PDA

View Full Version : High Points Games: Getting More From Cypher

Caitsidhe
06-14-2014, 10:21 AM
I caveat the following "theoryhammer" with the fact that I've yet to test it, and that it requires a high points game. I wouldn't even dream of attempting this in less than 2.5K and my gut tells me that 3K+ is the really the right region for this combination. That being said, it should be quite effective.

Fallen Champions (Formation):
Cypher allows a Fallen Champions Formation, that is to say units of CSM (or sub-book) Chosen without any Chaos Marks or more problematic dedicated transport. This means that while you have units of Chosen that can Outflank, they can only do so on foot unless you have vehicle that could also Outflank on its own in which the Chosen (and perhaps Cyhper himself) could be embarked upon in reserve.

Enter the CSM Configuration Proteus Land Raider!

This Scout Tank is an Elite choice and can be loaded to the teeth with useful outflanking guns. My preference in limited testing has been a hull mounted Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, a Pintle Mounted Multi-Melta. I also juice it up with Armoured Ceramite, dozer blade, and extra armour. I figure at that point, if I'm in for a penny I might as well be in for a pound. Per 7th Edition rules, Cypher can join a unit of his Chosen and they in turn can be put in any vehicle you have with transport capacity. It doesn't have to be dedicated. Since the vehicle cannot get Infiltrate from the passengers, the Proteus is great because it already can do that. I like to use a six man Chosen Squad with five Melta-Guns and a Combi-Melta and Power Sword on the Champion.

What you end up with is a hellish nightmare scenario for gun lines and parking lots. A Land Raider packing Lascannons, Heavy Flamer, and Multi-Melta comes in screaming from a flank and disgorges a plethora of Melta-Guns and Cypher (of course) who is packing a nasty Plasma Pistol. You should be able to inflict massive damage taking out even Super Heavies that are camping. Should (on the following round) you opponent rush forward to assault and try to tie up the Cypher/Chosen anti-tank weapons, the unit has Hit & Run provided by Cypher. That means after combat it could break combat. On the next turn they could shoot you up again or even jump back into the handy Proteus to surge forward.

Don't get me wrong. I'm well aware that the combination I'm talking about is 500-600 points depending on all the little perks. However, in an extremely high point game, mobility, and obscene killing power are almost a certainty in 7th Edition. Knights, Baneblades, (and perhaps multiples of the same) can and will be out there. Having a unit capable to liquidating such threats and a ride worthy to carry them is nothing to disregard lightly.

Lord Krungharr
06-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Damn, I didn't know Cypher could take his infiltrating unit in a vehicle. I really gotta get that Dataslate.

Does the Proteus have genuine approved rules now? All I could find were the updated 6th edition 'experimental' rules on Forgeworld.

I think such a combo could actually be very good in smaller point games too, but of course more risky with so many eggs in one basket. The armored ceramite sure helps a bunch though, one would a bunch of armorbane shots and assaults. Too bad Terminators can't ride bikes with chainfists :p