PDA

View Full Version : Transportation and Storage...

Mr Mystery
07-09-2014, 08:36 AM
How do?

So having started collecting a couple of weeks back, I now have a fair few ships, 16 in total including the Tantive IV.

Which also means I have a great deal of cards and paraphenalia to go along with it.

But how best to store these? Currently I'm making good use of the zip lock bags that came with each ship, to keep all their markers and dials and what not together, the dials allowing me to tell which ship has which bag. So far so good, as these currently all fit into the core set box (turned the plastic inner tray upside down. Damn that open window on the lid!).

The ships and stands however? Well, bugger!

Recommendations please folks!

pgarfunkle
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm a big fan of KR cases you can store all your ships ready to fly, not the cheapest storage but my favourite. Lots of others seem to use Plano style boxes to store the ships

clively
07-09-2014, 03:46 PM
I'd say to start here: http://us.battlefoam.com/categories/New-Items/

kellyj
07-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Battlefoam PACK cases have issues. If you carry them by the handle, the top canvas separates at the seams. BFs suggestion is to pay a seamstress to re-sew it (really...something I had for less than 2 weeks is coming apart and they tell you to go pay someone else to repair their product??? Not even GW blows you that hard)

As for what to use...I find the Plano series to work best. The separate compartments are the exact size of most ships (holding both the ship and its dial) and the larger sections hold templates and bigger ships with ease. They can cost anywhere from $4 at the Home Despot (a single tray that can be configured to your needs) up to $50 at Walmart (a full tackle type box with 3-4 trays plus side and top compartments).
Very sturdy and very lite.
http://www.planomolding.com/subCategory.php?CID=110

PalinMoonstride
07-10-2014, 12:56 AM
"I find the Plano series to work best."
http://www.planomolding.com/subCategory.php?CID=110

I second this statement and I have a LOT of little spaceships! Two large cases pretty much fit everything I have.

Deadlift
07-10-2014, 01:06 AM
I use Battlefoam and had no issues with the cases, I have various different foam trays which I swap in and out depending on what I'm using the case for, 40k or X-Wing. Mainly X-Wing truth be told.

Mr Mystery
07-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Cool.

Any alternatives to Battlefoam? I've heard some horror stories about their concept of international packaging, such as foam trays being squished and stuffed into a jiffy bag. And they threatened to sue another company making laser cut foam trays, because apparently they did it first?

Deadlift
07-10-2014, 05:07 AM
KR is the other one that springs to mind, eBay seems to always have loads on there. I've ordered quite a bit from the Battlefoam UK site and had no issues with packaging.

Mr Mystery
07-10-2014, 05:17 AM
Cool.

Those were some years ago, so seems likely they've sorted themselves out.

Ben_S
07-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Another option is to buy some foam and make your own:

http://creativetwilight.com/making-your-own-foam-trays/

http://www.houseofpaincakes.com/2011/02/gaming-on-budget-cheap-foam-trays.html

http://warbuilder.wordpress.com/2010/10/02/diy-make-your-own-foam-miniatures-trays/

vharing
07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I have a box that I used to use for warhammer bits to keep the tokens in. I am looking in to a card binder with side load pockets for the cards. I saw one guy use a tackle box to keep all his stuff, course that was before the huge ships.

tiamat79
07-11-2014, 05:50 AM
they don't fit the Tie defenders at the moment, and they never respond to my emails, but the KR foam sets, when the arrive are great

kuffdaddy
07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I really like my battle foam for my ships, on the other hand the cards and templates and tokens the BF tray is god awful. I went to target and got tray stackers. they are expandable and $9 for two as my collection expands I can just add more bins to the bottom of it

JMichael
07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
I magnetized the bases of my ships and use Star Wars lunch tins from Amazon.
The pics show my first one. I now have a much larger Empire Strikes Back one for my Imperials that even fits Slave I along with all of my other ships.

Wils7
07-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I like this idea. Only problem is you quickly need more than just a few boxes. I've done a similar idea with my 40K army where I put magnets on the bases, then added metal to the bottom of Plano boxes for them to stick to. That works pretty well.

kellyj
07-14-2014, 09:32 PM
That would work great for a Tournament setup. Your bringing a set number of ships and cards so you don't need anything huge. Plus the "Star Wars" box just matches the theme. And its small enough to fit in your carry-on in the event your flying to an event (keeping the grubby TSA hands OFF your very pilferable toys in the baggage area).
Consider this idea LOOTED!!!! (yep, my 40K inner Ork is coming out again)

bigfatfred
07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
I am a cheap-skate so - for UK players -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/product/3884823/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK%7CShopping-_-Google+PLA-_-Stanley%7CCompartment+Boxes-_-3884823&kpid=&istCompanyId=f7e7b05b-2daf-4c0e-8825-3633baf8113b&istItemId=xitmqqipx&istBid=tztx&gclid=CO_RjP37x78CFdPLtAodeU8Apw

The inserts come out so the case is flexible. A bit of bubble-wrap and you are sorted.

Brenlak
08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Game plans cancelled today so I spent the time indulging my O.C.D. by filling my new X-Wing Tackle box.
It features a top and bottom layer, as you can see, with all the tokens, rules, dice (the stuff you need during play) on the top level. With the lower housing upgrade cards, movement dials, objectives for missions (all the stuff you take out to play, so I can keep the bottom closed and have the top opened during play). I use these Plano boxes all the time for bits, they work great, but it must be noted FF provides you with enough small ziploc bags you can easily separate your components (or start trafficking).

gredert
08-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Daredhnu
08-18-2014, 08:09 AM
currently using the starter set box as well as the millenium falcon and slave one boxes to transport all my ships and counters etc.

it fits neatly but it's getting a tad bit unwieldy to take to friends, though it's not too bad just yet, still fits in my backpack.
though if i want to take the Tantive IV along then i'll need a extra box to put it in, so i tend not to transport that thing too much.

Mr Mystery
08-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Sorted mine with my GW Tool Case. Thanks to the spacings, I've even put my CR-90 in it with no fuss.

I've also separated out all the various tokens into their own bags. Trying to keep all the tokens for a single ship together was too much like hard work. This way, when I need a token, I just grab the right bag and I'm done!

Daredhnu
08-18-2014, 09:19 AM
oh yeah i've also sorted all tokens by type into those handy plastic bags so kindly provided by FFG

it would have been an absolute nightmare if i had tried to keep everything sorted by ship :p

trust me, once your collection reaches a certain size you'll need to have everything sorted by type, it's not just simpler during play, it's also so much easier when you're cleaning up after.

Brenlak
08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Got to Use my Tackle box setup this weekend, having things sorted is the only way to go ( I own FF Twilight Imperium and WoW boardgame, I don't even want to imagine what they would look like just thrown into the box). I found it was easiest to have a bowl of tokens and a bowl of target locks near the play area, that way they were always at hand but still simple to sort back into the proper places after.

Today's task was putting protective covers on all the cards, all in all around 250 little cards and 200 of the large ones (I also save the reference cards and slide them in double sided until I get four of each). I have to admit I'm not 100% on the small card protectors. I bought the FF brand ones and unlike the ultra pro ones I bought for the larger cards they don't sit flat and therefore make very precarious piles.