PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone out there?

Another Random Geek
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I live in Kentucky, and there are several Epic players at my FGS, so I know there are quite a few Epic players out there. But for some odd reason, nobody sees fit to post in the Epic subforum. Even I gave up posting for a while, after I got no feedback regarding my campaign ideas. So, just to verify that Epic players outside of Kentucky and Australia do, in fact, exist, I'm asking everyone to list what armies they have, along with potential army lists, tactics, amusing Epic-related stories, etc. Also, any friendly advice you've got regarding someone else's list wouldn't be amiss either.

Basically, it's just a general Epic discussion thread meant to get everyone out of the woodwork. :p

Okay, here's the list I might take out for a spin Wednesday.

Space Marines (Blood Angels Chapter)

Assault Detachment 175 points

Devastator Detachment in Rhinos 250 points

Tactical Detachment in Rhinos w/ Supreme Commander, Hunter, Vindicator, Assualt Dreadnaught 600 points

Tactical Detachment w/ Librarian in Rhinos 350 points

Bike Squadron 200 points

Whirlwind Detachment 300 points

Terminator Detachment 325 points

Terminator Detachment 325 points

Land Raider Detachment w/ Vindicator 475 points

Strategy:

The Supreme Commander's detachment's job is basically to babysit an objective, while the Whirlwinds and Assault Marines guard my Blitz. The Terminators are there to take the opponent's Blitz, while the Bikes are last-minute objective claimers.

And these are my Orks, which I'll bring, assuming our friendly neighborhood pro-painter has them done by Wednesday. (He does a great job and only charges a dollar a stand!:cool:)
Orks (Bad Moonz Klan)

Gargant w/ Warlord 650 points

Warband w/ 4 additional Boyz/Grots Stands (x6) 1800 points

Stormboyz Warhorde w/ 5 Kommand Stands (x2) 550 points

Strategy: Is "WAAAAGH!" a strategy?

CrusherJoe
01-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Hmmmmmm. That's an interesting list there, at least on the SM side -- since I don't play Orks, I can't really comment on that one. I'm going to fire up AB here in a few and post the list that's not about 50-60% painted, and get some feedback.

Good idea for a post, BTW. This little sub-sub-forum needs some action like a man after 3 years in prison. :)

Another Random Geek
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I've posted my two cents on your list in it's respective thread. I'm curious, what do you find "interesting," and what would you have changed? Personally, I hate my Land Raider detachment, it's a point sink, but I really can't find any good alternatives for Marine armor.

Anyway, the basic plan for the Orks is to use the Stormboys to guard my Blitz, while the Gargant and the Boyz go on a killing spree. In theory, the Defend the Flag and They Shall Not Pass victory conditions are achievable if the Boyz win their assaults and the Gargant lays down enough blast marker.

CrusherJoe
01-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Well...if you've got the models...

...put a Dev and Assault detachment into a Thunderhawk and taste the joy of air assault. It's sweet, sweet honey of the killy kind. :)

If you really wanna go nuts, toss a Libby into that Dev detachments and enjoy a sweet Smite ranged attack with Dev firefight to support the Assault detachment. Nothing says lovin' like all that combined firepower adding sweet, sweet dice rolls to crank up you body count. :)

Hena
01-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi, I'm new in this forum but not to Epic :).

I would suggest of not having the Dreadnought in a formation which has Rhinos. It really wrecks the maneuver for the formation. In general Drop Pods or Thawk is most useful way to deploy a Dreadnought. Occasional they could work in Garrison, but Marines rarely do it anyway outside of Speeders / Scouts.

----

For Thunderhawk loads, I prefer following: Terminators or Devastators with 2 Dreadnoughts. I think those both work wonders.

CrusherJoe
01-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi, I'm new in this forum but not to Epic :).

[...]

For Thunderhawk loads, I prefer following: Terminators or Devastators with 2 Dreadnoughts. I think those both work wonders.

Now there's an idea. That way I could actually use those dreads I have. Hmm, let me think...2 units of terminators charging out of a Thunderhawk...ouch. Yeah, I can see where that really mess up your opponent's day right there.

Which variant of dread do you run with the Devs? Do you go all shooty with that load out or give the dreads DCCW/AC so they can assault while the Devs FF?

The only "downside" (and it's not really a downside) is not using teleport with the termies. Since I'm pretty sure you're at least partially paying for that ability in the (high) cost of the terminator detachment it seems a bit of a shame to not use it (though I suppose it is balanced out by taking away the risk of teleporting and replacing it with the reliability of the Thunderhawk Death Express).

Another Random Geek
01-17-2010, 12:00 PM
http://agentwill.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/its-alive.jpg

Hooray!

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to ditch the LRs and the dread for more Terminators. I luuuuuuuv Terminators.

Hena
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Which variant of dread do you run with the Devs? Do you go all shooty with that load out or give the dreads DCCW/AC so they can assault while the Devs FF?
I tend to go with one each. I have a friend who uses two Assault. I often try to clip with that load and that means that I don't get close. So potential to use the firepower next turn in shooting is advantage which I tend to want.

The only "downside" (and it's not really a downside) is not using teleport with the termies. Since I'm pretty sure you're at least partially paying for that ability in the (high) cost of the terminator detachment it seems a bit of a shame to not use it (though I suppose it is balanced out by taking away the risk of teleporting and replacing it with the reliability of the Thunderhawk Death Express).
There is two things going here. Teleport is usually alpha strike method. You need to have the target in place at the beginning of the turn. Thunderhawk allows me to react more to my enemy as it happens during the turn.

Another Random Geek
01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
From my experience, you always know where your Terminators are going to go, right to the enemy's Blitz or BTS, (whichever's less defended.) I don't really see why the T-hawks are necessary for them.

Hena
01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Not automatically. I often use them to hit a preferred target (like break enemy lines or BTS). Also the difference is that I can do it at any point in turn rather at the start of it like with teleport. On the whole I've found it useful.

CrusherJoe
02-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Well, nuts. Now I have to re-think my terminator deployment options...and paint up that second Thunderhawk. Looks like it may be list revision time...or maybe even new list altogether time.

Hena
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
You can see my Marine list in action in a Marines vs Tyranids (http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums/index.cgi?act=ST;f=84;t=15760) report.

Fabricator General
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm in Charlottesville, VA.

All my armies were built up in the Space Marine days and consist of Blood Angels, Chaos, Imperial Guard, and Eldar. Recently I've been working on my Orks and Squats.