PDA

View Full Version : taking the nids down

davel
01-17-2010, 02:54 AM
While the nid players are busy converting new tervigons from their old dakka fexes. It is up to us indigenous races of the galaxy to start coming up with counter measures.

I have been taking a look at the synapse rules and coming up with the following list to help me take advantage of the synapse rules.
In the last dex the synapse rules I felt did not match the fluff. Only 2 units (guants an homguants) needed the control of the hive mind. Every thing else had special rules or ld ten so was not concerned with it. Only monstrous creatures seemed to stay in it's range to avoid any uber instant death rules.
the new rules I am happier with for synapse that said a lot of the beasties do tend to do something sensible ( instead of sitting in the open drooling, which even though I know would make for a terrible game a small part of me was hoping for)

The following list I am hoping will
1) help me size up a nid army quickly ( is it reliant on hive mid or no)
2) decide what in that army I should be shooting at

Category 1 synapse (nuff said)
Hive tyrant
warriors all varieties
zanthopes
trygon prime
swarm lord
Para of mort

category 2 green list. these have either special rules, or high ld or are placed by and do something usfull with out synapse

tyrant guard
ravs
genes
lics
harpy
trygon
tyrano
mycetec
doom of mal
death leaper
ymgarl

category amber. this depends on the mission in the right situation the synapse rules can be used to get an advantage. eg homoguants in annihilate they will charge towards enemy with out synapse which is what they should be doing. How ever there are times when the nid player might want them to sit on an objective

homaguants
carnifex
hive guard
biovore
pyrovore
mawloc
old 1 I

category red these can be really messed up with out hive mind
term
gargs
venoms
rippers + sky

folow

ling disclaimers
1 this if pure theory hammer. Once I engage the nids and start rolling 1's I may have to revise the list.
2 this list is written from and eldar perspective (the correct perspectives)
This means that with biovores I,m happy to place a wave serpent close to it to keep my host safe. If you play foot slogger orks this may not be a option.

last thoughts
Best to put objectives out of cover in open as most nid troop will flee away(or simply do not like standing in the open)
cheap fast units would be good for leading away feeding units.

You thoughts welcome

dave l

Ordo
01-17-2010, 08:18 AM
yea. i play sapce wolves and i figured the best way to do it is get a maxed out unit of blood claws into close combat because of the sixty something dice u have to roll for hits wich can uaully take most guant broods. otherwise crusaders, vindicators, and grey hunters with lots of bolter fire are good for mopping up that a rune priest with jotw can come in handy real good

Master Bryss
01-17-2010, 08:18 AM
I play Space Marines a lot of the time and I'm incredibly happy that Monstrous Creatures are more important in the new Codex. Because I'm also a fan of Sternguard Vets and Sniper Scouts, and they LOVE monstrous beasts.

If they take care of bigger beasts, then I'll use blasts and templates to thin down the horde. Assault units in a Crusader/Redeemer will also do well, especially the Redeemer as it can flush out Lurking broods with flamestorms and also have a high enough Strength to be decent against most other beasts in the army.

Jwolf
01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
My IG pseudo-checklist:

1) Kill the Doom of Malan'tai before killing anything else.
2) Kill Zoanthropes next.
3) Kill Hive Guard and Tyranofexes.
4) Kill other MCs.

Kill lesser Nids as they present good targets; overall they aren't a threat until very close, then FRFSRF handles them.

Tervigons - If the mission is 2 or 3 objectives, these are second to the Doom on the kill list, and should be killed on turn 1 if possible. If 4 or 5 objectives, kill when neither Doom or Zoanthropes are threatening. If Kill points, kill them as normal MCs.

Unlighted
01-31-2010, 03:52 PM
S8 or better weaponry is a must have to take out all the T4 multi-wound Tyranids that are running around. They can now be insta-killed thanks to the changes in Synapse. You can watch your opponent's horrified face as you wipe the board of warriors, zoanthropes, venomthropes, and most special characters.

Also that heavy firepower is still very useful in taking down those monstrous creatures. If your army can field S8 Large Blast templates then you should be well on your way to piles of dead Tyranids.

SandWyrm
01-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Cover-denying weapons will be a must also for killing the lesser nids.

entendre_entendre
01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
well this checklist should make it easy:

BIG THINGS

1. Is it close to your guys (assault range next 1-2 turns)? y/n
1a. If yes, proceed to step 4
2. Does it have any ranged weapons? y/n
2a. Can these weapons hurt your units easily? y/n
2aI. If yes, proceed to step 4
3. Does this unit have any special abilities (paroxism, spawning, etc.)? y/n
3a. If yes, proceed to step 4
4. Shoot it with any available anti-tank weapons. Destroy one target before moving to the next unless you can take it down in assault.

SMALL THINGS

1. Is it close? y/n
2. Does the unit have a chance to kill a lot of your guys easily? (genestealers, etc.) y/n
3. Shoot with any anti-infantry weapons available. Only use high-strength weapons if all MC's are destroyed.

Majorcrash
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
played against nids for the first time in this ed. Had a chance to play a 1850pt game over the weekend. my opponent had a trygon ( the new big beasty), 20 genesteelers, a hive tryant w/t wings, 2 squads of 3 tyranid warriors, and a 20+ unit of termagants. the greater leaper (I think he was called). Besides the big nasty it seemed that what worked in the past works now. I was using my IG and its a flying mech, 3 vals, 2 vens, a hydra, 2 platoons with 2 sqds ea, 4 chimeras, cmd squad, 2 spc wpn squads, hvy wpn sqd w/t autocannons. Killing the Trygon and the hive tryant after that it was easy. game over by turn 4, nothing left by then. The scarest thing was 20 genesteelers.