PDA

View Full Version : How to Run a Tournament

Liazardman
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Hey all, Thought i would seek out the knowledge of the vets out there.

My friends and I are from an area that has almost no developed gaming scene. Ya we have a GW and a LGS but there isn't anything in terms of competiton.

The FLGS runs a small 14player limit tourney every month or so but its rather archaic (painting score, sportsman score (based on how friendly you are), battle score). Awards are best sportsman, best general, best painting. At best its poorly run, at worst the person running it isn't even around. There is no limits no hold barred put down whatever you want and thats ur army.

In Co-operation with the store we are looking a running a small tourney but in a more official sense. No more of walk in with whatever you want (big complaints are special characters, spam, hax combos). you actually have to have the models etc.

We have been looking at various tourney rules to use and at introducing a comp system.

This is our big issue. The DogCon system is reguarded as to heavy where as most others we are finding fail to address issues such as magic spam and monster/warmachine spam/ (1 actually said You cannon have more the 3 stegs, or 6 warmachines etc.)

Anyone know how to go about this?

sonsoftaurus
01-19-2010, 08:47 PM
What I normally see at small events that have painting and comp scores is that only the players who actually play against an army score it, or the event judge(s) score it.

What I think I'd rather see is if there are painting and comp scores is allow time at the start for everyone to scope out everyone's army and skim the lists (clear, readable list a necessity) and then have each player score all the armies. Give them a sheet to score painting and comp for Army A -> Army whatever. Depending on your scoring setup add up all the scores or average them. If you get some *** who obviously lowballs armies, throw his scores out, refund his money and tell him to have a nice day somewhere else. :p

Any comp restrictions the organizers put in will be pretty arbitrary, and hurt some armies/builds more than others. And it won't stop powergamers. They'll just take your system, realize that all those banned things can't be used against THEM, and build new power lists in the vacuum created using things you didn't think to ban.

Once you have the player-generated comp soores you can then take it a step further, using those scores to determine initial pairings. Low comp scores play each other, high comp scores play each other.

ggg
01-20-2010, 07:01 AM
The best 40k tournament I have attended was at Bristol, the Bristol Vanguard Club's 'Vanquish Tournament. ' http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk/BV/Vanquish_2010_Build_Up.html

Their rules pack and tournament structure was ideal for me. Last year they did not play the annihilation mission but played a variation of the old take and hold.

I think the key is hard work on the part of the tournament organisers.

Tacoo
02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Iv particapated i a few tourneys, and so far the bes system i have seen is this
Clear List required

Point losses for OTP builds/playing (as in spamming certain spells, or upgrades)
a classic example is this (this is from 40k btw), the top ranking in the tourney was a Saim-hann(sp?) themed list that didnt have a seer counil. he didnt win all his games, but his models were painted on a very high quality, he didnt even complain once when he was gettin his army destroyed, just sorta joked around, and was over alla cool person to play with. sure there was Battle wagon spam, Nob Bikers, Melta/PBS IG, but they didnt win the tourney since they were trying to be so competetive that for there enemy, it made the game loose its fun.

Points for clear knoladge of the rules (they dont have to know all the rules in each army book, but if they rarly ever check the main rule book during there games is enough usually)

Perhaps a award for the most fluffy army

large/no time limits, this way more themed armies are allowed in, biggest reason in 40k that u dont see 120+ boyz, or uge gun lines of infantry is that there is a time limit, and movement would take so long that it isint even worth it to bring it since the game would end before there done playing from the time limit.

Btw, i havent been ploaying fantasy too long so i cant help to much for more specific things, but that was the gest of it.

RocketRollRebel
02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
I dont play WHFB much at all but there is an upcoming tourny at my local gaming store and they are trying an alternate scoring rubric to kinda try and balance things out. Heres what was proposed. Check it out if u think it would maybe help you.

So we're throwing ideas around dealing with the composition score for the upcoming Fantasy Singles tournament. We've decided that Comp will be a quarter of the overall score, split up among opponent scoring and a Comp Rubric assigned to the players, since they must submit their army list early. In one proposed scoring system we're doing 100 points, of which Comp comprises 25. 9 will go to Opponent scoring (0-3 points possible each round). The Rubric will take up 16 points. All players start with 16 points and 2 points will be deducted for every one of these criteria below is taken. If by some extreme amount of effort you submit a list that would score a zero under this rubric, your list will be returned to you as rejected. Your Comp Rubric score counts towards your overall score, and will also help determine First Round pairing.

Fantasy Comp Rubric
Players start with 16 points, and lose two points each for every one of the following criteria:
- The Army has two instances of the same unit choice found in the Rare section of the army book.
- The Army has three instances of the same unit choice found in the Special Section of the army book.
- There are two or more choices in this army that start the game with the Terror Special Rule.
- There are two or more choices in this army that start the game with the Flying Special Rule.
- This army can begin their first magic phase generating more than seven Power Dice.
- This army features a 'Scroll Caddy,' that is, a Level 1 or 2 Wizard that carries two Dispel Scrolls. Runesmiths count.
- This army is, in the opinion of the Tournament Organizers, an example of a 'Cookie Cutter' or 'Internet' list.
- This army features more than three War Machines.

Before coming back with comments or questions, please read the wording of these Rubric points carefully. There is, you might notice, a matter of opinion on this list, and you can bet that the TOs know a lot of examples of 'Cookie Cutter' or 'Internet' lists.

There was a bit of discussion on it too. I cant seem to make a link work (I'm like an old dude when it comes to computer stuff sorry) but you can look up the thread on our gaming club's forum (http://www.arvardardboyz.com/) and its under WHFB "Proposed Comp Rubric".

Hope this helps!