PDA

View Full Version : CSM fluff: Combining CSM with the Cthulhu Mythos

Aristocrap
01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I just had an idea for a unique CSM army. What if I based their motives and rules on factors/deities/etc. on Lovecraft's writing? For example, they could be followers of Cthulhu, Yog-Soloth, Azathoth, or some other Great Old One. Maybe they could worship them all like a panthenon? I could tie in the Great Old Ones and the Outer Gods into the Chaos story; maybe they had conflicts with the four Chaos gods and were banished to different realms of the galaxy, like the Elder Gods did with the Old Ones? What do you guys think?

Aldramelech
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Goodbye

Just_Me
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Interesting idea, it certainly fits into the feel of Chaos, but in some ways it is actually redundant. The Chaos pantheon is in many ways already the Outer Gods; Azathoth = Tzeetch magic and change, Nurgle = Yog-Sothoth death and corruption, Shub-Niggurath = Slaanesh lust and "fertility." Granted they are not identical, but the GW designers made no bones about the fact that the Chaos lore was inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos. I would be interested to see the idea fleshed out though, keep us apprised if you decide to go forward.

Lerra
01-11-2010, 12:31 PM
It works great when done well. There are some great Cthulu minis out there for conversions, too.

Extinction Angel
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Hmm, for all my love of Lovecraft I never thought to combine it with 40k...shame on me. I'm a big fan of Ithaqua myself. If you come up with some icons/images to get made into transfers let me know, I'd be very interested.

Sneezypanda
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Already been though of ;) except with necrons. Although its really just a deceiver count as, here's the link:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php/topic,89194.0.html

Aristocrap
01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
That's pretty neat. My CSM army list consists of a few Noise Marine squads and Lash Sorcs, so I could find a way to tie in their equipment/effects with the Cthulhu Mythos. Perhaps the sonic weaponry emits sounds of catastrophe and pure chaos, the target filled with madness untill it can't sustain itself anymore and deceases. The Lashes could be some kind of power that drives the targets with terror, scattering and controlling them out of fear.
I'm wondering if the 8-pointed star could still be used. I wouldn't be too sure if followers of Cthulhu would use it, or if it'd be present in the Mythos.

Commissar Lewis
01-26-2010, 05:37 AM
I like it, I'm a fan of Lovecraft's works myself.

Though I do plan on making a Cthulhu mini one day - feeder tendrils from tyranids, balrog wings, sometime of large dragon, etc.

Would be awesome.

Shadow Queen
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Go with the Shadows. Evolution through war.