PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt max Guard Armour

Denzark
01-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Ok - the intent is to max out on armour.

HQ
Primaris

Troops
Vet Squad - Chimaera
Vet Squad - Chimaera

Fast Attack
Devil Dog - Multi Melta
Devil Dog - Multi Melta

Heavy Support
Squadron 1
Vanquisher, Lascannon
Demolisher, MM sponsons, lascannon
Pask in Dem.

Squadron 2
Leman Russ vanilla x 2 inc HB sponsons

Squadron 3
2 x Hydra.= 1510pts.

The Vanilla LRs do anti inf and light vehicles.
The Devil Dogs are fire fighters.
the vanq and the dem anti tank - Pask with dem as the 2d6 pen should be enough withthe vanq.
Chimaeras and Hydras sit back to guard against deepstrikers and take/contest objectives last turn, with Primaris on board.

Any comments?

Chumbalaya
01-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Not enough Troops, squadrons are unnecessary, Vanquishers suck, sponsons suck.

Denzark
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks chumby, now even if I go with more troops (by dropping hydras) how the hell do I keep 4 LR without squadrons?

And the last time I took the Vanq it 1st turn killed a LR making the thss inside footslog so I am quite fond of it.

Chumbalaya
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
You don't need 4 LR really, 2 do just fine, 2 Demolishers to be precise. Hydras > most Russ variants anyway.

Vanqs are fail because of BS3 and price. They might get lucky, but are very inconsistent.

Unholy_Martyr
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Well...I'll throw my two cents into this matter...

1) Don't under any circumstances ever, EVER take Multi-Melta Sponsons...You're throwing away 30 points that could be used better elsewhere. The only sponsons worth taking are either Heavy Flamers or Plasma Cannons. Template guarantees something is going to die, the more you have the less your enemy has. Hull Weapons: For the sake of points and use, Heavy Flamers are better. You have the anti-armor well covered, a random Lascannon isn't going to change the end result.

2) Pask...he belongs on a tank that requires Balistic Skill to be effective. Vanquisher, Exterminator or Punisher, of those three mainly the Vanquisher would be the go to because when he pops that Land Raider consecutively each game/ turn he's made his points back. Then you could just roll into the infantry and flame away.

3) If you're doing squadrons, make sure the vehicles in the squadrons have the same range, otherwise they'll be ineffective.

4) With the armor you have, and the plan of attack as it is...I would almost suggest replacing the Veterans and Chimeras with Infantry Platoons as more bodies never hurt the Imperia guard.

5) Drop all of the Sponsons, switch the hull weapons for Heavy Flamers and drop the Veterans with Chimeras. This will give you points for an Infantry Platoon and some heavy weapon support.

That's just my $.02

SlavesToDarkness
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
If you really want to run with this idea, stop with all the half-measures.

Why not:

3 x Leman Russ w/ Heavy Flamer
3 x Leman Russ w/ Heavy Flamer
3 x Demolisher w/ Heavy Flamer

You could try squadrons of 2 x Standard + 1 x Demolisher instead. Might work.

Denzark
01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Fair one - I would love to as a tread head. But - I do not have 9 LR and, is this 1500pts? Even basic no sponson models will probably not leave me much for minimum Force org points - which I think is 70 (HQ Comm or Primaris) + 70 (Troops Vet) + 70 Troops Vet = 210 - and then they wouldn't be in armour unless I paid 2 x 55 points - so 320 to keep with everyone mounted...

SlavesToDarkness
01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
You DON'T have 9 Leman Russes?!? How can you call yourself a tread-head? For shame!

You could run 4 standards and 2 Demolishers (it's only 930pts).

Denzark
01-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Aiiieee the shame of it! I think there is 6 or 7 knocking around, 4 basilisk chassis, 2 hellhound, and probably 7 chimaera, plus couple of salamanders, and hydras, and one recovery tank!

Out of interest I took this list last night - subbed out 1 hydra for Marbo. Spearhead - annihilation versus Marines and inq - Gey knights, scouts+telion, LR, Thunderfire, Inq with gun warriors, Vindicare, Drop podding 10 man sternguard with combi meltas, Lysander.

I won 5-1 in KPs - the vindicare killed the vanq with 1 shot(!), Lysander charged a Devil Dog that had moved 12", got 2 sixes to hit and Marmalised it! Lysander took 6 multi laser shots, 2 multi-melta, 2 demolisher canon, 2 lascannon, 10 Primaris Psyker mind bullets and finally died to a 20 shot lasgun volley.

Happy days but have decided not enough depth for objective games so may tinker.

bob9801
01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I am fairly new to the game but am having fun playing guard. I have found that a devil dog with a MM is a no as effective as I had hoped. running 2 devil dogs you could probably use flamers for the hull weapons for when you get charged. I don't see much to do with the vanq if it dies as fast as it did every time. I have been waning to put pask in a vanq so the BS of 4 would help it land more hits but I haven't tried this out yet. I have to agree with unholy_martyr though about the additional gaurdsmen. they help out a lot if loaded out and handled properly.