PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Cities of Death army

Kramanal
01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi
I have a small problem.
I am facing a battle between space marines and Iron Warriors.
I am taking Iron Warriors, we will be fighting the siege of Terra.
My Iron Warriors will be using standard C:SM as they have not yet been corrupted by the Warp.
I have never played cities of death or used city fight rules.
I am hoping for some help with my list.
I am using a Master of the Armoury (gives Dreadnoughts as elite choice) 250pts
A large Devestator squad 365pts
3 Grav Tanks 270pts
3 Dreadnoughts (elite) 360pts
3 Dreadnoughts (HS) 360pts
2 10 man and 1 5 man scout squads 385pts
Strategem Combat engineer, Wrecker, ?.
What do you think of my list?
Any use?
Anybody with experience of this sort of battle please feel free to tear it apart.
I feel it is outside my usual box.
I had originally looked to go Grav tanks,Land Speeders, Jetbikes, 3 Vindicators with a Tank captain and fill the rest of the points with scout squads or tactical squads.
I read somewhere that walkers are great in cities so above list.

Unholy_Martyr
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
In my experience there is one type of unit that does not excel in City Fighting/ Cities of Death: Anything with Jets attached to it. The fact of the matter is, if you're fighting in a concentrated are with large amounts of terrain, all the bonuses that Speeders and Jump Pack troopers get are nullified, you just don't have the room to move, most terrain is difficult/dangerous and anything and everything is in range to touch you. With this said, I would take those unites out.

Next up: Large Devastator Squad. WASTE OF POINTS! As stated above you're going to be in tight confined spaces, the range most of these weapons afford will not be of any benefit; in addition, True LOS makes all of those amazing hgih Strength weapons and low AP seem insignificant. Let them go.

6 Dreanoughts: Okay...this has some potential; however, if they're rolling out with just Assault Cannons and Storm Bolters you're going to be picking up alot of dead Dread's. A must with every Dreadnought, especially in this position, would be a Heavy Flamer upgrade. The Assault Cannon is viable as you get target saturation up close which is always good. Something worth mentioning, you have access to Iron Clad Dreadnoughts, make use of these behemoths. They are excellent up close and personal, equally capable of popping tanks and shreddiing Infantry, and with a stat line of 13 13 10 for AV, they are a no brainer in this kind of fight.

Now for your tactical squads, I have 3 words for you: You need more. More is better with these folks, even with the free weapon upgrades they are deadly, pair them with a Razorback or Rhino and they are even more so. Take this into consideration.

Finally, what do you intend on these units being equipped with, what's your strategy?

That's all I have to offer, hope it helps.

Kramanal
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Unholy Martyr
Thanks for your input.
I had thought that jet/antigrav would be good in city due to ignoring terrain restrictions.
I'm glad you put me straight.
I chose a large squad of Devvies as the campeign rules gives me a sgt who has the amunition store strategem for free,has a servo arm,gives unit Stubborn, increases Aegis defences by +1, carries a special missile launcher, frag as normal but Krak str8 AP1 and allows 4 other members of his squad to carry the same ML. I increased the size of the unit to give me some wounds. I just can't resist a sqd of devvies, +2 cover save, 5 str 8 AP1 missiles per move + reroll misses!
The Master of the Armoury has a full servo harness,thunder hammer and conversion beamer. He also has Orbital bombaardment and bolster defences. I am taking him for the sheer devestation he is going to do at long range, if he sees something he uses the conversion beamer, if not orbital bombardment!
The grav tanks are 12 12 10 fast skimmer, lascannon turret, havoc launcher, pintle plasma gun for total 105pts! I am listning to your comments on jets, but they seem so cheap. I still have these penciled as "maybe".
Dreads, I was wrong about the number, i forgot the devvies take up a HS slot, so I only get 5!, 3 Elite and 2 heavy support.
My problem with Ironclads is that I only have 1, all my other dreads are ordinary.
I was originally thginking of pairing them, anti armor dred TLLC+ML+Havoc launcher and anti personell dred assault cannon,Dccw and heavy flamer with my Ironclad on his own.
I wasn't going to have any tactical marines as I was going to use the rest of my points on scouts.
As I said I have never played this type of battle before and I thought I would have the scouts infiltrated and hidden as near as possible to oponents objective, put my MotA and objective marker in a position with as good long views as possible,same with the devvies but in behind Aegis, have the grav tanks zoom about adding their firepower where possible, and use the dread pairs to stalk enemy units in the ruins. The Iron Clad will head for the opponents objective, hopefully reducing any units defending it enough for my scouts to capture it on last move.
Not very clever or tactically interesting but I hope it works.
If you see any holes please enlighten me.
Thanks

Unholy_Martyr
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Well Kramanal, you've schooled me quite a bit on what you were planning and how you were going to play.

1) The grav tanks are fancy and all (basically they're Falcons, but marginally cooler), and I can see why you'd want to roll with them. I had forgotten that they have those special rules so I would change that "maybe" to something a little more definite. Who wouldn't turn down a Falon that's 105pts?

2) I see where you're coming from on the Devastators. At 200 points you have plenty of points to toss around on awesome units, just don't get carried away. (That unit is almost 1/6 of your total points cost >.<)

3) With the Dreadnought situation, you know your opponent better than I do so you're placing of the Lascannons and Missile Lanchers may be well founded; although, in a city fight you'll want your Dreadnought to still be killy to Infantry, I would try and keep the DCCW with Heavy Flamer as much as possible. The Ironclad issue I understand, you can make due with what you have.

4) With the Scouts issue, I would be careful overloading with the guys. To be perfectly honest, they're the equivalent to Veteran Guardsmen with fewer options. Granted their Camo Cloaks can afford 3+ and 2+ cover saves, Heavy Flamers or Flamers in General will walk through you.

I think your plan can work as long as you stick to it and maintain tactical flexibility, best of luck.

Kramanal
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks
I suppose I'd better invest in a copy of the special rule books!
I'll try to get them on Ebay.
Campeign weekend is a Tempus Fugatives event in May at Warhammer World.
I will put up my results.
I am playing Iron Warriors probably facing Imperial Fists.
We will be playing
1000pt Comand & Control doubles
2000pt Cities of Death
2000pt Cities of Death doubles
3000pt Heavy Assault
3000pt Heavy Assault doubles
over the weekend.
I was happy with my 1000pt & 3000pt forces but knew nothing about Cities of Death.
Now I have 3 months to finish painting my army.