PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Squad & Serpent Combo's

Lindargo
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi guys,
Just looking for some advice:
I have a squad of 10 Dire Avengers (usual Exarch, PW & Shield combo) and a squad of 5 Fire Dragons, i also have two Wave Serpents (one with Shuriken Cannon and Missiles, the other with Catapults and Bright lances).
Im just wondering, which squad should have which transport?
thanks,
Lindargo,

DarkLink
01-09-2010, 12:26 PM
The fire dragons need to get close to work, so their serpent should be the one that operates better up close/ can move and shoot more guns.

If there isn't a difference with regard to those two*, then it comes down to which wave serpent you want to survive longer. The one the fire dragons are in will probably get shot down first.

*I don't know eldar weapons very well off the top of my head

Lindargo
01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
i was thinking that the lances (anit-vehicle) could go with the dragons, and the missiles (both) can go with the DA. This means the FD's can take out 2 tanks at once and the DA's can combat the infantry?
They are both just as durable,
Lin,

davel
01-10-2010, 02:45 AM
have to disagree with lindargo on this one. put the DA with the bright lance and missile on the FD.
The reason being if your opponent is tank heavy then the other way round (Lindargos way) his target is a no brainer. Your most potent anti tank weapons are all in one package. take out the bright lance tank leaving your dragons walking and vulnerable. a 3rd of your anti tank ability nullified.
This also works if your opponent is a horde army with no tanks were the obvious target would be DA with shuriken can and missile launcher. Comparatively the FD are of no threat to this army and neither is their wave serpent.

This way your opponent has a tough choice to make, and even if you role a lot of ones ( though not too many) you should have a anti tank/ anti horde option left.

also working on the principle of ordering your anti tank weapons in terms of effectiveness as FD, BL, EML if you are facing a tank heavy army then your serpent should be motering up 24 inches to get the dragons up to the tanks as soon as. This of corse would prevent their main wave serpent gun from firing. So placing the bright lance on the dragon transport may to begin with actually prevent taking down 2 tanks. Instead place the bright lance on DA who in this situation would be hanging back waiting for enemy transports to be popped. they would be better using the bright lance to take pop shots as the FD motor up.

In general with wave serpents there are some squads that need them to be effective because they will be simply bypassed ,avoided or blasted apart from a far. theses would be DA,HB, SS who don't have infiltrated and FD. These squads are all highly specialized and good at what they do. To get flexibility in to your army thing of what the squad does and then decide on a load out that can deal with what they can't. So for FD my pick would be scatter laser or shuriken cannon.

Shuriken cannon is a good default pick for any mech eldar as it is cheap = more boides on table, and should be rushing up towards opponent so range is not a problem. Spirit stone are a must.

sorry lindargo, just trying to bring victory to our 4th ed codex in the land of 5th

Dave l

Lindargo
01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Ah that does make sense, thanks!
Perhaps ill do that,
Lindargo,

islyfe
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
The best configuration for wave serpent is TL-Bright Lance and underslung shuriken cannon, so both serpents should have this set up. I would definitely drop the Dire Avenger exarch big waste of points, your fragile troops should not be getting out their rides. With toughness 3 and armor 4 your just asking to get owned by anti-infantry weapons( heavy flamers/heavy bolters) which do jack to the WS armor 12.

mercer
01-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I use two units of fire dragons and both are in serpents, the serpents both have twin linked shuriken cannons and a chin mounted one too. Why? Well the dragons are excellent tank busters and more than likely will get the job done. So send them packing at a transport, pop it, and then have the serpent lay into the survivors with mass shuriken cannon fire - works a treat.

I also use a unit of striking scorpions, same concept as the fire dragons really but reverse roles. The scorpions serpent has a twin linked brightlance and chin shuriken cannon, pop the transport and send the scorpions at the survivors. This comes down to luck with the brightlances, though I have plenty of other serpents with brightlances.

My dire avengers have brightlances. These are mainly for tank busting and taking on monstrous creatures, though same tactic can apply with the scorpions, bust a transport and bail out the avengers and torrent them with shuriken catapult fire.

In case anyone in is wondering I take shuriken cannons because if the brightlance is destroyed then shuriken catapults do not threaten anything, shuriken cannon can be use still for taking out infantry and light armour.

Lindargo
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Ah right, thanks guys.

Requiemnex
01-15-2010, 09:29 AM
This is sort of a broad question but frankly I think it depends on the person playing and who you generally play against. If you play in a store with a lot of power armor it may help you to have a lot of anti tank.

I personally run a squad of bladestorming BA in a waveserpent with a Shriek Cannon and TL EML and then I run another with Shriek Cannon and TL Scatter Laser..

Str 6 can bust rhino if it has to but really its anti infentry

Str 8 More reliable against tanks but also able to fire as a defensive weapon so you can move far and then fire it after the fact.

The role I give my serpents is this.. If my guys roll up on a squad with a MC behind them or something that poses a threat.. I roll in take out the MC and then bladestorm into the unit.