PDA

View Full Version : Guns of Navarone-1500pt Artillery Regiment

Unholy_Martyr
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I thought I'd be rather experimental the other day as I have ALOT of Chimera hulled Artillery (Mainly Basilisks that I am in the process of converting to Colossus mortars) and I wanted to try a list that was themed towards crushing artillery. This list is really just for fun mainly; however I could see it being pretty tough to beat.

H.Q.

Company Command Squad:
Vox Caster, Autocannon, Master of the Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet -125

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad:
Vox Caster, Autocannon, Commissar,Power Weapon x2, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (Haven't Decided) -105

Infantry Squad:
Vox Caster,Power Weapon, Autocannon, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (See Above) -75

Infantry Squad:
Power Weapon, Autocannon, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (See Above) -70

Infantry Squad:

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad:
Vox Caster, Autocannon, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (Haven't Decided) -45

Infantry Squad:
Vox Caster, Autocannon, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (See Above) -65

Infantry Squad:

Infantry Squad:
Autocannon, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (See Above) -60

Infantry Squad:

Heavy Support:

2x Medusa:
Enclosed Crew Compartment, Hull Heavy Flamer -300

2x Colossus:
Enclosed Crew Compartment, Hull Heavy Flamer -310

Manticore:
Hull Heavy Flamer -160

Total:1510

I realize I am 10 points over but I can play with that a little bit over the coming week. I haven't been able to decide as to whether I should go with Grenade Launchers or Flamers for the Infantry Squads, I was thinking for the Blob I would go for Flamers just to guarantee when the assaulting force hits, their numbers will be thinned out nicely. For the ranged squad I would probably give Grenade Launchers for the "Reach out and touch someone feeling". The idea is to combine all of the squads so that there is at least one Vox Caster between them, the Officer of the Fleet counteract the pesky Reserve Roll bonuses of the new bugs and preventing wretched out flanking. With the big guns just pounding away on the bad guys.

Comments and Criticisms are yours for the posting.

Lord Azaghul
01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Well for starters I’d recommend dropping the voxcasters. I just don’t see much value in them in this ed. I think you’d be better off using the odd points on a melta or 3.

GL vs flamer: I’ve been using flamers myself for quite a while, but lately I’ve been debating on switching over to GL’s, mainly because I’ve been incorporating AC in my 10 man squads, and it makes for a nice ranged option.

Overall I like the shear volumn of troops, however I think your army could benefit from some sort of outlflanking element. Sentinals or Penal Legions are nice cheap options.

Good movie by the way!

Unholy_Martyr
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm quite a fan of the Vox Casters because almost all of the units remain static and I love to pour the fire on using the orders such as Bring it Down! and First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire. 3 Twin-Linked Autocannons or ~90 Lasgun Shots to the face is rather difficult to pass up.

Outflanking is a possibility; however, I've built this on the idea of hammering the enemy and wearing them down in an attrition style battle. This list will have a miserable time with objective style missions unless I can destroy my opponents outright, but with the amount of firepower I can unleash with no Line of Sight I think I'll manage. Maybe in a 2000 point list I'd toss in some gunsships with Veterans for the Outflank option.

gcsmith
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
wow my nid list doesnt seem that good against that, but thing is if i get near, i get near and boy will u feel it, specially with a death leaper in ur face :p

Unholy_Martyr
01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I was concerned slightly about Death Leapers and Marbo types, I think if I turtle the Artillery in a corner and space it right, I can deny Deep Strikes and other surprises. But I'll play test it on a few Deep Strike and "In your face forces" to see where it goes.

Chumbalaya
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't put Commissars in a PCS, they fit better in infantry units.

I'd set up both platoons to be shooty, but with a commissar, a vox, and as many power weapons as you can fit so they can fight in assault. It's somewhat of a waste to be sitting around waiting for assault, so you may want to run them up. Adding autocannon HWS preserves your ranged firepower while letting your infantry move up.

I'd go for 2 Medusas and call it a day. Look into Chimeras for your PCS and use them to provide cover. If you need to kill infantry off, Hellhounds would be handy. The Collossus is neat, but your army needs to bust up heavy armor more than anything.

Unholy_Martyr
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Another iteration of the list based on the results from the most recent video battle report. I think Straken would perform especially well in an environment like this with units begging for the assault.

H.Q.

Company Command Squad:
Colonel Straken, Vox Caster, Autocannon, Master of the Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet -220

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad:
Vox Caster, Commissar,Power Weapon x2, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (Haven't Decided) -95

Infantry Squad:
Vox Caster,Power Weapon, Autocannon, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (See Above) -75

Infantry Squad:

Infantry Squad:

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad:
Vox Caster, Grenade Launcher or Flamer (Haven't Decided) -40

Infantry Squad:

Infantry Squad:

Infantry Squad:

Heavy Support:

2x Medusa:
Enclosed Crew Compartment, Hull Heavy Flamer -300

2x Colossus:
Enclosed Crew Compartment, Hull Heavy Flamer -310

Manticore:
Hull Heavy Flamer -160

Total:1525

Agian, I'm over by quite a few points now but I can play some more around with it. I think that if I'm going to turtle, I may as well give my guardsmen the ability to put up a decent fight. With the first wave of assaulters impacting the power weapon blob, I would be getting 20 S4 I4 Power Weapon attacks and 90 S4 I4 regular attacks. I think that buffs up the "You should think twice before jumping in this" feeling.

Unholy_Martyr
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
At 1500 points, my concerns for facing 2 or more AV14 vehicles are fairly low. With the Manticore and Medusas I'm almost guaranteed to take care of Heavy Armor threats from the get go. In my area, everyone digs into cover deeper than a tick, and I want to flush them out; thus the Colossus.

For some reason I thought the Commissar could only be in the Platoon Command Squad, I'll move him at a later date.

I may consider the Heavy Weapons squads; however, this detracts from the overall number of bodies which is really necessary when Turtling around a base of Heavy Artillery that anyone will try to Outflank or Deep Strike into.

Chimeras are cover seem rather redundant. The Guardsmen are there as meat shields for the big guns, and I am not that fond of the "Overglorified Taxi of the Imperium" being in a static force.

Chumbalaya
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I'd say that Medusas and Hellhounds are better for flushing peeps out than 2 squadrons. You can engage more targets, require your opponent to dedicated more shooting into them, and overall it ends up cheaper.

Infantry can't block for an artillery tank, but Chimeras can (and are rather cheap).

Unholy_Martyr
01-20-2010, 04:24 PM
When I said that Chimeras were redundant, that statement was because I will be holding the majority of the Artillery behind terrain as it does not require Line of Sight. While the Medusa does, giving Chimeras as cover is a double edged sword. Sure it obscures the Medusa from enemy fire, but the Chimera works the same way with me shooting my enemy.

Engaging more targets is nice and all but the end result is that the only way to really guarantee a kill now is target saturation. Sure 1 Medusa may kill off a whole squad of Terminators, but 2 definitely will. I've gone with the "attack from all angles" approach before and I've found that while it allows for more mobility and flexibility, those two are discounted over their inability to outright destroy a target.