PDA

View Full Version : poisoned weapons?

foostoofoo
08-03-2009, 08:07 AM
I know that poisoned weapons always wound on a certain amount (majority of the time its 4+) but can it be lower than that. For example typhus's man reaper would wound a carnifex on a 4+, but say he was fighting a gaunt squad would he also wound them on a 4+ or could he wound them on a 2+ because he is strength 5. It would just seem that the plaguebearer typhus would not wound a mere gaunt on a 4+!

Abominable Plague Marine
08-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Well besides Typhus only being Stg 4, with poisoned weapons, you only ever use its profile (ie: 4+), and don't forget you get to re-roll it!

2dØpe
08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
as far as i was aware poisoned weapons only made it easier to wound bigger things whilst your strength still counted for wounding lesser creatures.

so 4+ on a Carnifex, but on a DE warrior it'd be 3+ because of the ST/T difference.

Cant find me rulebook to pilfer the text but that's how i understood it.

steeddy
08-03-2009, 08:57 AM
You always use the weapons profile regardless of strenhth/toughness, but you get re-rolls to wound if your strength is equal or higher than the victims toughness.

Dingareth
08-03-2009, 08:59 AM
as far as i was aware poisoned weapons only made it easier to wound bigger things whilst your strength still counted for wounding lesser creatures.

so 4+ on a Carnifex, but on a DE warrior it'd be 3+ because of the ST/T difference.

Cant find me rulebook to pilfer the text but that's how i understood it.

Unfortunately not, for Typhus it would always be a 4+ to wound, be against said Warrior he would get a re-roll to would, effectively giving a 75% chance to wound, as opposed to a 66% chance. You're actually better off with the re-roll.

Zombie Savant
08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Yes, the only bonus you can get here is the re-roll where your str is equal too or higher than their toughness.

As previously mentioned, that translates to a 75% chance to wound something of equal or lower toughness, which is somewhere between a 3+ and a 2+ in terms of effectiveness. Not too shabby!

Old_Paladin
08-03-2009, 01:31 PM
But don't forget that if models have many different pieces of equipment, you can choose which ones to use. If you were a Nurgle Daemon Prince, with a CCW and a manreaper fighting an IG heroic character. You could fight with the poison weapon, or the ccw with no special rules (for the strength 6 for the auto-out). [unless there is some rule about being forced to use deamon weapons, if you take them].

Dingareth
08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
But don't forget that if models have many different pieces of equipment, you can choose which ones to use. If you were a Nurgle Daemon Prince, with a CCW and a manreaper fighting an IG heroic character. You could fight with the poison weapon, or the ccw with no special rules (for the strength 6 for the auto-out). [unless there is some rule about being forced to use deamon weapons, if you take them].

Ironically a Demon Prince cannot take a Demon Weapon, so it's not a problem. And yes, it is a special CCW, so you would have to attack with it anyways.

Lucky Moniker
08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
the rules simply state that you ALWAYS wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) and if you would normally wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) then you may re roll it.
i.e. chaos lord w/ a nurgle daemon weapon, wounds on a 4+ no matter what hes fighting, but if its T4 or less he gets to re-roll the To Wound roll.
or
Daemon Nurgle daemon prince w/ noxious touch (poisoned on a 2+) he would need to wound on a 2+ normally in order to get a re roll

unwieldysquig
08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
the rules simply state that you ALWAYS wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) and if you would normally wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) then you may re roll it.
i.e. chaos lord w/ a nurgle daemon weapon, wounds on a 4+ no matter what hes fighting, but if its T4 or less he gets to re-roll the To Wound roll.
or
Daemon Nurgle daemon prince w/ noxious touch (poisoned on a 2+) he would need to wound on a 2+ normally in order to get a re roll

Actually that's not correct. On p42 the MRB says "if the Strength of the wielder is the same or higher than the Toughness of the victim, the wielder must re-roll failed rolls to wound."

entendre_entendre
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
if your strength is higher than the opponent's toughness, u wound normally w/ a re-roll
so vs. a gaunt would be 3+ w/ a re-roll if it fails, this is why poison weapons are good vs. anything w/ a toughness value

2dØpe
08-03-2009, 03:29 PM
ahhhh, Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, think i need to re-read the rulebook!

StrikerFox
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
if your strength is higher than the opponent's toughness, u wound normally w/ a re-roll
so vs. a gaunt would be 3+ w/ a re-roll if it fails, this is why poison weapons are good vs. anything w/ a toughness value

unfortunately, it would wound on whatever it says it wounds on. if it a poisoned weapon which wounds on a 4+ and you have str 4 and victim units t4, and you roll a 1, 2, or 3.. then you get to reroll..

if the toughness is 3, you still only wound on a 4+, re rolling 1,2, or 3. doesnt matter if you have a higher str, or not, you wound on the profile of the weapon.

"poisoned weapons" pg 42 MRB

Exlorn
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
The function of poisoned weapons is always 4+ (or whatever) unless you get to reroll as already stated.

What follows below is how my group plays, I am at work and cannot cite rulebook pages. Normally you would not choose to do this anyway.

You could decide to not use a weapon at all and fight with your bare hands. You would of course not get any off hand bonus, just the attacks on your profile. For instance my Blood Angel space marine tac squads. They come with a boltgun and boltpistol, neither of which can be used in close combat (pistol only gives offhand, doesn't do anything by itself) but they still get their 1 attack on profile. As I said you wouldn't normally want to do this because rerolling a 4+ is better than a 3+. But if your character had strength 4 and fought something with toughness 2 he would need 2+ to wound, and thats better than rerolling 4+. You would still need to take into account any lost attacks, but I think in the typhus example his weapon is 2 handed anyway.

StrikerFox
08-04-2009, 04:10 AM
The function of poisoned weapons is always 4+ (or whatever) unless you get to reroll as already stated.

What follows below is how my group plays, I am at work and cannot cite rulebook pages. Normally you would not choose to do this anyway.

You could decide to not use a weapon at all and fight with your bare hands. You would of course not get any off hand bonus, just the attacks on your profile. For instance my Blood Angel space marine tac squads. They come with a boltgun and boltpistol, neither of which can be used in close combat (pistol only gives offhand, doesn't do anything by itself) but they still get their 1 attack on profile. As I said you wouldn't normally want to do this because rerolling a 4+ is better than a 3+. But if your character had strength 4 and fought something with toughness 2 he would need 2+ to wound, and thats better than rerolling 4+. You would still need to take into account any lost attacks, but I think in the typhus example his weapon is 2 handed anyway.

actually, you dont get to choose to use your bare hands anymore (or a rock, or purple *****, or whatever)..
if you have a special close combat weapon, you have to use that. if you had two special CCW, then you could choose.. example is a power fist and power weapon. you could then choose to use either the power fist and go last, or the power weapon and strike at initiative..

but yeah, normally, you wouldnt even choose to do it anyway.. XD

Abominable Plague Marine
08-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Whoops, completely forgot about your S having to be equal or higher than your opponents T to get the re-roll. Still worth it I reckon (though hope I havent been using it against higher T opponents).