PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Pts Starter Dwarves

Melissia
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
So... I've narrowed down my choice of armies to a Dwarves army. Here's what I've come up with for what I'm aiming for for my starter army:

Heroes: 165 Pts
Thane w/Pistol, Oath Stone
-- Runic Hand Weapon (+2S, +1I)
-- Runic Armor (1+ Armor Save)
-- Runic Talisman (Immune to Fire)

Core: 730 Pts
Dwarf Warriors: Musician, Standard Bearer
-- 24 Warriors w/Shields
-- Veteran w/Shield

Dwarf Thunderers: Musician
-- 14 Thunderers w/Shield
-- Veteran w/Shield

-- 14 Thunderers w/Shield
-- Veteran w/Shield

Special: 105 Pts
Stone Thrower:
-- Engineer
-- Rune of Reloading

The main idea is to put the stone thrower on a hill behind the Warriors, and have it constantly fire throughout the game blocked by the body of warriors. The Thunderers are on either side of the warriors. The Oath Stone should make the warriors rather hard to remove.

Heroes: 120 Pts
Thane w/Oath Stone
-- Runic Hand Weapon (Flaming)
-- Runic Armor (1+ Armor Save)
-- Runic Talisman (Immune to Fire)

Core: 880 Pts
-- 24 Warriors w/Shields
-- Veteran w/Shield

-- 20 Thunderers w/Shield
-- Veteran w/Shield

-- 20 Thunderers w/Shield
-- Veteran w/Shield

This second list sacrifices the stone throwers and some of the thane's equipment for more Thunderers, but I'm unsure how wise that is.

Aldramelech
01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Goodbye

Lord Azaghul
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Thunderers: These lads function best in units of 10 with shields.
Warriors: good
Thane: Taking a standard GW its cheaper, most of the time dwarf heroes will be striking last anyway. I also wouldn’t bother with a pistol. It doesn’t combine with a magical weapon for an extra attack, and most the time you want be able to use it.

Stone thrower: The first month or so I had my GT, it did great, it hit stuff. 3 years later, every time I pull it out for a game or tourney it never hits a dang thing, or misfirers when it hits. If you do take this one, take it with the Ro Accuracy. The problem is that a 4” scatter makes the wm useless. Any wm is a better choice.
I prefir 2 boltthowers: More in game impact and reliability. The OG is also a great choice for a lone wm in smaller games.

With extra points a small unit of miners for contesting table corners and wm hunting could be useful; Or dropping on unit of thunderers for quarrellers. The added range is great.

First list is definitely the better.

Melissia
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Okay, using your suggestions:

Heroes: 139 Pts
Thane w/Great Weapon, Oath Stone
-- Runic Armor (1+ Armor Save, Re-Roll Failed Saves)

Core: 571 Pts
-- 23 Warriors w/Shields
-- Veteran w/Shield

-- 9 Thunderers w/Shields
-- Veteran w/Shield

-- 9 Thunderers w/Shields
-- Veteran w/Shield

Special: 290 Pts
Cannon
-- Engineer
-- Rune of Reloading, Rune of Forging

Cannon
-- Engineer
-- Rune of Reloading, Rune of Fortune

Does this work a bit better? The formation would either look like this:

[Thunderers] [Cannon] [Warriors] [Cannon] [Thunderers]

Or this:

[Thunderers][Warriors][Thunderers]
_______[Cannon][Cannon]

Depending on if I can get a hill big enough for two cannons...

Aldramelech
01-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Goodbye

Lord Azaghul
01-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Much better. Although, depending on deployment, option Placing the OS unit on the flank itsn't a bad idea.
Little trick for you by the way. Giving the Vet in the thunderers a brace of pistols enables you to guarrenttee that your thunderers fire at close range on a 'stand and shoot' reaction. Per the brb, the stand and shoot does not occure untill ALL models are in range.

Aldramelech
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Goodbye

Melissia
01-19-2010, 10:50 AM
As will I.

Randroid
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Giving the Vet in the thunderers a brace of pistols enables you to guarrenttee that your thunderers fire at close range on a 'stand and shoot' reaction. Per the brb, the stand and shoot does not occure untill ALL models are in range.

Yeah. They all get to fire but guess what! Suddenly your Thunderers are outside of half range and get to do nothing.

Lord Azaghul
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah. They all get to fire but guess what! Suddenly your Thunderers are outside of half range and get to do nothing.

Uh, no. You're crossing rules.
You don't get your stand and shoot IF the opponent STARTS the charge within half of THEIR total charge distance - not your shooting range.

The stand and shoot itself does not take place until all firing models are in range - it has nothing to do with where your opponent starts from.

The BoP helps off set the -1 from standing and shooting by not firing until the opponent is 8" away.

Melissia
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I really need to read that section more in depth...