PDA

View Full Version : Why - Land speeder question

Hades Alpha
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Why do people use land speeders?

They usually pack quite a punch and are extremely vulnerable. So it results in the equation:

Dangerous + Fragile = Dedicated fire magnet

They often die in the first turns, doing almost nothing. So why do people keep using them? Is there something I missing? What do you think?

Chumbalaya
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
They're cheap, they're fast, and they mount flexible weaponry. If bad guys are shooting single Speeders, that's less fire going to your other vehicles. If they ignore them, they get a MM or HF in their face.

If you feel the Speeders won't last past turn 1, hold them in reserve and come on later.

Slann
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I feel the best way to use a land speeder is to hold in in reserve and deep strike , get your army in place and when these come in they will be in position to blow a tank or heavy flame infantry . They are also good to hide and swoop in the last turn to contest objectives .

Miami
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Against enemies such as orks, you know you'll be facing few units that have long range weaponry that could take down land speeders easily. Deploy them and watch your opponent waste shooting a unit of Lootas at your one land speeder instead of something more important.

The main overall reason is that they are cheap. Typhoons especially can cause serious damage to horde armies, and having cheap, fast multimeltas that can deepstrike in are also very helpful.

Gotthammer
08-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I find a Typhoon in the back lines can put out a decent spread of fire, but is usually overlooked as a minor threat. Similarly holding a flamer equipped unit in the rear as a counterattack has worked for me.

A HUGE BLUNT
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
take 9 in a game (HF/MM loadout) and then ask why people like land speeders

Psyberwolfe
08-03-2009, 04:53 PM
The primary reason to take a Land Speeder is for late game fire support. The LS is not a main battle line choice. Think about them like helicopters, and you will start to see them come into their own. Typically I hide them behind terrain, and have them pop out to grab or contest objectives. FYI only Dark Angel LS can grab objectives.

asugradinwa
08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Deep striking them later in the game can help how effective they are. On turn 2 I have a 50% chance they are comming in.

The other way to run land speeders is with the missile launcher & heavy bolter. They shoot out a ton of dakka at 36 inches with that configuration.

Hades Alpha
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Well, I see most of you like them :confused:

I’m still not convinced. Yes having them comes in later in the game helps. But, apart from taking/contesting objectives, all this great firepower is kinda wasted if kept in reserve. Furthermore, if you deep strike them in the heat of battle, the will probably die next turn if your opponent concentrated is force on the board (to retaliate against deep striking army).

As for the Typhoon pattern, yes they are great but expensive, in my opinion. Against mobile army they will get destroyed easily.

@ A HUGE BLUNT: Yes you’re right; having 9 of does bring the pain. Putting them in large squadron really help them. Though 9 is a bit excessive ;)

Anyway, like I said, I’m still not convinced... but I’m not far from it :D. You guys had good comments.

Kloud
08-03-2009, 08:37 PM
The new Marine Codex allows you to have 2 hvy. Bolters on 1 Land Speeder. I have 2 modeled so far, and I really shuold get the 3rd finished. (I ripped the Assault Cannons off. 30pts was just too much.) But a Squadron of 3 with 2 hvy bolters each, is only 180 pts. The squadron can move 12" and dish out 9 Strength 5 shots, or move 6" and dish out 18 Strength 5 shots. And with the 36" range of the bolters, there is no need to get within 24" of enemy bolter fire.