PDA

View Full Version : 1000 pts. IG vs. Ultramarines

Necrontyr
01-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Hey guys, it's Necrontyr. Thanks to the help of several guys on this site, I've been able to fine tune my IG tactics. Yesterday, I fought a battle against the Ultramarines. Here's a rough layout of the lists:

IG Steel Legion/Death Korps:

Company Command Squad w/ Reg. Stand., Master of Ordinance, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon.

Veterans w/ Shotguns, Plasma Gun, Melta Gun, Grenade Launcher, Grenadiers

Inf. Platoon, 1 Platoon Leader w/ Commissar, 2 Squads w/ Commissar, Autocannon, Grenade Launch.

1 Leman Russ w/ Storm Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Lascannon

1 Medusa

Ultramarines:

Chaplain Cassius

3 Tactical Squads w/ Missile Launchers

1 Assault Marine Squad w/ 2 Flamers

1 Vindicator

Okay guys, here's how it played out. Mission was annihilation, so we were just going for kill points, no objectives. Field was mostly open with a few rocky outcroppings and a centerpiece that was kind of an industrial storage tank, no real cover but it was difficult terrain. Ultramarines got first turn. Also, I'm leaving out boring parts like "IG squad fires, marines make their saves, etc."

1st Turn
Assault Marines moved up from Deployment zone, along with Chaplain Cassius and the tactical squad he was in. Two other tactical squads stayed put on flanks and fired missiles at Leman Russ (no effect.) Vindicator moved up towards my Medusa, not in range to fire yet.

My Veterans ran towards the centerpiece and took cover behind the storage tanks. My command squad used the Master of Ordinance to bombard the assault marines and chaplain squad. They took about 4 dead, 1 assault and 3 tactical. My Medusa fired at the vindicator and got weapon destroyed, against the demolisher (of course.) Leman russ fired at assault marines and took out 3. One of my inf squads fired at the assault marines and took out 2. That leaves 4 assault marines alive.

2nd Turn
vindicator keeps moving forward, uses storm bolters on my veterans (one dead.) Tactical squad on my left fires at Medusa, no effect. Tactical squad on my right fires at Russ, no effect. Assault marines move toward my center inf. squad, get within assault range. Cassius and his tac marines move up the center towards my Russ. Assault: My inf. squad wiped out by assault marines, commissar kills one marine. Whole inf. squad killed. Assault marines consolidate within assault range of my company command squad.

My Medusa fires on the leftmost tactical squad, takes out 4 marines. Leman russ fires at Cassius squad, takes out 3 marines. 4 tactical marines and cassius left. My veterans fire at the assault marines, kill all but the sergeant. My command squad assault the last assault marines, two guardsmen lost, no more assault marine.

3rd Turn
Leftmost tactical squad fires at medusa, no effect. Gunless vindicator rams front of Medusa, no effect. Rightmost tactical squad fires missle at Russ, no effect. Cassius squad keeps moving toward russ, they'll be in assault range next turn.

Medusa fires at rightmost tactical squad, just one marine survives. Veterans move towards cassius right flank. Leman russ fires at cassius squad, only cassius left and he has only one wound left.

4th turn
Gunless vindicator tank shocks command squad. Meltagunner does death or glory, gets run over. Cassius assaults Leman russ with Meltabombs, crew shaken.

Leman russ tank shocks cassius, he does death or glory with meltabombs, cassius gets squashed flat by Leman russ. My opponent calls the game at this point. EPIC VICTORY FOR THE STEEL LEGION/DEATH KORPS!!!!

Any thoughts guys? Also, thanks for all the good tactical advice, it helped on this battle. I will continue to peruse these forums to stay up to date.