 2 squads of 15 Blood Claws.
If you like Mech wolves, keep Ragnar and retinue in a Rhino, with a bunch of disembarked Claws and such around him. They give him a cover save, and once per game he can Howl to give them FC - the fact he's in a Rhino will increase it's range by an inch or two

3) Rune Priest
Think of the Priest as a support element, so if you take him take a Wolf Guard or two as well. The Priest needs to either focus or be an all rounder...

4) Njal Stormcaller
Here's a tip: DO NOT TAKE RUNIC TERMINATOR ARMOUR unless you have spare points or a small retinue. Njal is best used as part of a unit of 10 Terminators who have been CC tooled up - dig him into the middle of the unit, and try to keep him out of combat. His abilities are always on, so if you want you could instead just put him into a LR - Crusader, which just stays in the middle of the board all day with Runic Weapon and all.

5) Logan Grimnir
An army of Wolf Guard is only of use between 2000 and 3000 points - past that, it's useless. However, you can use it if you don't like Blood Claws - Wolf Guard have higher stats and always have 2/3 attacks, all for +3pts over the Claws.

6) Bjorn the Fellhanded
He is support. Take him with a Plasma Cannon, leave him near an Iron Priest, and screw around with all the other units in the list.

7) Canis Wolfborn
Buy for the rules, not for the model. Wolfborn needs a retinue of 4 Riders, but remember THE FOE COMES TO HIM. Make sure he is at the front, and the rest charge around him or try to get multiple enemies. Use 30 Fenrisian Wolves around him to make sure his unit loses no wounds.

8) Lukas the Trickster
DO NOT WANT. I killed him and his entire unit with 10 Bloodletters one week, while they were too busy dealing with my understrength Plaguebearer's unit. Lukas' trick only comes into play when he is alone, so till then you can Wound Allocate him to death. Use him as a shock unit, or a kamikaze, with minimum Claws while near a Rhino or something.

9) Arjac Rockfist
MAY NOT WANT. Like Lukas, only better. Stick him with a high risk target - 2 Long Fangs with Plasma Weaponry, for example - as the Stubborn rule only applies when he is alone. Arjac is best used as another Kamikaze unit while the rest of your army is on the other half - a Refused Force, if you will.

10) Blood Claws
May look useless, but they're not supposed to hold objectives or keep people in combat - they are there for killing people. Charge the biggest unit you can find - Ork Boyz, Termagaunts, unupgraded Hormas - and watch as the Claws beat the hell out of them. Use them at full strength or don't use them at all. Special Weapons are USELESS here, unless with a character who makes up for their bad skills with Preferred Enemy/if it's Flamers.

11) Grey Hunters
Your preferred troop. Hunters advance behind the claws, claiming objectives and finishing off running foes.

12) Wolf Lord
13) Wolf Guard Battle Leader
Both of these are combat/leadership buffs. The Lord keeps his points high, while the leader keeps them low. Use them as a Hammer unit, to blast whatever the hell your opponent throws at your unit, and rmember to keep the fluff: That Land Raider was obviously this lord's personal transport, for example. Model them and you get bonuses, dude. Remember to play as if he is YOU - that lord's Saga is yours, so keep track of it.

14) Wolf Priest
Always pick Beastslayer for the Priest - it's good for Nurgle/Ravenwing forces. The Oath of War needs to be based upon your foe's preferred choice, and also upon your unit chosen as Retinue...

15) Long Fangs
Take 3 units in every army from the following...

16) Sky Claws
17) Swift Claws
DO NOT WANT. If you take them, take two of same type with same upgrades. These are to refuse the enemy's deployment - flank them and build up the threats.

18) Thunderwolf Cavalry
19) Fenrisian Wolves
If you like Bikes in a normal marine army, take these instead of Swift Claws. See Goatboy's articles for tactics.

20) Wolf Scouts
Wolf Scouts are made to Outflank, so make them either durable (big squad) or hard hitting (loads of Plasma, Melta, or whatever). If they Outflank, they DIE IMMEDIATELY, so make them count before you do so and attack their weak point for massive damage.

21) Lone Wolf
Sacrifice Unit. Give him Wolves and RUN. HIM. FORWARD. Nuff Said

22) Wolf Guard Terminators
Pick a Role: Fire or Charge. Then go with it. Power Fists are more economical than Thunder Hammers, but Power Swords work too. Remember that you can get 5 normal Wolf Guard and 5 Terminators... allowing for 2 Heavy Weapons overall. NEVER split a Terminator off unless it's Arjac or if you need to.

23) Wolf Guard
Pretty much only sergeants...

great post thanks, just a minor issue regarding Ulrik's mentor rule, see note above.

geneticdeviant
01-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Som further thoughts / advice quoted from another esteemed member of these boards:

1) Ulrik: Let me start by saying this: His whole goal in life is to DIE. With that said, you want him in a unit you're willing to throw at Monstrous Creatures or high toughness folks all day long. He gets slighted by his rules as they almost make him less effective than a standard Wolf Priest. I would put him either in a squad of Blood Claws or Wolf Guard. They would gain the most from his Slayer's Oath. On to the Mentor rule: This is pretty sweet especially if you want to make a Champion out of a chump. You want Ulrik to be at the front of any assault as his ability to allow failed re-rolls for Leadership is really handy.

2) Ragnar: Two words: Attack Dog. Throw him in a Land Raider with either a Grey Hunter Pack or Wolf Guard, kit them out for Close Combat and watch the carnage ensue. Wolf Standard is a must with this fellow as well as Mark of the Wulfen. If you get him with a full up Wolf Guard Squad packed with Lightning Claws and a few Thunder Hammers, you will wipe entire units off of the table per turn. In addition, with Saga of the Warrior Born, you will achieve the ability of Ragnar being able to detach and take on whole squads by himself. Again, you want him leading from the front in an assault as he can let out his War Howl for an initial slam into the lines of your enemy or a final push to crush the remains.

3) Rune Priest: If you're going to have any type of rear echelon group, place him with them. You can run him with Living Lightning and Tempest Wrath. Put Master of Runes and you have a Deep Strike Denying, infinite ranged autocannon that affords you a 24" bubble. Out side of that...no real use for him.

4) Njal: Arguably one of the coolest Special's for the Wolves, this man is effectively a one man army. In knowing all of the powers, as well as having the ability to do 2 a turn, he is a force to be reckoned with. Now the hardest part is deciding where to place the old man. Looking over his powers, his average range is that of a Bolter, so in order to capitalize on this he has to be close. I usually put him in a drop pod with a Wolf Guard retinue in Terminator Armor. Drop him in the enemy rear and cause some major pain. Here, you maximize all of his Lord of Tempest powers as well as sniping Monstrous Creatures and other low initiative folks. Additionally, you can land several pods around him and build a heavy fire base in the enemy's flank.

5) Logan: Ah, the man that gives the ability of Space Wolves to pretend they are Deathwing. He has many more uses than that. He can make any unit twice as effective. Attaching him to which type of unit is up to you. Some say attach with Long Fangs and drop them in the enemies face for fun (Viable but dangerous, you may as well kiss the unit goodbye) while others say pack him with some Wolf Guard and let him truly shine. I personally would go for the latter, in a Drop Pod and place him next to his old pal Njal. This way, Njal has additional support and a buffer for enemy counter attack. Plus, after the second turn, when these folks attack, they can assault in with the Living Legend ability.

6) Bjorn: The dreadnought that everyone wishes they could be. This old man is one of my favorites just because of his fluff and his unwillingness to die. As with the Rune Priest, I would place him in the backfield as part of a larger fire base. Probably load him with a Plasma Cannon as it seems for fitting for him and let the death rain down. Also, his saga of Majesty helps out especially when the units around him begin to take return fire.

7) Canis: Everything I said about Ragnar except attaching him to a unit. You want this blood crazed psycho on his own destroying units, which he is entirely capable of. As I said, you could use Mentor on him to increase his survivability in close combat making him harder to hit. Have him near Ragnar and watch the masters of Death at there finest (i.e. Canis engages 8 Orks, his base attack is now 8, +1 for charging and +1 for 2 close combat weapons, he has 10 attacks, if Ragnar uses War Howl, Canis becomes Initiative 6, Strength 6 and hits on a 3+ no matter what with Re-Rolls to wound...you get the point), shield him with some Fenrisian wolves who become Initiative 5 and well...you'll be hardpressed to find a unit that survives that.

8) Lukas: Quite possibly my least favored character of them all...Throw him in with some Blood Claws and let them do what Blood Claws do best...die.

9) Arjac: I gotta say, one of the most brutal Specials for the Wolves. This man demands respect in every way possible. Capable of killing a Land Raider in the shooting phase and demolishing the contents in the assault phase, gotta love it. Seriously though, if you give this man Mentor, he will find ANY Independent Character or Monstrous Creature and HE WILL kill them. Hitting on a 3+ with re-rolls to hit? Yeah, you're going down whoever you are (5 attacks on the charge that hit on a 3+ that re-roll at Strength 10, you better believe something is dying.). In terms of where to put him, it is a tough call. You could place him with Ragnar. After all is said and done, he can go anywhere and do almost anything you ask of him.

Herald of Nurgle
01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Completely forgot about the whole Unique Character bit lol.

It's interesting to see what people usually put in their wolves - my current total force is this:
Njal Stormcaller in Runic Armour
Ragnar Blackmane
Wolf Priest with Jump Pack
Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Twin Wolf Claws
8 Wolf Guard Marines - TH/SS, TWC, PP/PW, FA/BP, TH/BP, 2 BP/CS, Other
4 Wolf Guard Termies - AC/PF, TH/SS, 2 SB/PW
10 Grey Hunters - 2 Meltaguns, 1 Wolf Standard, 1 PW
10 Blood Claws - 2 Plasguns, 2 PW
Land Raider Redeemer 'Skyrars Wrath'
7 Long Fangs with 2 Pack Leaders, 4 Plasma Cannons, 2 Heavy Bolters

I have also constructed 10 TH/SS Termies recently which... oddly enough have a guy who could count as Arjac if I went 'yep, this guy represents the corruption of Skyrar's Dark Wolves at this moment' lol. Also got 4 Vindicators, 10 DA Robe Veterans (no Aquilas or DA markings) inc. 4 Meltaguns which i've got to decide what to do with... lol.

Unholy_Martyr
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Som further thoughts / advice quoted from another esteemed member of these boards:

1) Ulrik: Let me start by saying this: His whole goal in life is to DIE. With that said, you want him in a unit you're willing to throw at Monstrous Creatures or high toughness folks all day long. He gets slighted by his rules as they almost make him less effective than a standard Wolf Priest. I would put him either in a squad of Blood Claws or Wolf Guard. They would gain the most from his Slayer's Oath. On to the Mentor rule: This is pretty sweet especially if you want to make a Champion out of a chump. You want Ulrik to be at the front of any assault as his ability to allow failed re-rolls for Leadership is really handy.

2) Ragnar: Two words: Attack Dog. Throw him in a Land Raider with either a Grey Hunter Pack or Wolf Guard, kit them out for Close Combat and watch the carnage ensue. Wolf Standard is a must with this fellow as well as Mark of the Wulfen. If you get him with a full up Wolf Guard Squad packed with Lightning Claws and a few Thunder Hammers, you will wipe entire units off of the table per turn. In addition, with Saga of the Warrior Born, you will achieve the ability of Ragnar being able to detach and take on whole squads by himself. Again, you want him leading from the front in an assault as he can let out his War Howl for an initial slam into the lines of your enemy or a final push to crush the remains.

3) Rune Priest: If you're going to have any type of rear echelon group, place him with them. You can run him with Living Lightning and Tempest Wrath. Put Master of Runes and you have a Deep Strike Denying, infinite ranged autocannon that affords you a 24" bubble. Out side of that...no real use for him.

4) Njal: Arguably one of the coolest Special's for the Wolves, this man is effectively a one man army. In knowing all of the powers, as well as having the ability to do 2 a turn, he is a force to be reckoned with. Now the hardest part is deciding where to place the old man. Looking over his powers, his average range is that of a Bolter, so in order to capitalize on this he has to be close. I usually put him in a drop pod with a Wolf Guard retinue in Terminator Armor. Drop him in the enemy rear and cause some major pain. Here, you maximize all of his Lord of Tempest powers as well as sniping Monstrous Creatures and other low initiative folks. Additionally, you can land several pods around him and build a heavy fire base in the enemy's flank.

5) Logan: Ah, the man that gives the ability of Space Wolves to pretend they are Deathwing. He has many more uses than that. He can make any unit twice as effective. Attaching him to which type of unit is up to you. Some say attach with Long Fangs and drop them in the enemies face for fun (Viable but dangerous, you may as well kiss the unit goodbye) while others say pack him with some Wolf Guard and let him truly shine. I personally would go for the latter, in a Drop Pod and place him next to his old pal Njal. This way, Njal has additional support and a buffer for enemy counter attack. Plus, after the second turn, when these folks attack, they can assault in with the Living Legend ability.

6) Bjorn: The dreadnought that everyone wishes they could be. This old man is one of my favorites just because of his fluff and his unwillingness to die. As with the Rune Priest, I would place him in the backfield as part of a larger fire base. Probably load him with a Plasma Cannon as it seems for fitting for him and let the death rain down. Also, his saga of Majesty helps out especially when the units around him begin to take return fire.

7) Canis: Everything I said about Ragnar except attaching him to a unit. You want this blood crazed psycho on his own destroying units, which he is entirely capable of. As I said, you could use Mentor on him to increase his survivability in close combat making him harder to hit. Have him near Ragnar and watch the masters of Death at there finest (i.e. Canis engages 8 Orks, his base attack is now 8, +1 for charging and +1 for 2 close combat weapons, he has 10 attacks, if Ragnar uses War Howl, Canis becomes Initiative 6, Strength 6 and hits on a 3+ no matter what with Re-Rolls to wound...you get the point), shield him with some Fenrisian wolves who become Initiative 5 and well...you'll be hardpressed to find a unit that survives that.

8) Lukas: Quite possibly my least favored character of them all...Throw him in with some Blood Claws and let them do what Blood Claws do best...die.

9) Arjac: I gotta say, one of the most brutal Specials for the Wolves. This man demands respect in every way possible. Capable of killing a Land Raider in the shooting phase and demolishing the contents in the assault phase, gotta love it. Seriously though, if you give this man Mentor, he will find ANY Independent Character or Monstrous Creature and HE WILL kill them. Hitting on a 3+ with re-rolls to hit? Yeah, you're going down whoever you are (5 attacks on the charge that hit on a 3+ that re-roll at Strength 10, you better believe something is dying.). In terms of where to put him, it is a tough call. You could place him with Ragnar. After all is said and done, he can go anywhere and do almost anything you ask of him.

Esteemed...feeling warm and fuzzy inside from that :D

geneticdeviant
01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Esteemed...feeling warm and fuzzy inside from that :D

well credit where credits due lol,

any further advice to offer dude?

Unholy_Martyr
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
The key to everything listed in this post is to remember what you're going for in an army list.

First, what point level are you playing at? If you're playing 1500pts, do you want to devote 1/3 of your points to Special Characters or 1/6? What are those Special Characters bringing to the table that your normal Headquarters can't offer? Key example: In my Drop Pod hybrid list, I use Njal in Terminator armor with 3-4 Terminator Wolf Guard. He brings all of the Psychic Powers that Space Wolves offer, awesome Wargear that can cause ruin to my oppoent and (in my opinion) is the single GREATEST Special Character at grabbing the enemies attention. I plop him with his squad and a Dreadnought about 24-30" in front of my opponents lines (In an area providing decent cover if I expect a fusillade of return fire, or on a flank so as to open up a second threat), and watch as 1500pts focuses on destroying 500-600pts.

Secondly, what do you want your force to emulate? Do you want to fight like the wind (Fast assaults that are violent but need to keep moving in order to survive) or do you want to fight like the earth (Slow, methodical and pusposeful with overwhelming firepower and assault capability that has staying power as well)? Play to your school of thought, don't think that one Character is going to make your Army (Vulkan does this for Vanilla Marines, turns them from Vanilla to Mint Chocolate Chip, still tastey :-)). Desgin your army around what feels natural to you.

Finally, remember that at the end of the day only one thing counts: The winner is the one with the most blood on their hands, some of it may be from your own men, but the fact remains, shear violence carries the day.

geneticdeviant
01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
The key to everything listed in this post is to remember what you're going for in an army list.

First, what point level are you playing at? If you're playing 1500pts, do you want to devote 1/3 of your points to Special Characters or 1/6? What are those Special Characters bringing to the table that your normal Headquarters can't offer? Key example: In my Drop Pod hybrid list, I use Njal in Terminator armor with 3-4 Terminator Wolf Guard. He brings all of the Psychic Powers that Space Wolves offer, awesome Wargear that can cause ruin to my oppoent and (in my opinion) is the single GREATEST Special Character at grabbing the enemies attention. I plop him with his squad and a Dreadnought about 24-30" in front of my opponents lines (In an area providing decent cover if I expect a fusillade of return fire, or on a flank so as to open up a second threat), and watch as 1500pts focuses on destroying 500-600pts.

Secondly, what do you want your force to emulate? Do you want to fight like the wind (Fast assaults that are violent but need to keep moving in order to survive) or do you want to fight like the earth (Slow, methodical and pusposeful with overwhelming firepower and assault capability that has staying power as well)? Play to your school of thought, don't think that one Character is going to make your Army (Vulkan does this for Vanilla Marines, turns them from Vanilla to Mint Chocolate Chip, still tastey :-)). Desgin your army around what feels natural to you.

Finally, remember that at the end of the day only one thing counts: The winner is the one with the most blood on their hands, some of it may be from your own men, but the fact remains, shear violence carries the day.

OK well i usually play 2000 point lists.

The purpose of this thread was to see how people use different units/choices in their army and what works well for them.

I personally favour an assault heavy list with plenty of firepower.

geneticdeviant
01-18-2010, 08:39 AM
I think this thread needs to be resurrected and act as a guide on how to use each and every space wolve unit. Looking for the best configuration/setup/equipment for each selection.

Hey guys, im not looking for an army list as such but ideas on how best to use some of the units in my collection. I find i have many units that i just do not use and would like to maybe give them a try.

This thread could act as a definitive guide maybe for the space wolves units where ideas and ways of play / tactics are discussed. I for one believe this would be highly useful.

So ideas please guys for any units in the space wolves, please share your effective tactics here:

here are some listed that maybe you can advise on (but any space wolves unit also please)

Looking for the best configuration/setup/equipment for each selection.

So heres a start based on your advice (any character/unit left blank i'm not sure on and need your advice)

LOGAN GRIMNAR

1/. Some say attach with Long Fangs and drop them in the enemies face for fun (Viable but dangerous, you may as well kiss the unit goodbye) while others say pack him with some Wolf Guard and let him truly shine. I personally would go for the latter, in a Drop Pod and place him next to his old pal Njal. This way, Njal has additional support and a buffer for enemy counter attack. Plus, after the second turn, when these folks attack, they can assault in with the Living Legend ability.

2/. An army of Wolf Guard is only of use between 2000 and 3000 points - past that, it's useless. However, you can use it if you don't like Blood Claws - Wolf Guard have higher stats and always have 2/3 attacks, all for +3pts over the Claws.

NJAL STORMCALLER

1/. His average range is that of a Bolter, so in order to capitalize on this he has to be close. I usually put him in a drop pod with a Wolf Guard retinue in Terminator Armor. Drop him in the enemy rear and cause some major pain. Here, you maximize all of his Lord of Tempest powers as well as sniping Monstrous Creatures and other low initiative folks. Additionally, you can land several pods around him and build a heavy fire base in the enemy's flank.

2/. Here's a tip: DO NOT TAKE RUNIC TERMINATOR ARMOUR unless you have spare points or a small retinue. Njal is best used as part of a unit of 10 Terminators who have been CC tooled up - dig him into the middle of the unit, and try to keep him out of combat. His abilities are always on, so if you want you could instead just put him into a LR - Crusader, which just stays in the middle of the board all day with Runic Weapon and all.

RAGNAR BLACKMANE

1/. Throw him in a Land Raider with either a Grey Hunter Pack or Wolf Guard, kit them out for Close Combat and watch the carnage ensue. Wolf Standard is a must with this fellow as well as Mark of the Wulfen. If you get him with a full up Wolf Guard Squad packed with Lightning Claws and a few Thunder Hammers, you will wipe entire units off of the table per turn. In addition, with Saga of the Warrior Born, you will achieve the ability of Ragnar being able to detach and take on whole squads by himself. Again, you want him leading from the front in an assault as he can let out his War Howl for an initial slam into the lines of your enemy or a final push to crush the remains.

2/. Ragnar is a beast in combat, so here's a tip: Either use him in a Logan Grimnir army, or in one built around this element. The retinue he needs is 10 Hunters with Wolf Standard and 2 Melta/Plasma Guns. His force will include at least 2 squads of 15 Blood Claws.
If you like Mech wolves, keep Ragnar and retinue in a Rhino, with a bunch of disembarked Claws and such around him. They give him a cover save, and once per game he can Howl to give them FC - the fact he's in a Rhino will increase it's range by an inch or two.

ULRIK THE SLAYER

1/. You want him in a unit you're willing to throw at Monstrous Creatures or high toughness folks all day long. He gets slighted by his rules as they almost make him less effective than a standard Wolf Priest. I would put him either in a squad of Blood Claws or Wolf Guard. They would gain the most from his Slayer's Oath. On to the Mentor rule: This is pretty sweet especially if you want to make a Champion out of a chump. You want Ulrik to be at the front of any assault as his ability to allow failed re-rolls for Leadership is really handy.

2/. Ulrik the Slayer, if you use him, has to be in a force without a Wolf Lord. Use a Wolf Guard Battle Leader, or another Wolf Guard and Mentor him.

CANIS WOLFBORN

1/. You want this blood crazed psycho on his own destroying units, which he is entirely capable of. As I said, you could use Mentor on him to increase his survivability in close combat making him harder to hit. Have him near Ragnar and watch the masters of Death at there finest (i.e. Canis engages 8 Orks, his base attack is now 8, +1 for charging and +1 for 2 close combat weapons, he has 10 attacks, if Ragnar uses War Howl, Canis becomes Initiative 6, Strength 6 and hits on a 3+ no matter what with Re-Rolls to wound...you get the point), shield him with some Fenrisian wolves who become Initiative 5 and well...you'll be hardpressed to find a unit that survives that.

2/. Attach to unit of Thunderwolf Cavalry

3/. Buy for the rules, not for the model. Wolfborn needs a retinue of 4 Riders, but remember THE FOE COMES TO HIM. Make sure he is at the front, and the rest charge around him or try to get multiple enemies. Use 30 Fenrisian Wolves around him to make sure his unit loses no wounds

BJORN THE FELL-HANDED

1/. I would place him in the backfield as part of a larger fire base. Probably load him with a Plasma Cannon as it seems for fitting for him and let the death rain down. Also, his saga of Majesty helps out especially when the units around him begin to take return fire.

2/. He is support. Take him with a Plasma Cannon, leave him near an Iron Priest, and screw around with all the other units in the list.

WOLF LORD

1/. these are combat/leadership buffs. The Lord keeps his points high, while the leader keeps them low. Use them as a Hammer unit, to blast whatever the hell your opponent throws at your unit, and rmember to keep the fluff: That Land Raider was obviously this lord's personal transport, for example. Model them and you get bonuses, dude. Remember to play as if he is YOU - that lord's Saga is yours, so keep track of it

RUNE PRIEST

1/. If you're going to have any type of rear echelon group, place him with them. You can run him with Living Lightning and Tempest Wrath. Put Master of Runes and you have a Deep Strike Denying, infinite ranged autocannon that affords you a 24" bubble.

2/. Think of the Priest as a support element, so if you take him take a Wolf Guard or two as well. The Priest needs to either focus or be an all rounder...

WOLF PRIEST

1/. Always pick Beastslayer for the Priest - it's good for Nurgle/Ravenwing forces. The Oath of War needs to be based upon your foe's preferred choice, and also upon your unit chosen as Retinue...

WOLF GUARD BATTLE LEADER

1/. These are combat/leadership buffs. The Lord keeps his points high, while the leader keeps them low. Use them as a Hammer unit, to blast whatever the hell your opponent throws at your unit, and rmember to keep the fluff: That Land Raider was obviously this lord's personal transport, for example. Model them and you get bonuses, dude. Remember to play as if he is YOU - that lord's Saga is yours, so keep track of it

WOLF GUARD PACK

1/. Wolf guard squad with wolf claws led by a chaplin, rerolling to hit and to wound has enabled this unit to take some impressive scalps in its short gaming history

2/. Pretty much only sergeants...

WOLF GUARD IN TERMINATOR ARMOUR PACK

1/. Pick a Role: Fire or Charge. Then go with it. Power Fists are more economical than Thunder Hammers, but Power Swords work too. Remember that you can get 5 normal Wolf Guard and 5 Terminators... allowing for 2 Heavy Weapons overall. NEVER split a Terminator off unless it's Arjac or if you need to.

ARJAC ROCKFIST

1/. This man demands respect in every way possible. Capable of killing a Land Raider in the shooting phase and demolishing the contents in the assault phase, gotta love it. Seriously though, if you give this man Mentor, he will find ANY Independent Character or Monstrous Creature and HE WILL kill them. Hitting on a 3+ with re-rolls to hit? Yeah, you're going down whoever you are (5 attacks on the charge that hit on a 3+ that re-roll at Strength 10, you better believe something is dying.). In terms of where to put him, it is a tough call. You could place him with Ragnar. After all is said and done, he can go anywhere and do almost anything you ask of him.

2/. Arjac in a drop pod with 8 grey hunters, melta, p fist, p pistol and wolf standard is a good way of putting your opponent on the back foot. Ive had some great success with this unit. Dont expect it to live, but your opponent must deal with it

3/. In regards Arjac, put him in a unit of terminators along with a Rune Priest with Termnator armour equipped with JOTWW. Run them in a Landraider and go IC and MC hunting, Strike the IC or MC with Arjac's ranged Foehammer(thunderhammer) attack, should the opponent survive, his iniative from then on is Iniative 1, Then use the Rune Priest and Jaws of the World Wolf him. He is surely going to die, with Iniative 1, he is going down no matter who he is or how many wounds he has. AWESOME!!!!!

DREADNOUGHT

1/. Twin linked Assault Cannon

VENERABLE DREADNOUGHT

IRON PRIEST

1/. Mount this guy on a Thunderwolf and equip with wolf tooth necklace, attach to a unit of 3 Cyberwolves.

WOLF SCOUTS PACK

1/. With melta and 2 plasma pistols

2/. Wolf Scouts are made to Outflank, so make them either durable (big squad) or hard hitting (loads of Plasma, Melta, or whatever). If they Outflank, they DIE IMMEDIATELY, so make them count before you do so and attack their weak point for massive damage.

LONE WOLF

1/. With Mark of the Wulfen, Termie armour, power weapon, storm bolter.

2/. Sacrifice Unit. Give him Wolves and RUN. HIM. FORWARD. Nuff Said

GREY HUNTERS PACK

1/. Put in units of 10, take 2 meltas and add a rhino as transport

2/. ( 5) grey hunters with 1 wolf guard with a frost blade
the grey hunters carry a melta gun the rest bolt pistols and close combat weapon i vary from razor back to rhino if i do rhinos both rhinos have an xtra storm bolter led by ragnar and njal ( not in ta ) terminator armor.

3/. 5 man Grey Hunter Squads in Razorbacks... Motw, PP, Flamer or Melta and a power type weapon (fist or weapon) and an attached Wolf Guard. The TLAC and Las cannon versions present a decent threat, and the whole thing is ~200 points or so... So, 3+ squads wolf packing the target...

BLOOD CLAWS PACK

1/. Hard to justify these unless you max out to a unit of 15, led by Lukas in a Land Raider Crusader.

2/. or May look useless, but they're not supposed to hold objectives or keep people in combat - they are there for killing people. Charge the biggest unit you can find - Ork Boyz, Termagaunts, unupgraded Hormas - and watch as the Claws beat the hell out of them. Use them at full strength or don't use them at all. Special Weapons are USELESS here, unless with a character who makes up for their bad skills with Preferred Enemy/if it's Flamers.

LUKAS THE TRICKSTER

1/. Throw him in with a maxed out pack of Blood Claws in a landraider.

THUNDERWOLF CAVALRY

1/. Field a unit of 3 of these bad boys equipped with power fist and storm shield

SWIFTCLAW BIKER PACK

SKYCLAW ASSAULT PACK

LANDSPEEDER SQUADRON

1/. Equip with heavy flamer / multi melta

FENRISIAN WOLF PACK

LONG FANGS PACK

1/. My preference for Long Fangs is to have them equipped with 5 missile launchers led by a wolf guard cyclone.

2/. Take 3 units in every army from the following...

PREDATOR

WHIRLWIND

VINDICATOR

1/. with siege shields

LANDRAIDER

LANDRAIDER REDEEMER

LANDRAIDER CRUSADER

RHINO

RAZORBACK

DROP POD

So guys, any further advice or alternative suggestions. please leave your comments.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS: Many thanks to all those who have already contributed their advice which i have quoted above.

Unholy_Martyr
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
This time I think I will focus on the Vehicles aspect for these Dogs.

PREDATOR
Oh how you have fallen from grace my dear friend. Granted, the predator has always been somewhat of a "Stand-by" unit for the wolves (In the previous codex, Long Fangs were just far more cost effective and if someone needed to lay down the Dakka pain, they just took a Leman Russ Exterminator). Now, the Predator still suffers from the same stigma. However, with the introduction of so many mechanized lists, this guy could be found to be rather potent.

The most effective loadouts I have seen are Autocannon with Lascannon Sponsons or Autocannon with Heavy Bolter Sponsons. The former of the two is obviously the Anti-mech version as it allows the ability to reach out and touch anyone down range and pop their armored baby carriage. The latter is for the times when you know there's a horde coming and the best save they can present is a 4+. At most, one should take no more than 2 as they are easily trumped by other units in the Heavy Support slot, but they still can hold their own in a stand up fight.

WHIRLWIND
Ah, the bane of all things horde. To be honest, there are very few instances where I would field this 41st Millenium version of the MLRS. It lacks the punch that so many other weapons in this codex have. Sure a S5 AP4 Ordnance template is nice, but as we all know there are enough Marine Equivalents out there and so much cover that this will not make a difference. Now the cover denying round is something that is rather special. Sure it has the same abilities as a Flamer but it has a range of up to 48". This is something to keep an eye on. I especially enjoy the idea of raining death on a certain Ork player when I use that template to knock down his Kustom Force Fields usefulness and open up with the rest of my force.

This guy is specifically devoted to hordes, and with the Tyranids making a resurgence and their own cover generator, I feel he won't be gathering dust for much longer.

VINDICATOR
Quite possibly my favorite Heavy Support for the Wolves. Sure, the Long Fangs can split fire, killing a transport while mowing down Infantry, but nothing opens Land Raiders and makes Terminators cry as well as this ugly guy. Now while I'm discussing the unit, I might as well make a comment on the model. With all of the extra armor that gets slapped on the side of the Vindicator, don't you think it should at least count as having Extra Armor or another Armor Value point? Forgive me, I digress; back to the point, this dog is anything from pretty nor is it surgical. Its sole purpose in life is to vaporize your foe in a single shot. Sure Meltas and all that jazz are nice but you have to be 6-12" Away...if you're that close, my main concern wouldn't be shooting the tank anymore...but that's just me. 24" and I can still have a good chance of popping your Leman Russ from the front, yes please.

Suffice to say, there are QUITE a few drawbacks to this unit (Have to be rather close to unleash its full potential, has a big SHOOT ME sticker on it, etc.) However, the benefits I feel outweigh them. For instance, combined with Tempests Wrath, any Deep Striking unit with think twice about deploying within 24" of me. Also, it works awesomely on Drop Pods and Terminators, all you say is "Thank you for making my target so easy to annihilate!"

I would continue on to the Land Raider and its other variants; however, I feel they belong more so in the Transport area of discussion which I will do at a later point.

Disgruntled_Viking
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Awesome sum up and tactics for the Wolves. Personally I love pulling the Wolf Mob (15 Blood Claws, Wolf Guard, Wolf Priest leading). Have fun dealing with the 17-man mob of fearless pissed off young marines (which if your smart, re-roll the hits due to Oath of War). Keep up the good work!

Unholy_Martyr
03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
A little tidbit on Bjorn the Fell Handed, this old fella is nothing to play with.

A WS 6 BS6 Dreadnought with the armor of a Predator is not that imposing on paper; however, add on the fact that he is Venerable, has a 5+ Invulnerable save, allows you to re-roll to see who goes first AND after he dies he becomes an objective...you've got something special.

I have been using this guy in almost every list I run, save for a few. Most people think an H.Q. dreadnought is a waste of points; however, everyone expects that there is someone else in my Army who is part of a Death Star unit while Bjorn is just something to shoot Lascannons and Missile Launchers at. This is all fine and good until your Death Start unit runs into a guy with 5 attacks on the charge that hit on 3's and instakill pretty much everything you can find on the table. Then, if he dies in the backfield in an objective mission, you just park a Grey Hunter pack on him and claim ANOTHER objective. This would be clutch as you could solidly own two objectives if played right.

Now, him becoming an objective is slightly risky and requires some finesse. If it is looking grim for you down field and you now you can't take to opponents objective, sacrifice him at home and claim your 2nd objective for the win.

The big problem with old boy is that in a Kill Points game, if no Wolves are in contact with him after he dies, he gives up D3 kill points. AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS! I have not lost him yet in the past few Annihilation games but I always keep 2 Packs of Grey Hunters nearby just in case the worst happens. In the next coming weeks I'll attempt to fill in the gaps on the rest of the above list with some other advice.

geneticdeviant
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
A little tidbit on Bjorn the Fell Handed, this old fella is nothing to play with.

A WS 6 BS6 Dreadnought with the armor of a Predator is not that imposing on paper; however, add on the fact that he is Venerable, has a 5+ Invulnerable save, allows you to re-roll to see who goes first AND after he dies he becomes an objective...you've got something special.

I have been using this guy in almost every list I run, save for a few. Most people think an H.Q. dreadnought is a waste of points; however, everyone expects that there is someone else in my Army who is part of a Death Star unit while Bjorn is just something to shoot Lascannons and Missile Launchers at. This is all fine and good until your Death Start unit runs into a guy with 5 attacks on the charge that hit on 3's and instakill pretty much everything you can find on the table. Then, if he dies in the backfield in an objective mission, you just park a Grey Hunter pack on him and claim ANOTHER objective. This would be clutch as you could solidly own two objectives if played right.

Now, him becoming an objective is slightly risky and requires some finesse. If it is looking grim for you down field and you now you can't take to opponents objective, sacrifice him at home and claim your 2nd objective for the win.

The big problem with old boy is that in a Kill Points game, if no Wolves are in contact with him after he dies, he gives up D3 kill points. AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS! I have not lost him yet in the past few Annihilation games but I always keep 2 Packs of Grey Hunters nearby just in case the worst happens. In the next coming weeks I'll attempt to fill in the gaps on the rest of the above list with some other advice.

Great points there - really is great advice.

In regards Arjac, put him in a unit of terminators along with a Rune Priest with Termnator armour equipped with JOTWW. Run them in a Landraider and go IC and MC hunting, Strike the IC or MC with Arjac's ranged Foehammer(thunderhammer) attack, should the opponent survive, his iniative from then on is Iniative 1, Then use the Rune Priest and Jaws of the World Wolf him. He is surely going to die, with Iniative 1, he is going down no matter who he is or how many wounds he has. AWESOME!!!!!

Qinsane
11-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and fairly inexperienced in wh40k. I've had an army for years, but locally I haven't had much for people to play with. With the advent of Space Wolves, I grabbed a starter army and have begun playing with some friends. As such I have lots of questions.

Using conventional wisdom I try to make a well rounded, all comers drop pod list. Depending on the points I run some version of:

Rune Priest, LL, TW, 4xWolf Guard, Drop Pod
Rune Priest, LL, TW, 4xWolf Guard, Drop Pod (Add or subtract and HQ based on points)
9x Grey Hunters, Melta, Wolf Guard, Powerfist, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod (spammed to fit for points)
2x Long Fangs Packs of 3-5xMissile Launchers Drop Pod/Rhino

My biggest grief is against a Necron player. I run into two problems, the biggest issue is he runs 2-3 Monoliths. No matter how much missile spam I put into them I can't destroy them.

My second Issue becomes that he focuses fire on my Long Fangs with destroyers and heavy destroyers. By turn 3 their effectiveness is severely reduced from casualties.

Looking at my options I'm thinking Either:

3x 5xLong Fangs, 3xML, 2xLC, +1Wolf Guard, Term Armor, Cyclone ML. (268)

It's spendy, but I figure this selection gives me an invuln save, as well as more anti tank and more wounds for absorbing fire from those devastators.

Or, maybe I should invest in a vindicator or two. Thoughts? What other tactical use of the LF's could I use?

DarkLink
11-16-2010, 08:41 PM
My biggest grief is against a Necron player. I run into two problems, the biggest issue is he runs 2-3 Monoliths. No matter how much missile spam I put into them I can't destroy them.

Why are you shooting a Monolith? No, seriously, unless you have strength 10, and preferably AP 1, don't even bother. Meaning if you're not IG or Tau, ignore the monolith completely.

Also, it's literally impossible to glance a monolith to death. And since you can only glance with strength 8, you can't kill a monolith with missile launchers. So why even bother to try?

You're much, much, much, much, much, much better off shooting all those missiles into his infantry.

Tynskel
11-16-2010, 10:05 PM
vindicators and lascannons, if you are trying to destroy the Monoliths. But, as DarkLink has pointed out-- shoot the Necrons, you kill 75% of them, you win.

Another tactic against Necrons: Get into Close Combat. They suck at it, and the monolith's flux arcs can't shoot at you when you are locked in combat. Plus, when they break, you will easily run them down, and they do not get We'll Be Back Rolls from being chased down. Quick way to dispatch squad--- marching you ever closer to the 75%.

Calypso2ts
11-16-2010, 10:08 PM
The key against Necrons is to hem them in when they have destroyers to reduce their mobility and to be in a position to completely concentrate your fire. I am not sure how his destroyers are getting your Longfangs, you have a 48" range to his 36" range (I know jetbikes have a 12" move, but this gives you a great field of fire). That means he needs to come into the teeth of your army to hurt them. Also, an invuln shouldnt be needed at all since you should be in 4+ cover with those Long Fangs, not sitting in the open.

Remember to focus them down, if you wreck a whole unit he cannot WBB it at all since it has no unit to join. As it has been stated, ignore the monolith and phase him. With 2 Monoliths and destroyers he must have a pretty easy to reach phase out count. If you get in assault (likely with that many pods) sweep his warriors off the board.

Also, don't your rune priests need different powers? JotWW is also quite good for sniping walking Lords.

Edit: They are initiative 2 so it is really easy to sweep them as well, they can only beat you on a 4 if you roll a 1, a 5 on a 1,2 and a 6 on a 1,2,3 that means you have about an 80% chance to sweep them on a win.

Qinsane
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
So I don't look like a complete noob. His tactics are usually to screen with his monoliths so my long fangs have limited targets, then rushes the destroyers forward and puts volume of fire on my Long Fangs. He also keeps 2 squads of 3 destroyers in WBB range of each other so I can't up and eliminate then in one turn. Because he's screening with the monoliths his whole army is close together, I've podded in 3 full teams of GH just to watch them get wiped from his shooting phase.

This is why I asked about shooting the monolith's, If I can eliminate them I can limit his ability to screen and volume fire my CC.

This is an all around Wolve's tactics thread though, In the interest of keeping it that way: what other general tactics are viable against Necrons?

rle68
11-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Great points there - really is great advice.

In regards Arjac, put him in a unit of terminators along with a Rune Priest with Termnator armour equipped with JOTWW. Run them in a Landraider and go IC and MC hunting, Strike the IC or MC with Arjac's ranged Foehammer(thunderhammer) attack, should the opponent survive, his iniative from then on is Iniative 1, Then use the Rune Priest and Jaws of the World Wolf him. He is surely going to die, with Iniative 1, he is going down no matter who he is or how many wounds he has. AWESOME!!!!!

ok first off youll get an argument from alot of people who will cry a river saying arjac's thunderhammer doesnt work when thrown and second and most important of all the initiative modifier doesnt work with jotww. the modification doesnt modify his base stats doesnt work period. there is no faq supporting this but this is standard game play

and for the life of me why spend 275 for bjorn .. not even close to being worth it

rle68
11-27-2010, 06:46 PM
vindicators and lascannons, if you are trying to destroy the Monoliths. But, as DarkLink has pointed out-- shoot the Necrons, you kill 75% of them, you win.

Another tactic against Necrons: Get into Close Combat. They suck at it, and the monolith's flux arcs can't shoot at you when you are locked in combat. Plus, when they break, you will easily run them down, and they do not get We'll Be Back Rolls from being chased down. Quick way to dispatch squad--- marching you ever closer to the 75%.

if the necron lord is within 12" they always get wbb rolls if he has the res orb so that may not always be the case