PDA

View Full Version : Chenkov List

Lord Azaghul
01-14-2010, 08:27 AM
At the moment I'm doing my best not be buy gw stuff, and I've got a bunch of stuff sitting in the close that needs painting.
I'm almost done painting my Creed/harker list (viewable in my blog), just a handful of models remain.
And I know I'm the kind of person whose not going to paint (or assemble) something unless I plan on using it.
And I've got a bunch of tallarn plasmas, GL, ML all sitting around, and my old Ogryn are just sitting in a large box, cause I haven't really seen the need to use them in this book, and I want en excuse to built a heavy sentinal. I'll be keeping the same paint scheme for the most part, but taking Chenkov as my only special character, who happens to be converted to a zap brannigan resemblance. So here's the 2k list

.Main Parts of my theme is plasma, and blast

Vargen (HQ) Plasmax2, med pack, 110
Master of Ord, Officer of the Fleet, Body Guard 75
Chimera: 55
Commersar Lord 70 (Kif Conversion)
1 Vet squad Flamer/meltax2 95
Branigan (chenkov) Powerweapon Bolt Pistol 80
Squad Gran Launchx3 15
Chimera 55
1st Squad GL 55
2nd Squad GL 55
Conscripts (40). Send in the next wave 235
HW -1 Mortars 60
HW-2 Mortars 60
HW-3 Missile Launcher 90
SW 1 GLx3 50
SW 2 Plasma x3 80

Fast:
Heavy Sentinal 12/10/10 Plasma Cannon 75
Sentinal Squad (2) ACx2 80
Valkyrie: Multilas, Rocket Pods 130

Elite:
Ogryn (4) 170
Chimera: 55

Heavy
Basiliskx2 250

Stuff that will need to be painted: GL, Missle Launchers Sqaud, Ogryns, Scout/Heavy Sentinals, 1 Mortar Sqaud Zap and Kif, and probably a few random tallarn models.

Unholy_Martyr
01-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Sounds like a pretty "Soviet" theme. Whenever you face hordes, I'd like to see a picture of your opponents face after you drop almost 20 blast weapons on them a turn.

SlavesToDarkness
01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I've always wanted to run a Chenkov list and maybe I will someday. Please let me know how this one works out!

That being said: I might recommend you try to rope in a second platoon so that you can add in a second conscript squad.

Lord Azaghul
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a pretty "Soviet" theme. Whenever you face hordes, I'd like to see a picture of your opponents face after you drop almost 20 blast weapons on them a turn.

That was part of the idea in its creation, the other was to inspire me to paint the rest of my army!:D

I've always wanted to run a Chenkov list and maybe I will someday. Please let me know how this one works out!

That being said: I might recommend you try to rope in a second platoon so that you can add in a second conscript squad.

I thought about the 2nd platoon, but I wanted a little artillary in the list; and since I don't normally run conscripts they seems really really expensive.
I may drop when the conscripts down to 30, and take a few ratling do deal with the odd MC...but finding enough points for a 2nd platoon with out sacrificing the 'painting' idea seems tricky!

SlavesToDarkness
01-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the strength of the "Send in the Next Wave!" rule is that you can remove the unit at the start of your turn. If they tie anything up in hand to hand, you can just delete them the next turn and totally fry your flat-footed enemy with your big guns (big, direct fire weapons are good for this tactic - Executioners, Demolishers etc.).

Also: not sure why Basilisks. If you have the models, then that's cool, but if you don't then consider Griffons instead of one. 2 x Griffons cost as much as 1 Basilisk (okay, a little more expensive) but are more accurate, still kill orks on a 2+ and given the proliferation of cover dropping 2 templates on a marine squad that gets a 3+ armor save is better than dropping one template on a marine unit that allows a 4+ cover save.

Lord Azaghul
01-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I think the strength of the "Send in the Next Wave!" rule is that you can remove the unit at the start of your turn. If they tie anything up in hand to hand, you can just delete them the next turn and totally fry your flat-footed enemy with your big guns (big, direct fire weapons are good for this tactic - Executioners, Demolishers etc.).

Also: not sure why Basilisks. If you have the models, then that's cool, but if you don't then consider Griffons instead of one. 2 x Griffons cost as much as 1 Basilisk (okay, a little more expensive) but are more accurate, still kill orks on a 2+ and given the proliferation of cover dropping 2 templates on a marine squad that gets a 3+ armor save is better than dropping one template on a marine unit that allows a 4+ cover save.

I do think Griffons/ collosis would fit the theme better, but I do have 2 bassies built and painted...perhaps when gw releases a griffon...
I do do very well with my bassies though!

Edit: also in my list they are a nice 'all-comers' weapon. I can go after vehicles OR infantry

Lord Azaghul
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
After seeing what models I have I’ve changed the list a hair.
Dropping down to 35 Conscripts and giving the Sargent’s in the 10 man platoon squads plasma pistols (I’d like to paint the models)

The main part of the Platoon will be tarllarn models, except for the conscripts and mortars (cadian)

When I get this project done I should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 painted IG.

lobster-overlord
01-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I've had great success with Chenkov and Send in teh next wave. I use 41, so they won't have to morale check until the 11th is killed in the first volley.

I've contemplated using them as two 20 mans, but that would at 75 points, but it would give me more flexibility in how I deploy them.