PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Magenta

ElectricPaladin
06-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm looking to start painting up my Nomads for Infinity, and I've decided to go with a magenta and black scheme: magenta armor and black cloth. Because my force is mostly going to be Corregidor mercenaries, I'm going to play fast and loose with the color scheme. Some models will be strictly black and magenta, while others might have some other pattern (I don't know... tiger stripes or something) with nothing more than a piece of magenta shoulder armor to mark their allegiance.

Anyway.

I'm looking for advice on getting to a nice shade of magenta using Citadel paints (the ones I can get most reliably, plus I've gotten pretty good at using their system).

This is the goal color, though I know that I will be painting both above it and below it to get this overall effect:

https://www.wallyspartyfactory.com/assets/Magenta-Tissue-Paper-Giftwrap-8ct.jpg

What Citadel paints would you recommend for...
• The base.
• The wash.
• The first drybrush.
• The edge highlighting.
• The glaze (if any - not all schemes need one).

Thanks in advance. I'll be sure to post my test model here so we can all admire it (or condemn it).

Morgrim
06-15-2014, 02:36 AM
The old Warlock Purple paint looks like it is a colour match. Apparently the new version is Screamer Pink. I haven't used that one, so I am admittedly assuming that it handles the same way. It's a base colour so it should cover well (Warlock Purple decidedly doesn't so that's good for you).

For highlights, you probably want either Pink Horror or Emperor's Children. I haven't tried a method with a drybrush and an edge highlight so I'm not sure which technique that colour would suit best. If you do base, drybrush, wash, then highlight you might be able to use the same colour for both?

I suggest a purple wash. Blue can work if you need really deep shadows but you'll have to layer your base again afterwards in the brighter areas. If you do decide to do a glaze your choices are purple again (will give a darker, more muted colour) or a red (brighter overall, but it can be easy to go too red or to make your black parts look somewhat burgundy).

I hope that helps somewhat? I feel I'm kind of flailing around a bit here.

ElectricPaladin
06-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I hope that helps somewhat? I feel I'm kind of flailing around a bit here.

No... its a good start. Enough to help me figure out which paints to buy and create a test model, which I can strip if I don't like.

Culial
06-15-2014, 02:43 PM
I know you said that you'd like to stick to GW Paints, but I really would suggest checking out the Vallejo Premier Colour series, they have a lovely looking fluo magenta and a candy magenta to bring back the vibrancy after drybrushing, etc.

While I've not myself used the magenta, I have had great success with the reds both with brush and airbrush.

They're not hugely expensive so could be worth trying:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_U...s/family/20/94