PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pod Scatters Off the Table?

Crotch Lictor
08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Quick one: Can a Drop Pod scatter off the table? I believe the codex says that if the scatter roll placed the pod over/in impassable terrain, it adjusts the scatter distance to be at the edge of the Impassable terrain, or something along those lines. But what if the roll scatters the pod off the table? Is "Off the table" counted as Impassable terrain? Does the pod come in at the table edge closest to the scatter result, or suffer a deep strike mishap?

Dingareth
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
There's nothing that says the table edge is Impassable Terrain, so you suffer a mishap as normal.

Crotch Lictor
08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
According to BRB Pg 13: Impassable terrain cannot be moved across or into.

So, I can see where someone might define off the table as impassable terrain. I'm all for having to use the mishap table, but my group is arguing that basically, if you use a drop pod, it will always end up on the table. Just seems a little unbalanced to me.

StrikerFox
08-03-2009, 04:22 PM
well personally i wouldnt consider it impassible terrain, although you are not able to go into it, etc.. but if you WERE to consider off the table that.. then necron wraits would be complete *******s!! XD

so in all seriousness, i would roll on the mishap table.
of course, its rare to even see that happen with a drop pod.. usually it stops due to intervening models, etc.

Arschbombe
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Impassable terrain is terrain that is actually on the table. Off the table is off the table and requires a roll on the mishap table. Pods are nice, but they don't guarantee not having a mishap.

BuFFo
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Impassable terrain is terrain that is actually on the table. Off the table is off the table and requires a roll on the mishap table. Pods are nice, but they don't guarantee not having a mishap.

He is correct.

If your pod goes off the table.... Its off to the mishap chart with ye!

Gorgar
08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Page 95 of the Rule Book

"Teleporting or dropping onto a crowded battlefield may prove extremely dangerous, as one may arrive miles
away from the intended objective or even inside solid rock! If any of the models in a deep striking unit
cannot be deployed because they would land off the table, in impassable terrain, on top of a friendly model,
or on top or within 1" of an enemy model, something has gone wrong. The controlling player must roll on the
deep strike Mishap table and apply the results."

So scattering off the table means a mishap.

Crotch Lictor
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
BAM! Ok. I guess I could bust that out if there's an issue. We're all friends in the group and as long as it's not breaking the game for us, I won't try and be a rules lawyer. I was the new guy coming into the group, so if it's their house rules, I'm cool with it.

Thanks, for all the input fellas.

Exlorn
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I have been playing my BA the wrong way without realizing it and not letting them scatter off the table. One of my friends found a discusion about this just this week and now my good times are over. They simply insist on using the rules even though it didn't bother them before.

You may like to let them know. I would rather they not go off the table but I'm really happier now that I'm playing them right. It depends on your group so you be the judge, but usually when we play something wrong it because we don't know, not because its a house rule. If they say they already knew then just roll with it.

Crotch Lictor
08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I did let them know and they're cool with playing it however we want, just so long as it's defined at the beginning of the game. It really is a good group.

chachi
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
It really is a good group.

Gee, thanks Miguel, I'm glad you don't think we're a bunch of buttheads! :D

Crotch Lictor
08-05-2009, 03:43 PM
LOL. At least not on this forum. :D

Grumpy Ripper
08-07-2009, 02:33 AM
its allways when ive played the edge of the table is treated as hole into the warp and if anything touches it it dies simple as that. With the drop pod i would still count it as destroyed and all contents dead due to crashing into a lake of lava or gotblown up on the way down etc..

Crotch Lictor
08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Wow. That's pretty harsh. So you don't ever use the Deep Strike Mishap Table?

Grumpy Ripper
08-08-2009, 04:26 AM
yeah thats why most people seem to allways deepstrike into the center of the table, with drop pods but we do use the mishap with deepstrikers.

doctorahhnold
12-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Folks please read the newest white Dwarf (WD359) In the article "tale of four gamers" under drop pod assault Neil states "Ive always been plagued by disastrous deep strike incidents so thats the big appeal of drop pods to me--squads in Drop pods dont suffer from mishaps caused by scattering off the board, dangerous terrain or enemy units in the same way as units that enter play by themselves"

I believe most of us have been playing this wrong for a long while and since this is GW's official magazine i know my local store is now playing this rule as it was intended.

DarkLink
12-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Folks please read the newest white Dwarf (WD359) In the article "tale of four gamers" under drop pod assault Neil states "Ive always been plagued by disastrous deep strike incidents so thats the big appeal of drop pods to me--squads in Drop pods dont suffer from mishaps caused by scattering off the board, dangerous terrain or enemy units in the same way as units that enter play by themselves"

I believe most of us have been playing this wrong for a long while and since this is GW's official magazine i know my local store is now playing this rule as it was intended.

No, whoever said this was got it wrong. White Dwarf is official publicity and such, but is in no way, shape or form actual rules. The actual rules are sufficient for this case.

The only situation that I have ever heard of where White Dwarf gave a definite rules answer was when the guy who actually wrote the SW codex said that you could take identical individual powers on Rune Priests (he used a list with Njal and three Rune Priests). And the only reason this has any credibility is because the source was the guy who wrote the codex, not because the source was White Dwarf.

doctorahhnold
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
the guy who stated it in the white dwarf works for GW and they have editors at the magazine that im sure would have corrected it if indeed it was an incorrect ruling. The fact of the matter is that nowhere in any rulebook does it indicate that drop pods are subject to deep strike mishaps. Period. And now seeing this in GW's OFFICIAL MAGAZINE i believe proves it.

Nabterayl
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
The fact of the matter is that nowhere in any rulebook does it indicate that drop pods are subject to deep strike mishaps. Period. And now seeing this in GW's OFFICIAL MAGAZINE i believe proves it.

Uh, just to be clear, nowhere in any rulebook does it indicate that assault marines are subject to deep strike mishaps, either. All that is indicated is that units that deep strike are subject to deep strike mishaps.

DarkLink
12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
the guy who stated it in the white dwarf works for GW and they have editors at the magazine that im sure would have corrected it if indeed it was an incorrect ruling. The fact of the matter is that nowhere in any rulebook does it indicate that drop pods are subject to deep strike mishaps. Period. And now seeing this in GW's OFFICIAL MAGAZINE i believe proves it.

Drop pods are protected only from certain types of mishaps, as mentioned earlier. The Table Edge is not Impassable Terrain. In fact, there are certain circumstances where you are allowed (or more specifically required) to move off the Table Edge, namely when falling back. Not to mention Reserves moving on to the board. This differentiates it from Impassable Terrain, especially since the Table Edge is never specified to be treated specifically as Impassable Terrain. There is no reason other than wishful thinking to believe that the board edge counts as Impassable Terrain.

Because the Table Edge does not count as Impassable Terrain, and the Drop Pod rules do nothing to protect them from scattering off the board edge, nor do Drop Pod rules grant any form of blanket protection against Mishaps. Drop Pods are still vulnerable to scattering off the board.

And a random GW employee's word does not count as rules, nor as an official ruling. If it was the guy who wrote the rules for Drop Pods, I'd believe him. Otherwise, no.

karandras
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Darklink is 1000% correct.