PDA

View Full Version : Bigred's Dark Elves

Bigred
07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
My new favorite army:

The big choice is where to go next? I want to add maneuver/harrassment elements, but now I'm up against the old good rules-terrible minis problem. The ideal candidates are either:

-Dark Riders
-Harpies

...both of which aren't the greates in terms of minis. Decisions, desicions.

iamaddj
07-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Looking good Bigred, you should start taking that army to tournaments!

Jwolf
07-24-2009, 02:06 PM
The army will be at the tournament tomorrow. We'll see if I generate lamenting from myself or my opponents.

I was going to get started on a Lizardman army last night, but some guy used his Initiative 6 to snatch the Lizardman book before I got to it.

Abe, if that guy is going to start a Lizardman army, should I really do one, too? I don't want to be like that guy! ;)

Randroid
07-25-2009, 08:53 AM
I think you can convert some pretty cool Harpies if you want to spend the time doing so. Dark Riders might be less easy but also doable.

For your list I would see Harpies being more useful.

Dosadi
07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Do you have Shades yet?
They are some of the best skirmishers in the game. High WS & BS, scout and the ability to get great weapons. Hide an Assassin in the unit and they will rock in Close combat and range.

If you need the speed then I'd go with dark riders as I never leave home without fast cav. I'd take fast cav over flyers...but then harpies can be really good when used right, and now they can use the generals Ld.

I've seen some decent conversions of dark riders from WE glade riders and corsairs.

Dosadi

Snarf
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I play Dwarfs and VC. They both hate Harpies. ... I sugest u DO NOT get harpies... harpies will never work out for you... the models also look bad.

Kaine
07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd second the shades suggestion, i know a player who fields two units of shades with great weapons and assassins, they do more dmg than his hydras.

Except when he played my thorek dwarf army and strangely enough all the skirmishers died as soon as the anvil was struck ;)

Snarf
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Your Lucky. At my club we are not allowed to use Thorek. Everyone says he is to cheesy...

Sigose
07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I really like the army out look I almost want to buy some dark elves and make a themed army just for showcase now! ^^

vharing
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Dark riders with crossbows is the way to go. I had two units of five in the last tournament I was in as well a a unit of nine harpies. the harpies did nothing but die, where as the darkriders managed to run off a few units, kept my big cold one unit from getting into unnecessary hand to hand and protect my bolt throwers from war machine hunters. I am working right now to convert wood elf knights to be dark riders since in canada riders are $15 a pop

jamesTFL
07-31-2009, 04:12 PM
yeah you need some harrassers and faster stuff, the big block of corsairs (assuming they are frenzied) is a liability as anyone with fast cav of skirmishers will lead them around the board on a merry chase

Saint Coppella
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Glade guard, and warriors make excellent Dark Riders. Add a touch of Corsairs and they're perfect.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z283/Osaliske/Fantasy/DRfront.jpg
Harpies on the other hand, I also am at a loss.

darth_papi76
08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Your army looks great. I really like how you did the bases and the movement trays. They really capture a "hey its cold up here!" kind of feel.

Slann
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Looks great , black and red look great on dark elves .

colkillgore
09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I would add a unit or two of harpies. Being able to march block, draw out fanatics, redirect frenzied troops and attack warmachines. I always like a unit of flyers and lament my beast army losing their unit of furies.

zed
09-06-2009, 09:53 AM
I have some dark riders converted from the Dark Elf plastic and Wood Elf plastic box sets. It's not the cheapest solution but it works pretty well.

Aldramelech
09-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I play Dwarfs and VC. They both hate Harpies. ... I sugest u DO NOT get harpies... harpies will never work out for you... the models also look bad.

Flakksons rune of seeking:)