PDA

View Full Version : IG noob plans 1500 pts

wolflold
01-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Im gonna play IG and im still a noob when it coms to IG :S. So far i made this list! I took a lot of Valkyrie Gunships because i think its the coolest model yet (and i saw Band of Brothers), Leman Russ Exterminator im not shure of, he costs a lot of points but can take out light armour and well armoured troops. Well let me know what you (especialy IG veterans) think.

HQ
Command Squad - 2x plasmagun, missile launcher, Officer of the Fleet - 125
Chimera - Heavy flamer, multi-laser - 55

TROOPS
Platoon Squad - 4x Flamer - 50
Chimera - Heavy flamer, multi-laser - 55
Infantry squad 1 - Missile laucher, grenade launcher - 70
Infantry squad 2 - Missile laucher, grenade launcher - 70
Infantry squad 3 - Missile laucher, grenade launcher - 70
Support squad - 3x Lascannon - 105

Veteran squad - 2x flamer, heavy flamer - 100
(ride in valkyrie)

Veteran squad - 3x meltagun - 100
(ride in vendetta)

Veteran squad - 3x meltagun - 100
(ride in vendetta)

FAST ATTACK
Vendetta Gunship - 3x twin-lascannon - 130

Vendetta Gunship - 3x twin-lascannon - 130

Valkyrie Gunship - Multiple rocketpods, multi-laser - 130

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ Executioner - Heavy plasma cannon, heavy bolter, side heavy bolters - 210

TOTAL - 1500

Lord Azaghul
01-13-2010, 07:24 AM
It’s a pretty standardish guard list, good to see you take a platoon though! I would actually suggest Mr Astropath over the Officer of the field (assuming you out flank with valks).
You might be able to fire a few points for a hyra or the like, or just upgrade the executioner to have plasma sponsons: Drop the Missle launchers for autocannons. I’m not really a fan of the heavy flamer on the vet squad. The other major thing your list is lacking is any sort of artillary. At 1500 points it may actually be work droping one vedetta for a medusa or basilisk.

Chumbalaya
01-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I'd take an Astro and Fleet Officer. The former is handy for outflanking or putting your army in reserve while the latter is great at screwing with reserve armies, new bugs in particular.

Autocannons > Missile Launchers in every way. For 5 points less you get an extra shot. The loss in S isn't a big deal since they hunt light armor anyway, and with 2 shots apiece they can force saves like a frag template. A much more flexible weapon.

Don't run HWS unless you have lots (3+). They're just too fragile on their own. Generally, if you want foot lascannons, put them in infantry units with voxes so you can benefit from BiD. Since you've got Vendettas, don't bother. I would also look into a commissar in 1 infantry squad. This gives you the option of mobbing up your infantry and creating a big unit of 30 stubborn men to cap an objective and tie down assaulters.

Give your PCS and CCS meltas and ride in Chimeras, it never hurts to have extra firepower at midfield. With BiD, that PCS ends up better than BS4.

Give your Valk unit meltas and demolitions. You can alpha strike with them turn 1, scout move 24", jump the men out and charge any static tanks inflicting automatic hits with their melta bombs!

Exterminators are ok, but Hydras are better. Cheaper, more accurate, more shots.

At present your army is kinda lacking against infantry, so I'd look into artillery (Griffon or Medusa) or an Eradicator russ to go after hordes.

Unholy_Martyr
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree with the Astropath and Officer of the Fleet combination, with the upcoming threat from Tyranids added in with the fact that everyone in their mother is running a Mechanized army, you want the best results from your Outflanking and Reserve rolls and just the opposite for your opponents.

On the Missile Launcher front, I'm rather hesitant to agree readily with Chumbalaya as these bad boys are back to Instakilling Warriors. I would really weigh out the choices on whether or not to switch to Autocannons based on what armies you play and other factors.

Addressing the Heavy Weapons Squads, more is always better, with the gunship platforms you are running, I don't think it will be necessary to have 3 Lascannons in support. As Chumbalaya said before, you could put them into squads effectively creating a buffer against the whole team being wiped out. I tend to break down into groups like this: 2 Infantry squads with one Vox Caster between them and two heavy weapons, this allows Bring it Down and First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire! to be used most effectively (2 Twin Linked weapons are better than 1).

With the Command Squad, I would really hesitate to give them a Heavy Weapon, I would stick with pure Plasma for Infantry destruction or Melta for down home Armor murder.

Veterans EXCEL at shooting, granted 2 Flamers and a Heavy Flamer are a guaranteed win against hordes, I would recommend going with either Meltas or Plasmas to maximize their lethality. They could be just as effective as an Alpha Strike or a surprise for your opponent with either combination.

For your Leman Russ, I would go for the Plasma Sponsons over the Heavy Bolters, also changing the Hull Mounted Weapon to a Heavy Flamer. This model would be the bane of any Army's existence. 5 Plasma Cannons raining down and if someone wants to get up close and personal, a Heavy Flamer to toast some footies.

The only concern that readily appears is the Russ is going to stand out at with a big SHOOT ME sticker on it. I would see about adding a little more armor or some other way to increase its survivability. As your list stands, I think it will fair pretty decently against many opponents, it will just need some tweaks depending on the local game play and if you want tournament.

SlavesToDarkness
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I like it. A strong list.

Here is what you might want to toy with adding:

1) A standard Leman russ for Tyranid Warrior splatting battlecannon blasts.

2) Demolitions on Veterans.

3) Melta weapons on veterans.

4) Artillery. Particularly a Manticore. Or, hell, 2 x Griffon (squadron). Those things are lethal against hordes.

5) Plasma Cannons on Executioner. I run Plasma Cannon Sponsons and a hull heavy flamer. The thing is murder and terrifies enemies trying to get close (plus, being immune to gaunt charges rules).

But you are tight on points and I think this list willl work just fine. I would just play this one that you have about 100 times then look into the suggestions above if you find yourself lackin in some area.