PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Mech or 1500pt Calvary?

Unholy_Martyr
01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
So I was playing with an Assault list a while back and came up with 2 versions after some considerations. This first version is more of a Mechanized force while the second relies more heavily on calvary, take a look see and let me know what you think.

Shooty Army:

Rune Priest: Tesmpests Wrath, Living Lightning, Chooser of the Slain
Long Fangsx5: 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Plasma Cannons, Razorback Twin Linked Lascannon

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Wolf Standard, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Wolf Standard, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Wolf Standard, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta,Wolf Standard, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Dreadnought: 2x Twin Linked Autocannons

2x Vindicators

Total: 1485

Assault List:

Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Thunderwolf Mount, Storm Shield, Frost Blade, Saga of the Wolfkin

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Thunderwolf Calvaryx4: 1 Storm Shield/ Thunder Hammer

Thunderwolf Calvaryx4: 1 Storm Shield/ Power Fist

Fenrisian Wolvesx10

Total: 1500

For the shooty force, the Long Fangs as well as the Heavy Bolter Razorbacks sit back and provide cover fire while the 2 Vindicators and Assault Cannon Razorbacks move into position.

For the Assault Force, the Calvary and Assault Cannon Razrobacks move forward, screened by the Fenrisian Wolves for the Assault, while the Heavy Bolter Razorbacks hold objectives/ hold the flank.

I realize that both forces are fairly lacking in certain areas but these lists are more for funzies type games.

Comments, ideas, any input at all is welcome.

Chumbalaya
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
The first one has a lot of points dumped into marginally useful upgrades. Extra armor, wolf standards (for 6 guys?) and the extra guy really aren't useful for units that will be sitting in their rides all game. I'd give them all assault cannons or go for las/plas.

Beyond that, more TLAC Dreads and some MM/HF Speeders would be really handy. Another unit of Fangs wouldn't hurt either.

The second one I think is better, but you've still got lots of points sunk into sub par upgrades. I'd just go big for a Wolf Lord with Warrior Born. A Rune Priest would be extremely useful. This army will have a difficult time cracking armor, so swapping for lascannons and picking up Fangs would help considerably.

Unholy_Martyr
01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
For the first list: These guys are all working of off the Counter Attack that Space Wolves get, I probably should have made the changes earlier, but I decided in place of the 6th Grey Hunter, I would replace them with Wolf Guard armed with a matching Combi-Meltas or Combi Flamers and either a Power Weapon or Power Fist. In doung so I would add 92 points to the list and in its place, I would sacrifice all the Extra Armor on the Razors and the Twin Linked Autocannon on the Dreadnought. This would put me at 1507 overall. The Standards are there mainly for the Wulfen and the fact that the First Assault for these folks is going to be the last. I may drop the Standards and keep the Rifleman Dreadnought and play around with the points some more.

For the second list: The Extra Armor is to ensure I stay on the move, I've had way too many instances of my Razorbacks being Stunned and subsequently gunned down or assaulted. While the math is in favor of not taking it, I'd rather be safe then sorry (as more often than not I am sorry). Which segways into switching to Lascannons, I will try this list with both types of weapons and see where it goes. And Long Fangs really have no place in this list as they would probably be left out in the cold. I was thinking of going with a Lord with Warrior Born but the man would be 235 points. The Wolf Guard Battle Leader is 185 points, plus if any of the puppies survive crossing the field they are now Initiative 5. In addition, everyone in my club knows the secret to Saga of the Warrior born, just stay away from the big bad wolf and shoot him to death. The armor issue is argumentative as this group will Wolf Pack my enemy and take out the heavy armor up close and personally.

Possible revised lists:
Shooty Army:

Rune Priest: Tesmpests Wrath, Living Lightning, Chooser of the Slain
Long Fangsx5: 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Plasma Cannons, Razorback Twin Linked Lascannon

Wolf Guardx4: (Going with their respective units) Either Combi Flamer and Power Weapon or Combi Melta and Power Fist

Grey Huntersx5: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Wolf Standard, Razorback, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx5: Mark of the Wulfen, Flamer, Wolf Standard, Razorback, Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Grey Huntersx5: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Wolf Standard, Razorback, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Grey Huntersx5: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta,Wolf Standard, Razorback, Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Dreadnought: Twin Linked Autocannon

2x Vindicators

Total: 1485

Assault List:

Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Thunderwolf Mount, Storm Shield, Frost Blade, Saga of the Wolfkin

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Lascannon

Grey Huntersx6: Mark of the Wulfen, Melta, Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin Linked Lascannon

Thunderwolf Calvaryx4: 1 Storm Shield/ Thunder Hammer

Thunderwolf Calvaryx4: 1 Storm Shield/ Power Fist

Fenrisian Wolvesx10

Total: 1500

Chumbalaya
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I've always found that instead of shelling out to protect AV11 vehicles, fielding more ends up better. Sure 1 or 2 get stunned (1/6 chance all the time), but now you've got more so it isn't as crippling.

As far as GH counter attack is concerned, I wouldn't shell out too much for it. The real meat of your army is dakka, sacrificing it to dish out a few more S4 attacks once all your vehicles doesn't seem the best choice, it's basically planning for failure. Instead of all that you can fit in Dakka Preds, Rifleman Dreads, or Typhoon/MM and HF Speeders to give you more firepower. Shoot, shoot, shoot, and you can still mop up with 5 GH carting a flamer.

For the assaulty, your plan should be getting enemies out of their rides then pouncing on them. Autocannons, lascannons, and missile launchers do this best, so maximize on them. The TWC can munch infantry all day, so HBs are pretty much wasted. Melta would be most useful, but the S10 attacks from the TWC do a good job too.