PDA

View Full Version : Making a narrative campaign

thewiikendwarrior
07-10-2014, 10:05 PM
SO right now I am trying to make a narrative campaign much like Paridiso but with more of a narrative story line where in game actions have rewards and consequences.

I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this outside of Corvis Belli. And if so what did you do and how did you balance playability and narrative?

charliemachina
07-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Look here: http://goingoncampaign.blogspot.co.uk/

The GW Crusade of Fire campaign groups armies together into factions effectively The Good (Imperial), The Bad (Chaos), The Ugly (Other) to simplify who can fight who.

I find the trick is to get people playing games and keep them playing games. If people can accrue victory points that they can spend to advance the narrative then the narrative will largely take care of itself.

If you set up a facebook group this will allow people to arrange games themselves, disrespect each others warlords and form alliances etc.

Once everyone is into it arrange campaign events like apocalypse games etc.

I once made a campaign with plot cards, special characters, location rules, a map, strategy cards and loads of other rules and the complexity just proved a barrier to play.

Try and introduce one or two elements to assist the narrative but above all keep it simple and get people playing games.

zreef
07-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Look here: http://goingoncampaign.blogspot.co.uk/

The GW Crusade of Fire campaign groups armies together into factions effectively The Good (Imperial), The Bad (Chaos), The Ugly (Other) to simplify who can fight who.

I find the trick is to get people playing games and keep them playing games. If people can accrue victory points that they can spend to advance the narrative then the narrative will largely take care of itself.

If you set up a facebook group this will allow people to arrange games themselves, disrespect each others warlords and form alliances etc.

Once everyone is into it arrange campaign events like apocalypse games etc.

I once made a campaign with plot cards, special characters, location rules, a map, strategy cards and loads of other rules and the complexity just proved a barrier to play.

Try and introduce one or two elements to assist the narrative but above all keep it simple and get people playing games.

I am working on an Infinity one. It is still rough around the edges, but it has gotten some good feedback. Take a look if you are interested.

http://infinitythegame.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17987-a-wip-campaign-setting/

thewiikendwarrior
07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Your campaign book is quite impressive sir! I am play testing the first scenario on Saturday. I see you took the route of using the fluff to guide your story, which is really awesome by the way. I am taking a little more fictitious route and creating a whole new chapter to the Infinity Saga.

As of right now I only have the story and the first mission in working order. Mine is more of a survival horror game.