PDA

View Full Version : Difference between X-Wing and Attack Wing?

Mr Mystery
06-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Another question I'm afraid.

Was nosing around on Amazon, and came across Attack Wing, essential a Star Trek version of X-Wing.

Is it any good? Don't seem to hear much in the way of noise about it.

Tooze
06-14-2014, 02:50 PM
They both use the flight-path rules system. X-wing has better stock paint jobs, Attack wing has faster ship release schedule (for good or bad) and a strong event support system. X-wing has two factions at present, Empire and Rebels, while Attack wing has: Federation, Dominion, Romulan, Klingon, Borg, Species 8472, Ferengi, Bajoran, Kazon, Vulcan, Mirror Universe, etc...

For most people I've gamed with it boils down to which universe they liked better, Star Wars or Star Trek.

eldargal
06-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Attack Wing ships are not in scale to each other with wildly varying scales, and the quality is vasty, vastly inferior to X-Wing.

Quaade
06-15-2014, 06:42 AM
In my opinion, Attack Wing captures the feel of the Star Trek universe better than X-Wing captures the feel of the Star Wars universe

Kris Sherriff
06-15-2014, 09:07 AM
In my opinion, Attack Wing captures the feel of the Star Trek universe better than X-Wing captures the feel of the Star Wars universe

I don't know about that.

What more could the do to capture the universe?
If you aren't quoting the films while your pushing your X-Wings in to a swarm of TIE fighters you are playing it wrong :p

I do think it just comes down to which setting you like best. It's like arguing over Gorkamorka and Necromunda or Firestorm Armarda and Uncharted Seas the games are pretty much the same but it's all about the aesthetics and the setting.

Languin
06-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I will say that their modifications to the rules make both games great and accurate to their themes. I have both and i have gotten great mileage from them as games. Quality wise i will def nod towards xwing attack wing cannot compare.

Mr Mystery
06-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Just had a read of Amazon reviews on the various models. Yeah, they're not great. Lots of people complaining about a lack of detail in the paint job.

Shall stick with X-Wing. Well, I will when I actually start.

Poseidon
06-15-2014, 08:58 PM
The reason attack wings paint jobs are terrible in the first releases was they were using the excess hero clix models they had. Used the same molds and everything. The newer stuff is actually a lot better. The gaming system is truly for fighter type craft. The modifications that attack wing did were great but it still feels more of a fighter type game.

eldargal
06-15-2014, 11:15 PM
The new ones are still out of scale though aren't they? That is the big thing for me. Having your smaller warships say Y-Wing sized and then your galaxy glass and d'deridex warbirds Falcon sized would have been amazing.

Nurglesprince
06-17-2014, 04:46 PM
I made my own star trek minis game using the old micro machines models but as you say the scale was all wrong... plus my gaming group really had a thing about the whole 2d nature of a space flight game... gits :P Also The Borg cube should be HUGE!