PDA

View Full Version : Tau Rumor Compilation

Lerra
01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
These are the more reasonable rumors related to Tau that have been floating around the internet.

A new codex is in planning, likely slated for 2012, possibly 2011.

Crisis Suits and Broadsides are getting new models. The crisis suit update has apparently been completed for quite some time because GW was unhappy with the fragility of the model (particularily at the ankles). It's possible that the Crisis Suit model will be released before the next codex update, but GW will have to work it into their busy release schedule.

Several Tau models are no longer able to be ordered.

A higher-up at GW stated long ago that, "with every Tau release they will get new allies." There was a sighting of a centaur-like model in progress at GW in 2009, which led to rumors that a new Tau codex might come with Tallerians as allies. The Lexicanum on Tallerians: "Tarellians are a minor reptilian species of alien found throughout much of the galaxy. They are commonly known as Tarellian Dog-soldiers, because of their snouted faces and their habit of working as mercenaries. During the Great Crusade the Imperium virus-bomed most of their home worlds, almost wiping the species out. For this reason they have a great grudge against the Imperium. The Tarellians have not been conquered by the Tau but are often found fighting as mercenaries in their armies, particularly when the war is against humans."

Commander Shadowsun is being either removed or completely reworked, as she was intended as a special release for Cities of Death

The new codex will include a large number of new named characters

(btw, apologies for posting in the wrong forum. The forum bug wouldn't let me post in the News&Rumors forum)

Rapture
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I am waiting on several new models but new crisis suits are at the top of my list. Plastic pathfinders would be nice but it is pretty easy to make a substitute from regular fire warriors.

Duke
01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Interesting data. I would love to see a new Tau codex, I would like them to be able to compete with IG for overall shootyness.

Duke

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-14-2010, 04:09 PM
More xenos is always good, shame their not completely non-humanoid, but at least they are centaur-like as opposed to bipeds.

Crevab
01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
which Tau units are no longer up for order?

sicarius2424
01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
yeah one of my freinds suits broke at the ankle so it is now holding on by one ankle then for another time both ankles broke and then oh yeah more allies to deal with :(

Brass Scorpion
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
GW was unhappy with the fragility of the model (particularily at the ankles) They're not the only ones. The models are great, except for the fragility at the ankles. I see them broken there all the time, many models are pinned back together at the ankles because of the problem. Of course, I'll be hanging onto all the ones I already have to bulk out my army when the new book comes as I'm sure the newer ones will be more expensive. I got that great Apocalypse deal on them a couple years ago on top of those in the army set and Battleforce, etc.

Rapture
yeah one of my freinds suits broke at the ankle so it is now holding on by one ankle then for another time both ankles broke and then oh yeah more allies to deal with :(

All of my crisis suits are on flying stands. They all have a hovering pose to them but the loss of variety is way better than chronic ankle breakage.

DarkLink
Meh, when I played Tau, I didn't do it for allies. Heck, if I went back and started playing them again, I'd use my 36+ fire warriors all the time. I'd have to get a whole bunch of suits, though. Last ed I was never big on suits, so I don't own any (sold my HQ to a friend when I stopped playing them, but kept everything else).

Faultie
01-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm just crossing my fingers for Great Knarlocs.

Stormlord Aeirling
01-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Good to see Gw is making new crisis suits. from what i hear, the current ones are ridiculously fragile.

TheBitzBarn
01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Do not hold your Breath on this as the Tau Codex is NOt at all That old. I would say these are a Late 2011 release but Dark Eldar and Necrons are WAY in front of these along with Inquisition.

Mike X
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
which Tau units are no longer up for order?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

It'd be nice to see new Tau stuff, and especially more xenos allies for them.

slxiii
01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Do not hold your Breath on this as the Tau Codex is NOt at all That old. I would say these are a Late 2011 release but Dark Eldar and Necrons are WAY in front of these along with Inquisition.

Codexes older than Tau...
Dark eldar
Necrons
Inquisitions
Black Templars
Dark Angels? not sure on that one but i know they have a slightly older codex.

Thats 5 books if the combined inquisition rumour is correct, 6 if not.
Even if all of them come out before tau, tau will still get in late 2012.
That is, unless they start over and redo all the marine codexes again....

DarkLink
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Thats 5 books if the combined inquisition rumour is correct, 6 if not.

Current rumors don't really make a combined book seem too likely atm, so 6. Of which, supposedly BT, GK, DE and Necrons (Sisters are supposed to be in there somewhere, too) will be updated in the next year or so, in addition to BA. So Tau will probably still be a while.

Crevab
01-16-2010, 02:33 AM
And this unmentioned Tau unit that was gone, is it still gone? The Sisters box is back after just a few days and look at all the hoopla that caused.

Idaeus
01-16-2010, 05:24 AM
My first army was tau and I got them straight after the latest codex came out. I thought it was good but lacking in background and characters. Also the army lists require a lot of page flicking abd some wargear doesn't seem valuable. I hope this will improve next release along with many new models. Plastic pathfinders and battlesuits, at a low price, should definateley be done. As far as aliens some sort of kroot cavalry or flyers as well as those centaur like things would be good.
(btw I think tau is older then DA)

Denzark
01-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Perhaps a tau RUMOR compilation may be better moved to NEWS AND RUMORS rather than DISCUSSION?

Denzark
01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, had you read the opening post, you would have seen the reason for this.

My friends, I would like to tell you, I invented the Internet! - Jwolf masquerading as Denzark

Stormlord Aeirling
01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Perhaps a tau RUMOR compilation may be better moved to NEWS AND RUMORS rather than DISCUSSION?

Well, had you read the opening post, you would have seen the reason for this.

(btw, apologies for posting in the wrong forum. The forum bug wouldn't let me post in the News&Rumors forum)

Stormlord Aeirling
01-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Just pointing out your mistake.

Jwolf
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Moved to News and Rumors.

Denzark
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Jwolf you're a funny guy

Lerra
01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks Jwolf.

My FLGS was told by their GW rep that Pathfinder blisters and the Broadside kit were not available for order, no ETA for their availability or replacement. A different local FLGS had the same issue, and it was implied that this situation would be long-term. I'm not sure if it means anything, but such is the nature of rumors ;) It appears that everything is still available online.

Most likely, it's the same issue that popped up with Dark Eldar 18-6 months ago. Stock ran low and GW decided it wasn't worth making more kits to restock the brick-and-mortar stores. Sales were too low to justify taking time away from making Imperial Guard sprues or whatnot. But, it's also possible that the "mystery model" being released with the new missions book is a new battlesuit/broadside kit or something similar.

Rapture
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
But, it's also possible that the "mystery model" being released with the new missions book is a new battlesuit/broadside kit or something similar.
I check daily for any info on the upcomming release. I will be excited for anything but new tau suits would be very nice.

Darkseer
01-17-2010, 01:45 AM
I there's 2 kits the range needs, it's updated Battlesuits and plastic Broadsides.

As for the new Codex itself (if and when it is released), it would probably follow the current Codex trends by having a huge number of heavily themed units thrown at it.

There's a mention of new Battlesuit variants in the Tau fluff in the Warhammer 40K rulebook, so presumably new suit choices are on their way.

As a Tau player who has shelved his army until the new Codex, I feel that the new Tau Codex will require more high strength weapons with low AP. They don't have the plethora of melta guns and powerfists that allow the other armies to cope with the new 'big stuff' that's populating the game.

Personally, I'd let the whole army zoom 24" and have BS4, but perhaps I'm just biased?

Turbo_MMX
01-17-2010, 02:54 AM
So long as they allow for a All kroot list this time around. Ill be happy :)

gcsmith
01-17-2010, 02:54 AM
they need bs4. they rely on their troops shooting, they have the stats of a guardsmen yet pay 5 points more for their gun, just silly

Cryl
01-17-2010, 06:53 AM
they need bs4. they rely on their troops shooting, they have the stats of a guardsmen yet pay 5 points more for their gun, just silly
Well it is arguably the best basic infantry weapon in the game and considerably better than a lasgun

gcsmith
01-17-2010, 06:53 AM
the fact is better is no doubt, but is it worth 5 points? not really, at bs4 however 5 points it would be worth it, i mean tau would have developed targeting systems by now

megatrons2nd
01-17-2010, 08:18 AM
A BS4 only amounts to 1 extra marine, 1 extra Eldar Guardian, and 2 Extra Guardsmen per turn of shooting using a base of ten shots. It will help, but I still think the Fire Warrior cost should go down.

BS FADE
01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I'd like to know the answer to this too.

It'd be nice to see new Tau stuff, and especially more xenos allies for them.

As far as I can tell there are no missing units on the site.

MarshalAdamar
01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
the fact is better is no doubt, but is it worth 5 points? Not really, at bs4 however 5 points it would be worth it, I mean tau would have developed targeting systems by now

I would think that a STR 5 AP 5 basic infantry weapon would be worth the extra 5 points, AND the fire warrior gets a 4+ save instead of a 5+ save.

So I don’t think they’re over costed.

The Mathhammer is better for them than having a BS of 4 and a STR 4 weapon. They hit on 4+ but wound guard on a 2+ and by pass their armor. 24 shots at 12" hits 12 (with no marker lights) wounds 10 and kills 10 = bye bye guard squad.

Even against marines it comes out to about the same amount of wounds hitting on 4+ but wounding on a 3+

Compare that to 12 guard’s men shooting into a FW squad.

They need something but no EVERY army in 40k can have BS4. NOW, I think that some units should.

I think that they should have elites choices for the tau that are fire warrior squads with BS 4 (like the honor guard) BUT they can't as scoring units too.

And battle suits can already have a targeting array for BS 4 but it should be available to all battle suits and be hard wired war gear.

DarkLink
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I would think that a STR 5 AP 5 basic infantry weapon would be worth the extra 5 points, AND the fire warrior gets a 4+ save instead of a 5+ save.

Considering IG vets, buying the 4+ save works out to 2pts/model, iirc. So the weapon is only +3pts over a guardsman's lasgun, but gets +2 str, AP 5 and a 30" range. I'd say that's a good deal.

MarshalAdamar
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Considering IG vets, buying the 4+ save works out to 2pts/model, iirc. So the weapon is only +3pts over a guardsman's lasgun, but gets +2 str, AP 5 and a 30" range. I'd say that's a good deal.

I would agree, + 3 points for the pulse rifle over Vets since they have a 4+ is a DEAL

SO

+1 point for the extra 6" of range
+1 point for STR 5 (up from the Str3 las gun)
+1 point more for STR 5

So tell me that guard players would not wet themselves to spend +3 points per model to have a STR5 AP5 30" las gun?!

I think the Tau need a lot of things but one thing I know that they do not need is a basic BS 4 trooper.

They need to get rid of marker lights and have ONLY networked marker lights and rewrite the rules for marker lights so it specifies that any unit with a marker light fires the marker light BEFORE any other shooting so that a unit with marker light can benefit from its own squads marker light.

I would also like to see a rule that if the marker light hit is used by the unit that fired the marker light it gets double the benefit for the chosen result. I.e. +2 to BS or -2 cover save if the marker light from Unit A hits and is used BY UNIT A. Other wise if say a hammer head used that marker light it only gets the standard effect.

Things like that would raise Tau shooting EFFECTIVNESS with out making every army in 40k have BS 4

Combine that with some range and ouch.

Tau have the frame work to have one of the best armies in 40K but right now they’re hampered pretty badly because of how brutal assault is and they just can’t shoot enough to get over the top.

Kepora
01-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Things like that would raise Tau shooting EFFECTIVNESS with out making every army in 40k have BS 4

Combine that with some range and ouch.

Tau have the frame work to have one of the best armies in 40K but right now they’re hampered pretty badly because of how brutal assault is and they just can’t shoot enough to get over the top.

Very true words.

Faultie
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I would agree, + 3 points for the pulse rifle over Vets since they have a 4+ is a DEAL

SO

+1 point for the extra 6" of range
+1 point for STR 5 (up from the Str3 las gun)
+1 point more for STR 5

So tell me that guard players would not wet themselves to spend +3 points per model to have a STR5 AP5 30" las gun?!
I know you weren't trying to be accurate, but I do want to point out that you forgot a few variables.
-1 point for the extra -1WS, -1I, Close-combat weapon, Frag Grenades (only -1 is being generous)
-1 point for the extra -1BS*
-1 point for the lack of Krak grenades*

Also, a 10-man Fire Warrior squad pay +10pts for Ld8 (which comes standard with a Veteran squad).

*I say 1 point for BS and Krak, because Vets are 10 for 70, vs 10 for 50 normal guardsmen, and the only difference is Krak Grenades and +1BS.

Another comparison might be ISTs vs. Firewarriors.
Both are 10pts a piece, with 4+ armour save. Differences are (IST vs. FW):
S3 vs. S5 - FW wins
24" vs. 30" - FW wins
Frag & targeter vs Nothing - IST wins
BS4 vs. BS3 - IST wins
WS3 vs. WS2 - IST wins
I3 vs. I2 - IST wins
Ld8 vs. Ld7 - IST wins

Note: Most Imperial players consider Inquisitorial Storm Troopers to be utter rubbish.
This is all assuming you can compare equally across codices, which isn't universally agreed upon. I personally think 8 or 9pts for FWs wouldn't be too terrible an idea, especially considering they don't get special weapons and can't fire from their transports.

Lerra
01-18-2010, 02:06 AM
You really can't make a fair comparison between Guardsmen and Fire Warriors. Guardsmen have orders, heavy weapons teams, upgrade characters, HQs that increase the effectiveness of Guardsmen, etc. Tau have their own tricks - it's just that those tricks need updating to be as effective as what the Guard can do with their 5th ed codex. By and large, the tricks and weapons options are more important than the stats.

Imo, 4+ armor on a fire warrior is overrated, though. They will nearly always be in cover or in a devilfish, and if they get assaulted, a 4+ armor save is not going to help them. I'd trade all of my armor for +1 Ld or a cheaper base cost in a heartbeat.

Hokiecow
01-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Most of this is wish listing and speculation then rumors

These are the more reasonable rumors related to Tau that have been floating around the internet.

A new codex is in planning, likely slated for 2012, possibly 2011.
Harry may have hinted that they may "Drone" their way in by 2010.

Crisis Suits and Broadsides are getting new models. The crisis suit update has apparently been completed for quite some time because GW was unhappy with the fragility of the model (particularily at the ankles). It's possible that the Crisis Suit model will be released before the next codex update, but GW will have to work it into their busy release schedule.
This is wish listing by Tau player (like me) hoping that GW takes a note from FW as redesigns the suits. A redesign makes since that's a big money maker for Tau. If I recall correctly, Brimestone hinted that GW is looking at porting the FW suits over to plastic. But really this is more speculation then a rumor.

Several Tau models are no longer able to be ordered.
Which ones, I just checked and I found all are still available. We know the GW trend to the make everything in plastic and we've seen plastic pathfinders. It's a given the metal models will be releases in plastic, so I wouldn't label this a rumor.

A higher-up at GW stated long ago that, "with every Tau release they will get new allies." There was a sighting of a centaur-like model in progress at GW in 2009, which led to rumors that a new Tau codex might come with Tallerians as allies. The Lexicanum on Tallerians: "Tarellians are a minor reptilian species of alien found throughout much of the galaxy. They are commonly known as Tarellian Dog-soldiers, because of their snouted faces and their habit of working as mercenaries. During the Great Crusade the Imperium virus-bomed most of their home worlds, almost wiping the species out. For this reason they have a great grudge against the Imperium. The Tarellians have not been conquered by the Tau but are often found fighting as mercenaries in their armies, particularly when the war is against humans."
Not a rumor, we don't know this for sure since GW never committed this to writing. It more wish listing from Tau players. The centaur-like model was a mockup design before it morphed into the Vespid, it's nothing new. The closest thing we have is the random pic of what looks to be a Demiurg but it was debated if it was an actual GW model or not. I think the consensus was it was not a GW model.

Commander Shadowsun is being either removed or completely reworked, as she was intended as a special release for Cities of Death
This is the first I've heard of this. I understand the general dislike player have with using the model (not owning) but i don't think that means she's going by the wayside.

The new codex will include a large number of new named characters
..... what makes you say that? :rolleyes:

suntzusprophet
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
hmmm.... Nope, not 2012 or 2011. try again. A cookie to the person who can guess the month and year.

gcsmith
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
no later than oct this year on ur post on astro lol

DarkLink
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
That's interesting...

So both my Tau and Grey Knights might get updated within a few months of each other... I might actually go back and play with my Tau again, I still have everything except my Shas'el and two Broadsides that I sold:D.

Hokiecow
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
That's interesting...

So both my Tau and Grey Knights might get updated within a few months of each other... I might actually go back and play with my Tau again, I still have everything except my Shas'el and two Broadsides that I sold:D.

I don't believe Gray Knights will make it out this year. They are in the process of doing them so it's likely 2011 or 2012.

Turbo_MMX
01-18-2010, 08:35 PM
hmmm.... Nope, not 2012 or 2011. try again. A cookie to the person who can guess the month and year.

Dec 2010?

slxiii
01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Dec 2010?

My money is on this as well, though with battle missions, the new fantasy and at least 2 fantasy codexes after beastmen, plus blood angels and whatever other marine armies going to be released this year......

And there ARE LOTR releases throughout the year as well...

Either way, this december seems a good educated guess, though if Tau isn't back by then I expect that we will have alot more substantial rumours by then.

DarkLink
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't believe Gray Knights will make it out this year. They are in the process of doing them so it's likely 2011 or 2012.

Maybe, but a recent leaked schedule from somewhere in Germany put them either at the end of the year or beginning of next year. We don't know how accurate it is, of course, but these are rumors we're talking about here;).

Tacoo
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
And there ARE LOTR releases throughout the year as well...
They still release stuff for that?!.

on a more serious note, i would also beleive that tau would come out this year since it fits in with the small releace slot that will be open inbetween all the fantasy stuff

RogueGarou
01-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I am betting on December 23, 2012 as the release date for ALL of the Codicii not released yet. GW is banking on the world ending a day or two prior so they will just announce everything that is left for that date. Even Squats. ALL of the fans are happy then because their army will get a Codex and brand new minis. 40k fans will be rabid, sales will skyrocket as people get ready to spend New Year's Eve playing their dream games of 40k with the minis and books they just got for Christmas. If the world doesn't end, then all of the Codex books and minis will experience a "printing delay" so GW is still covered. An amazing plan on their part. Someone call Dan Brown, I've got an idea for a new book for him. "The Jervis Johnson Code"... and a sequel, "Andy Chambers and Jes Goodwin".

I think that date was selected for Star Wars Episode 7, as well. If the world ends, Lucas still reaps the rewards of a lot of hype for months before it happens. If not, we get another animated movie... with Ewoks! It is a dastardly yet most cunning plan. The marketing shrewdness of George Lucas is not to be underestimated.

But seriously, I would be surprised to see the Tau rushed out in a small window in the release schedule. I don't recall seeing any new minis or artwork for the Tau at any of last years events. I am probably wrong but I thought it took well over a year for molds, planning, sculpting, packaging and all of the other neat things to fall into place for a wave of minis to go into production. Seems like some new models would have been shown off by now if they were releasing by year's end. They might be snuck in somewhere I haven't noticed, though, maybe the new missions book will shed some light like the last couple of expansion books.

Evil-Termite
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
It's interesting to see Tau rumors as they come along. So far, they haven't seemed that strong. Probably because there isn't a more definite release date associated with them. As a Tau player, I am certainly hoping that the speculation of them at the end of the year is correct, and that 2012+ is incorrect.

I'm really hoping that GW continues their current trend with codices where lots of things are priced right, and work well in the game. They have hit some things with the nerf bat a little too hard though like the carnifex, so I hope they don't do that with the Tau either.

Another trend we have been seeing is giving new abilities to armies that didn't traditionally have. IG now have a fast skimmer transport and cheap enough transports now that they can fully mech up where they used to traditionally be a gunline army. With that said, I hope the Tau get some new abilities that are sneaky, fun, and effective.

Biggest 3 wishes:
- Point costs lowered across the entire codex.
- Ability to pack more hammerheads into a list -> like 9
- "Effective" Anti-heavy tank, anti-light tank, anti-heavy infantry options in Elite, Fast attack, and Heavy support choices so that I don't always HAVE to take my anti-heavy vehicle weaponry in heavy support.

Slerpy2
02-11-2010, 02:27 PM

September, 2010

Do i get my cookie?

suntzusprophet
02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
September, 2010

Do i get my cookie?

Nope, still no one gets any cookies. Remember I didn't say it wasn't in 2013 or beyond. ....

I'm just yankin yer chain it's july-august 2010

megatrons2nd
02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Nope, still no one gets any cookies. Remember I didn't say it wasn't in 2013 or beyond. ....
I'm just yankin yer chain it's july-august 2010

How do you know this? What credentials do you have to make me believe this? Not saying your wrong. I really hope you are right, but I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to rumors from people I don't know about.

DarkLink
02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
How do you know this?

Magic.

Actually, I'm really not sure. We've got rumors about like, 12 different armies (not really that many) that are supposed to get updated by next summer, and while I believe that GW's definitely picking up the pace, I don't think they're picking it up that much. And frankly, I've heard almost nothing solid about Tau, compared to much more substantial rumors about other armies.

We'll see what happens, either way.

Lerra
02-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Currently churning in the rumor mill:

Dark Eldar
Necrons
Sisters of Battle
Daemonhunters
Eldar
Tau
The mysterious "fleet-based marines"

It's definitely a crowded field.

Dark_Templar
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Plus S***ts are making a comeback this year...I may have made that up. But it would be nice to see them again, maybe assimilated into the Tau Empire.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Plus S***ts are making a comeback this year...I may have made that up. But it would be nice to see them again, maybe assimilated into the Tau Empire.

Demiurg in the tau empire would make sense, theres still a market for space dwarfs and I bet alot of veterans would spend money on them, but there may not be enough of a market for them to have a full codex/race for many reasons, so I agree it makes perfect sense for them to be put into the Tau empire. I'm sure we'll see some new xeno allies, though - whenever Tau get an update...

Dark_Templar
02-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Demiurg in the tau empire would make sense, theres still a market for space dwarfs and I bet alot of veterans would spend money on them, but there may not be enough of a market for them to have a full codex/race for many reasons, so I agree it makes perfect sense for them to be put into the Tau empire. I'm sure we'll see some new xeno allies, though - whenever Tau get an update...

Agreed. I just fail to see how the Tyranids ate them ALL. They cannot possibly have all been together for a big family reunion when the bugs came along. Regardless, there is always one prick in the family who doesn't attend, let him be a special character. :)