PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Guard idea. Is it crappy? Probly.

johnnyfoodmaster
01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Hey all!
I've got an IG idea as my next army. I don't think it's that good but I want to field lots of guardsman.

Company command squad w/ Creed and Kell in a chimera

Platoon command squad in a chimera
5 squads of 10 Guardsmen on foot
5 squads of 3 hvy weapons (6 las, 3 autocannons, 3 missiles, 3 heavy bolters)
2 squads of special weapons (3 snipers each)

1 squad of melta vets in a chimera

3x leman russ tanks (various loadouts)

The idea was to max out a platoon (except conscripts). I plan to have the platoon com squad give orders to the footsloggers and have Creed give orders to the hvy weapons. I think there are some points left and I haven't decided how to loadout the squads.

I really like the idea of a table full of Guardsmen just like in the Space Marine novels.

I apologize for bad spelling. I'm posting from my phone :)

SlavesToDarkness
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
This list will work. What is the points value you're shooting for?

Here's my suggestions:

1) Comissar. Comissar. Comissar. Your guys on foot need the option to blob up. Rope in at least 1 comissar with power-weapon + meltabombs.

2) Put the veterans in a Valkyrie.

3) No heavy bolter weapons squad. More autocannons instead.

4) Leman Russ Executioner with Plasma Cannon Sponsons to vaporize any heavily armored infantry that gets too close.

Unholy_Martyr
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Crappy...well it has potential to be! I personally love the idea of footslogging Imperial Guard Armies. Just seems so...Imperial. Every Guard Regiment is different and equally just as effective if give them right tools. The issue becomes however, that if you do this, any armor you have will become an even bigger target then before.

While everyone swears by the Chimera pillbox approach, I think you should use those points on more bodies. 3 Chimeras is equivalent to 165 points. Do you know what 165 points can buy you? It can buy you a whole other Infantry Platoon with plenty of points to be kitted out with (Command Squad and 2 Infantry Squads). Sure it doesn't sound like much, but you just added 25 more bodies in your force. 5 Squads of Heavy Weapon teams? Yeah, that's righteous and all but you could do some magic with those points. They are set in a way that is maximally effective, I must say (5 squads gives your enemy some tough decisions); however, their glaring weakness still remains. One well placed blast weapon and you can kiss your entire squad goodbye. I tend to be of the school of thought where you put Heavy Weapons into Squads and dedicate some awesome Twin Linked fire (Possibly Twin Linking 5 Lascannons? Yeah you know you like the thought.) This would be something to consider.

Now back to the idea of a second Platoon, if you do this you can also do something that is very special. The Epic Imperial Tar Pit. 30-40 Guardsmen, Sgt.'s with Power Weapons, a Commissar or two and you have a wall that most units will have problems getting through. If you want a foot slogging force, these guys are something of a prerequisite.

Melta Veterans are awesome in Chimeras but with the amount of ranged firepower you can pour down range, they can quickly fall by the wayside (you would just run out of tanks to pop and these guys would quickly find themselves without a job). Consider this as you build your list.

Leman Russ tanks, you have tons to choose from and many good options, pick what suits your play style best.

That's what I have to offer, hope it helps.

johnnyfoodmaster
01-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Good ideas guys!

I think I will skip the Chimeras and drop the vets. I'm going to add another platoon (1 comm squad and 2x 10 Guardsmen squad)

I'm going to go with 3 Leman Russ tanks, each as a separate heavy choice:
1 Battle Tank
2 Executioners
All with Las Cannons. I like Executioners to kill terminators and everything else they hit and also to pop Rhinos and light armor.

I'm going to look into a Commisar to go with the smaller Platoon.

I'm lookin for massive amounts of fire and the ability to fill one whole side of a table with Guardsmen :)

This is all new to me because I'm a Space Marine player and 90ish models on a table is very foreign to me.

Jwolf
01-14-2010, 09:52 AM
You really can't go wrong starting with a horde of Guardsmen. Your ideas of what to take may change over time, but you'll have the bodies to build almost anything from this kind of start.

Unholy_Martyr
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah, having 100+ Guardsmen usually spells doom for anyone coming across the board. Take a look at this:

HQ: Company Command Squad (8#, 140 pts)
4 Company Command Squad @ 125 pts (Vox Caster; Master of Ordnance; Officer of the Fleet; Autocannon; Regimental Standard)
1 Company Commander

Troops: Infantry Platoon (51#, 515 pts)
1 Infantry Platoon
4 Platoon Command Squad ( Vox Caster; Autocannon)
1 Platoon Commander
7 Infantry Squad ( Vox Caster; Grenade Launcher x1; Heavy Weapons Team)
1 Heavy Weapons Team ( Lascannon) 1 Sergeant
7 Infantry Squad (Vox Caster; Grenade Launcher x1; Heavy Weapons Team)
1 Heavy Weapons Team (Lascannon) 1 Sergeant
3 Heavy Weapons Squad (Autocannon x3)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (515 pts)
1 Infantry Platoon
1 Platoon Commander

Troops: Infantry Platoon (365 pts)
1 Infantry Platoon
1 Platoon Commander
7 Infantry Squad ( Grenade Launcher x1; Heavy Weapons Team)
7 Infantry Squad (Grenade Launcher x1; Heavy Weapons Team)
7 Infantry Squad (Grenade Launcher x1; Heavy Weapons Team)

Heavy Support: Manticore Rocket Launcher 160 pts
1 Manticore Rocket Launcher @ 160 pts (Heavy Flamer)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery 135 pts
1 Ordnance Battery @ 135 pts (Medusa, Heavy Flamer)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery 135 pts
1 Ordnance Battery @ 135 pts (Medusa, Heavy Flamer)

100+ Guardsment, enough Lascannons to make any Land Raider cry, Maximum of 5 Strength 10 Pie Plates of doom and well...you get the point.

I'm liking your plan on the Leman Russ's, you'd get the nightmare of everything infantry x2 and a Battle Cannon for those more resilient foes. Just make sure to capitalize on orders and Heavy Weapons teams to take down the heavier armor.

johnnyfoodmaster
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
That list is out of control!

The reason I'm doing the heavy weapons separate is so that the horde of Guardsmen can surge across the table and crash upon the enemy and the heavy weapons can still blast away. I plan to have my company command squad up near the heavies so that Creed can give 4 bring it down orders a turn to get rid of vehicles. He's got a great commander range, so the heavy weapons can spread out.

I'm thinking of a Master of Ordinance to go in the Company Command squad. I think his orbital bombardment STINKS tho.

I like this sort of build cuz the Space Marines that I usually play are like a surgical scalpel and this list is like a spork trying to open someone up to take out their spleen or something.

I think that with enough flashlights, even Guardsmen could take out a Daemon Prince. :)

Unholy_Martyr
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I used that list in an Apocalypse game with the soul purpose of sitting back and letting the Marines and Mechanized Imperial Guard surge forward. I successfully downed around 10-12 vehicles a turn and about 80+ Ork Boys a turn were vaporized.

For your idea, Heavy Weapons teams are a good deal, now if you want them to make it across the field I would definitely recommend a Comissar so they don't get smarter than they are and decide to run for their lives.

I personally like the Master of Ordnance, sure his personal Basilisk is a little inaccurate (okay, very inaccurate) but if you plop it in the middle of a dense formation (i.e. horde, mechanized spearhead), its guaranteed to make your day :-).

And on the flashlight comment, if you get a horde of 40 Guardsmen with First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire!, that's 120 shots pouring down on one target...I don't care who you are, you're gonna die.

johnnyfoodmaster
01-15-2010, 06:04 AM
The way the list is currently, there's about 200pts left. I can afford some Commissars. I wanted to put some special weapons in the infantry squads and banners in the command squads.

All that stuff should come to about 200pts.

Now all I need is 5 battleforces and 3 Leman Russ tanks and I can start...right after I paint my Space Wolves :)

Col_Festus
01-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Might I suggest adding priests and commissars and blobbing those 30 man units together. When you use creeds "For Cadia" order you will get 16 str 4 power weapon attacks and around 50 something regular str 4 attacks all with the ability to reroll misses. Purdy nice! Also being leadership 9 and stubborn makes them pretty good. You can also Use for Cadian up to 4 times a round so you can always ditch the commissars and simply have fearless mobs running at the enemy. Just some food for thought. Something I'm trying to incorporate into my DKOK human wave army.