PDA

View Full Version : New to Warmachine

Liazardman
01-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi all,
Me and my gaming group are completely new to warmachine (we printed off the starter PDFs and are set to try it out tomorrow). The Biggest questions I have about the game are how many points is a normal game? (ive seen internet forums where games and lists vary from 25-75pts) and how to you go about building a force?

I have played warhammer for about 5 years now and am used to having all the army stats in 1 book so i can sit down and see what fits before i buy it, where as warmachine gives you the unit stats when you buy the models. I am looking at Cygnar more so because they have a lot of models I like, but before i commit I want to find out if those models are any good in game.

Thanks for the help

Faultie
01-15-2010, 09:29 AM
When you're starting, I'd suggest 15-25pts. This lets you play the basics, with a caster, a few 'jacks, and a unit and a solo, probably. Once you get the basics down, and have decided on a faction, move up to 35pts for standard games, 50 for standard larger games.

Welcome aboard!

GentleBen
01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi all,
I have played warhammer for about 5 years now and am used to having all the army stats in 1 book so i can sit down and see what fits before i buy it, where as warmachine gives you the unit stats when you buy the models. I am looking at Cygnar more so because they have a lot of models I like, but before i commit I want to find out if those models are any good in game.

Thanks for the help

Warmachine is going over to the more popular format, that of releasing army books, over the next several months. Up until now, they went with a different format. There were several Warmachine expansion books over the years each of which contained all the new stats for all the factions' new models. This format had overall positive responses as some people appreciated getting all the new fluff plus all the rules for their opponents armies, as well as their own, all in the same books. Of course there were others who cried foul, claiming it was wrong for them to have to pay for rules they didn't care about.

The new Forces of Warmachine which will begin releasing in February starting with Cygnar, are to Warmachine what the Army Books are to WHFB. In fact The Retribution already has their book. By June all 6 Warmachine factions will have their own books with Hordes faction books hopefully to follow soon. But you don't have to wait. Next week (Jan. 20) all the MkII card packs will be released which will give you all the MkII rules for all the pre-existing WM models. Just beware of a confusing issue: Privateer released two sets of Card Packs for Warmachine MkI, one of which was confusingly called Warmachine cards MkII. So when you go to buy your cards make sure you get the latest set. I haven't seen the packaging myself, but I'm hoping the newest ones will have 2010 written on them or some other thing to make it clear they are the right ones.

So yeah I wish it wasn't all so confusing. It all makes sense to those of us who have already been playing:D. Warmachine is a great game and I know you'll enjoy it.

N0rdicNinja
01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Warmachine is going over to the more popular format, that of releasing army books, over the next several months. Up until now, they went with a different format. There were several Warmachine expansion books over the years each of which contained all the new stats for all the factions' new models. This format had overall positive responses as some people appreciated getting all the new fluff plus all the rules for their opponents armies, as well as their own, all in the same books. Of course there were others who cried foul, claiming it was wrong for them to have to pay for rules they didn't care about..

They actually haven't abandoned the Campaign books, with the release of MKII they are of course giving every one their own Force books, but after 2010 is done and over with and all of the Warmachine and Hordes books have been released they're reverting back to the Campaign book style of releasing updates. Which I much prefer so I was happy to hear they were keeping it! =)

As for the issue with the decks definitely pay attention to what you're buying as Ben says!!! Right around the time Hordes came out in MKI they released a bunch of decks for the Warmachine forces to bring them up to date with all the new rules flying around in Hordes. These decks were all labeled "FORCE faction deck MKII", to make it easy on you, if you see a deck with any of the following covers, DO NOT PURCHASE IT!!!! IT IS OUT OF DATE!!!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/Sprink135/WM_H/out-dated-decks.jpg

I repeat, do NOT buy any decks with the above covers on them, they are useless now.

As for average size for a game, most of the time I see people generally tend to play at either 35pts or 50pts. That of course could just be my local Meta but it seems to be the case on the forums as well. It would probably better for you guys to play your first game at 15pts to get a feel for things, as Warmachine is far more complex then Warhammer is, I've been playing 40k and Fantasy for over a decade now so trust me when I tell you, there is WAY more to worry about in a game of Warmachine. As a result you will almost always have less models on the field in a game of Warmachine then you will in Warhammer, but the complexities of the game make up for that fact.

I hope you guys enjoy it! I jumped into the fold about 3 months ago and haven't looked back since! =)