PDA

View Full Version : War Prime - New 28mm Wargame

OnePageAnon
06-21-2014, 06:36 PM
So i have been talking to the devs for a few days now, and i am going to give my 2 cents on the matter.

As many have mentioned, right now the game looks like a bland 40k-clone, so i thought that the rules might be what would make this game different. After having read the rules however, i don't see what this game has going for it that the other hundreds of similar sci-fi games out there don't have. At the same time the devs seem to be very new to wargaming, and i am not sure that they know much about the wargaming scene or understand the difficulties of wargaming as a business.

Thus they are going to have to show something really impressive in this kickstarter to convince me that this is more than just another generic sci-fi wargame.

For those of you interested in the rules, i was asked not to show them in public, but right now they are almost a carbon-copy of the "aegis" house-rules. These were spawned from a "fixing-40k" thread on dakka 1-2 months ago: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/592293.page

Path Walker
06-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Just what the world needs, another 28mm scale sci fi wargame.

Love the idea that this new company will be able to make high quality plastic models for its game when other established companies struggle to afford the upfront costs for that.
Based on that one sentence alone, I'd say they don't know anything about what they're doing.

OnePageAnon
06-24-2014, 03:10 AM
*moved to OP*

euansmith
06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
The miniatures are rather reminiscent of the old big bag of Mutant Chronicles War Zone infantry available from Prince August; however, the ones being shown are "hi-quality" prints, so this perhaps doesn't bode too well for the finished product :( Oh, well, I'll just see how it turns out.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-26-2014, 01:38 AM
Nothing against these games, but man, a lot of these games I just honestly cannot tell apart at all - Along with Hi-tech's "Warhell", Scibor's stuff, Puppet war's stuff...it just all looks exactly the same to me. Do people really want so lots of games like this? Serious question btw, and I'm not intending on insulting or putting down others, just genuinely curious as it baffles me.

Path Walker
06-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Also, unless they have found some miraculous way to injection mold plastic that no one else knows about, their costings are way off, $9000 for manufacturing plastic models? Wouldn't even get you one mould machined, they're either being lied to by their manufacturers or they're going to be the pretty ****ty "Plastic Resin" like most Mantic stuff

Path Walker
06-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Also, unless they have found some miraculous way to injection mold plastic that no one else knows about, their costings are way off, $9000 for manufacturing plastic models? Wouldn't even get you one mould machined, they're either being lied to by their manufacturers or they're going to be the pretty ****ty "Plastic Resin" like most Mantic stuff

And there we go, they removed all mention of their models being plastic today and admitted there manufacturer is using a plastic-resin. Ah well, **** that noise.

Gotthammer
06-27-2014, 06:32 AM
You do realise that most plastics are resin? That GW uses a form of polystyrene which is a resin? And the kickstarter still says the minis are plastic? Because they are plastic, just not the extruded polystyrene model makers generally use as it's really expensive.

Path Walker
06-27-2014, 07:32 AM
You do realise that most plastics are resin? That GW uses a form of polystyrene which is a resin? And the kickstarter still says the minis are plastic? Because they are plastic, just not the extruded polystyrene model makers generally use as it's really expensive.

You do realise that when talking about miniatures, "plastic" has always meant injection moulded plastics, not a spincast resin?

Resin isn't a definite scientific term, its a loose one applied to lots of things, and in this industry specifically, it is usually applied to the types of material used in casting, rather than the hard plastics used for injection moulding. Calling something "Plastic" is purposefully misleading the customer, or, as they're claiming, unintentionally, because they didn't know. Which isn't good, how can you trust them to ship a miniatures game if they don't realise that polystyrene can't be spin cast? Or if they thought hard plastics, which they were originally claiming their models were until called out on their Kickstarter comments, could be cast for $9000?

They don't know what they're doing, they've half-arsed a rule set and thrown up some generic but well done concept artwork, then decided to let chumps front up the money while they try and figure out, what is to them, a completely new industry.