PDA

View Full Version : A question about Tyranid Drop Pods...er...spores.

Papa Nurgle
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Can these suckers be dropped empty? If so, can the unit still be kept in reserve and enter play via different means? Basically, can Genestealers take a Mycetic Spore, and then have it drop empty, meanwhile entering via their Outflank ability?

I use empty drop pods in my marine army to cause distractions and to triangulate positioning for other deepstriking units.

Drakkan Vael
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
There is nothing in the 'nids codex that prevents that. I even used that in a game against Imp, to prevent that the Zoas were shot down before they landed.

CaptainSinon
01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
remember you have to inform your opponent at the start of the game though (NOT WHEN THEY TURN UP!!!)

DarkLink
01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
You are allowed to deploy a unit normally and let the spore... er, spore in. Check out the Dark Angels FAQ, as they ask/answer this exact question there, only with drop pods.

Tynskel
02-05-2010, 05:46 PM
40k Rulebook has rules for dedicated transports. In short: you can deploy without them. No other unit may deploy in them. (exception is Independent Characters, but they must be attached to the squad that is in the spore.)

Funny side note: If you pick Mycetic Spores for your troops, they can claim because they are a Troop Choice! Yay!

Read all the rules, before you say no: They are a Monsterous creature that cannot move and has to shoot closest enemy- but there is Nothing stating they cannot claim.

HAH! Read All the rules: I guess I should follow my OWN advice. p.54 doesn't mention this, however, p. 90 says that they are a non-scoring unit! DOH!

AbusePuppy
02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
40k Rulebook has rules for dedicated transports. In short: you can deploy without them. No other unit may deploy in them. (exception is Independent Characters, but they must be attached to the squad that is in the spore.)

Funny side note: If you pick Mycetic Spores for your troops, they can claim because they are a Troop Choice! Yay!

Read all the rules, before you say no: They are a Monsterous creature that cannot move and has to shoot closest enemy- but there is Nothing stating they cannot claim.

Mycetic Spores are explicitly non-scoring.

Fizyx
02-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Except for the Codex on page 90 that states "Myceptic Spores are purchased as an addition to a Brood, but they are always treated as a separate, non-scoring unit."

Papa Nurgle
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
All the folks in my area are talking about how easy these things are to kill. They die instantly to a las cannon. I'm waiting for someone to ram one so I can death or glory them. :D

The other guy
03-01-2010, 03:49 AM
My opponent made the error of charging his orks in mega armour into a spore. Some good dice roles from me and he lost 2 nobs!
But my Spores do die very quickly. They are very useful for distracting opponants though. I landed a spore with 10 gaunts in next to an objective, and my opponent spent most of his shooting phase getting rid of them (not shooting my more killy units)

Papa Nurgle
03-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Everyone calls me crazy cuz I want to run 9 of them, blocking line of sight and distracting my opponent while my gargoyles move closer.

I ran a similar strategy with Drop Pods...and everyone hated it. :)

It's amazing how much damage you can do by causing your opponent to fire at a worthless target.

I plan on dropping the spores in front of them...with a trygon right behind it getting cover from the spore. Then Hive Guard behind them.

Gargoyles, and Hormagaunts scuttling across the field ready to assault as the Spores die.

gannam
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Everyone calls me crazy cuz I want to run 9 of them, blocking line of sight and distracting my opponent while my gargoyles move closer.

I ran a similar strategy with Drop Pods...and everyone hated it. :)

It's amazing how much damage you can do by causing your opponent to fire at a worthless target.

I plan on dropping the spores in front of them...with a trygon right behind it getting cover from the spore. Then Hive Guard behind them.

Gargoyles, and Hormagaunts scuttling across the field ready to assault as the Spores die.

Not a bad strategy cept for kill point games, you are giving up 9 kill points for 320 points. That seems like a disadvantage to you in 33% of the games you will be playing.

Papa Nurgle
03-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Not a bad strategy cept for kill point games, you are giving up 9 kill points for 320 points. That seems like a disadvantage to you in 33% of the games you will be playing.

Yeah...I'm still working on that.

BuFFo
03-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I love running over Spore Pods with my Tanks..... So much fun, and such easy kill points!