PDA

View Full Version : Ogres Nedd some Help at 2250

Liazardman
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey guys, I first started playing some OK at low points values but they got neglected when I broke out my old WE again. I want to give them another shot, and know they arent overly competitive but I was wondering how this list would fair.

Tyrant w Siegebreaker, Wyrdstone necklace, heavy armor, Gut Maw 276pts

Hunter, 2 saber tusks, Mawseeker 195pts

Bruiser, BsB, 3 thief stones, HA, 204pts

Butcher, 2 dispell scrolls, 50pts

3 bulls, bellower 105pts

3 bulls, bellower 105pts

3 bulls, bellower, standard, lookout gnoblar, 130

4 Ironguts, Standard, Warbanner, Look-out gnoblar, bellower, 247pts

3 leadbelchers 165pts

3 yhettis 195pts

3 Maneaters, 3 braces of handguns, 258pts

Gorger 75pts

Total 2175pts

General idea is to run butcher with a unit of bulls, throw the tyrant and the BSB in withthe iron guts for 2 ranks of 3. As you can see i still have 75pts to spare.

Liazardman
01-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Apparently they need help spelling too

Randroid
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
If you haven't already done so I would recommend checking out the Ogre Stronghold:
www.ogrestronghold.com

My thoughts on your list:

- Why Siegebreaker instead of the Tenderizer on the Tyrant? Just curious.

- I prefer 2 x Thiefstones and SoM on my BSB.

- Hunter's are not considered competitive. If you are going to take one I recommend getting him CC ready and using him for flank support. I wouldn't risk Mawseeker on him either. The only point I see in taking a Hunter is to allow a second unit of Trappers and right now you are running none.

- Standards in general are a bad idea for Ogres - they win on the charge with active CR not static CR. If you want to run a banner just run one on your Ironguts where a character might live. Drop the Standard on the Bulls, that is just giving away points.

- I think BoH are a waste on a unit of Maneaters. You want them in CC not paying double for a unit of Handgunners. Every turn you are not in CC with these guys is a turn you are risking seeing them blasted off the board by magic/shooting. I also think you should be running your BSB and Tyrant in this unit. Stubborn and ItP is huge for OK.

- Gorgers are better in pairs but since you have the ME I guess one is alright. Don't expect it to do much.

The rest of your list is not what I would consider ideal but maybe you know how you want to play it. Hope this helps!

Liazardman
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I opted to put the standard on the second unit of bulls in order to get the look out gnoblar, that way I can hopefully keep the butcher alive. Just curious as to why the SoM on the BSB?

The reason I wanted to run the BSB and Tyrant with the Iron guts is because I want to hit like a ton of bricks. Altho the front rank would only benefit from the 1 Irongut that will still give me another 3 atks at S6 +the Tyrant and BSB.

As for the maneaters they are anti light cav and a secondary assualt force. The ability to move and fire those handguns is a decent deterent. ItP is useful to hold one flank and provide a flanking deterent with the guns. In CC those handguns count as 2 handweapons giving each 5atks at S4 Ws4.

Now I havent had all the models to test this theory as well as i would like. Is there any reason in particular you would use the Maneaters as the deathstar instead? I presume you would give them The Cathayan Longswords?

Thanks a llot

Randroid
01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I opted to put the standard on the second unit of bulls in order to get the look out gnoblar, that way I can hopefully keep the butcher alive. Just curious as to why the SoM on the BSB?

A better plan would be to not put the Butcher in the Bulls and get yourself another unit of Ironguts.

Keep in mind that the LoG effects go away as soon as you lose one Bull. You would be better off adding a champ for randomization and the extra attacks.

The reason I wanted to run the BSB and Tyrant with the Iron guts is because I want to hit like a ton of bricks. Altho the front rank would only benefit from the 1 Irongut that will still give me another 3 atks at S6 +the Tyrant and BSB.

It won't work. Ranked Ogres can't cut it and if I were to play this way (and I do on occasion) I would take Bulls instead. You are paying too much for Ironguts for little benefit. You could take Bulls with LA and HA for the same sized unit for cheaper.

It's too hard to keep a unit like this moving and you have little to deal with fast movers march blocking and/or harassing the flanks of this big one.

As for the maneaters they are anti light cav and a secondary assualt force. The ability to move and fire those handguns is a decent deterent. ItP is useful to hold one flank and provide a flanking deterent with the guns. In CC those handguns count as 2 handweapons giving each 5atks at S4 Ws4.

I know how ME work. You are paying a lot of points per shot if you plan on using these guys for shooting. It is a waste of points. If you want to run a deathstar use these instead of the Ironguts. Without a character backing them up the ME will fall apart against any elite troops thrown at them.

Now I havent had all the models to test this theory as well as i would like. Is there any reason in particular you would use the Maneaters as the deathstar instead? I presume you would give them The Cathayan Longswords?

Yes, I give mine CLS or GW as I find them more useful than BoH - I want them in CC killing things and earning back their point cost. Adding a character or two (especially a BSB) makes these guys basically Unbreakable with a rerollable Stubborn roll and ItP. CLS bumps them up to WS5 which is huge and makes them an actual threat against the better core and special troop choices in the game.

You should try whatever you want, just giving you my opinions based on my own experience trying similar tactics.

Liazardman
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
thanks for the advice ill give it a shot