PDA

View Full Version : Is it heresy to kit my sentinel squadron with different 48" range weapons

completeHook
05-10-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm putting together a scout sentinel squadron and I've been thinking what are they for.

Conventional wisdom says you should give units with the same armament, but the whole point of the sentinel squadron is to outflank and distract my opponent from my castle (I'm that type of guard player, a million grunts with lots of heavy weapons hiding behind an ADL protecting the armour) and get behind their lines and be a nuisance.

What I'm thinking is if I were to arm one with a missile launcher, one with an autocannon and one with a lascannon. They all have a 48" range, all dangerous to light vehicles, between them easily being able to take a chunk out of a MEQ unit in open, conceivably enough to force a leadership check if the dice gods are smiling on me.

This set up would allow the sentinels to be a threat to both heavy infantry and heavy armour, not an enormous threat, but enough of one to take the heat off the stuff I'm actually relying on to thin out their force enough to win the game.

Assuming they survive walking onto the board, that combination seems to offer more of a tool kit. For instance I always run a vet squad with three meltas and a lascannon in support of my company Command Squad; their job is to protect my warlord but having an accurate lascannon with a rerolls on the orders gives them something to do while waiting two turns for It (It being a Flyrant or Farsight Enclave asshats [by far and away my favourite American pejorative, arsehats just doesn't have the same ring to it] or some ridiculous Eldar trickery). This is my point, in any given game this squadron will come on from reserve and have to do something, but what they have to do will not be fixed.

For the price of this squad with upgrades I could field an extra Leman Russ, but it brings flexibility. I'm not limited by available parts or any of that (I have tried magnetising the weapons but it's not going to work, I'll just have some sentinels with no weapons in six months, besides which my club is generally cool about proxying things) it more about how this squad should work.

That in mind:

Would two missile launchers and a Lacannon be better?

Autocannons all round, or ML, if so - why?

Walk them on naked and find room for my Avenger Strike Fighter, the 150pt marine buster made of broken dreams and held together with fairy spit?

I throw this open to the community, bearing in mind I already own 3 very sexy half built Elysian Drop sentinels and have no interest in allying with any other force. The AM is a proper army people.

Rock.

Tyrendian
05-10-2014, 06:04 PM
averages say you'll kill around one whole marine IF they're not in cover - so not much of a threat there... against light vehicles it's a bit better but still nothing to write home about...
and the distractive value of something that will just get picked off by most any small arms fire that doesn't come from Guardsmen, let alone anything that has a krak grenade or equivalent and looks at you funny in melee, is questionable at best I'd say...
Sorry to be this negative but I've never really seen Sents do anything worthwhile (except once tying up a decently valuable squad for a while iirc), and a friend of mine insists on trying to make them work so they've had plenty of outings...

completeHook
05-10-2014, 06:50 PM
The club at my FLGS isn't a bearpit, most the regulars (me included, my rough riders are a standing joke) don't bring silly armies. There's sort of a gentleman's agreement, keep it interesting.

But this is it, part of keeping it interesting is presenting a challenge and this is what I'm interested in getting some thoughts on.

If you where going to run a squadron of three sentinels what do you think would be the best way?

Katharon
05-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Three armored sentinels with camo netting, missile launchers, and if you've got the points to spare for each -- a smoke launcher and/or a Hunter-Killer Missile.

That has been my standard armored Sentinel load-out for four years and it's never failed me. If you're going to use regular sentinels, then just give them camo nets and remain with the multi-laser. (Or use forgeworld IA rules and give them multi-meltas.)

DETHMOKIL
05-11-2014, 02:41 AM
My sentinels have multilasers and hunter killer missiles. With their crumby BS, 3 shots really help when shooting infantry and when hitting side or rear armor, 6 Str will still do some real damage. With the hunter killers they are only 5 points more then a sentinel with a missile launcher but the critical turn they arrive they have a much heaver weight of fire.

Tyrendian
05-11-2014, 03:30 AM
multi-meltas do sound quite appealing - haven't seen those in action... that or go with weight of fire as has been suggested.
Another idea might just be Heavy Flamers to force your opponent to bunch his infantry in the middle just by virtue of their existence, thus giving your artillery and easier target... two Sents might be enough for that though...

This Dave
05-11-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm not much of a fan of giving Sentinels Lascannons. They're expensive and only hit half the time while being on a rather fragile platform. It also makes them look dangerous. So while they might get a good hit in they will work better as a distraction for the turn your opponent takes to kill them.

Sentinels with Multilasers and HK Missiles are a good outflanking force. The Multilasers actually has the same chance to kill a Marine as a Lascannon on a Sentinel does and could potentially kill three things as well as being able to kill light to medium vehicles from the side. The HK missiles can be volley fired on the turn they come on to help cause mayhem and maybe kill a heavier vehicle and are fairly cheap as well. Sitting them in cover with Camo Netting makes them more survivable as well, so they might last a turn or two of your opponent trying to rage kill them. Also, three Multilasers can work as a secondary air defence simply from the volume of fire.

Autocannons and Missile Launchers aren't bad options for upgrades either. They have long range and high strength so they can damage or destroy heavier vehicles. Autocannons have the volume of fire and Missile Launchers have the Frag shots to help with hitting with BS of 3.

Heavy Flamers and Multi Meltas are usually only good on suicide units. HFs have to get very close to use their weapons so will be bum rushed by anything that survives or blasted before they get close. MMs also have to get close to make their weapons any better than a Krak missile and once again have the single shot unreliability of BS 3.

Mr Mystery
05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
For my money, I see no issue in having a variety of weapons in a squadron.

But, I do agree Lascannons are possibly unrequired. Pour quoi? Sentinels are easily manouverable enough to be hitting side armour most of the time. With that in mind, a single S9 shot just isn't massively required. Missile Launcher is competent enough, and can also threaten infantry. Ditto autocannons on a lot of Side Armour values.

Tyrendian
05-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Heavy Flamers and Multi Meltas are usually only good on suicide units. HFs have to get very close to use their weapons so will be bum rushed by anything that survives or blasted before they get close. MMs also have to get close to make their weapons any better than a Krak missile and once again have the single shot unreliability of BS 3.

well a MM does have three times the chance to make a penned target go kaboom on a pen... but I do agree one shouldn't rely on those kinds of Sents actually killing stuff - the area denial they bring against either infantry or vehicles just from the threat of them outflanking right on top of you is something to consider though...

completeHook
05-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, you have been a great help.

Lots to think about here, if all goes to plan they will be making their debut this Tuesday.

Cheers

completeHook

pnelson101
05-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Gotta say multi-lasers or autocannons, maybe with HK missiles if you have the points. Single shot ML or Lascannons are just too unreliable at BS3. Possibly plasma if you have lots of AP2 to deal with, as the blast at least gives you a chance to scatter somewhere happy even if you miss.

Cadian122
05-18-2014, 10:43 PM
I tend to take 2-3 scout sentintels with Lascannons. I find that when I use that tactic, they're really good at knocking out an artillery piece, like a manticore or deathstrike before it can do too much damage. I tend to run out of fast attack slots, but I have fielded 9 scout sentinels before (3x Heavy Flamers, 3x Autocannons, 3x Lascannons), and they've done really well, but I tend to plump for the Lascannons, as I find they *just* do enough each game to justify taking them again.