PDA

View Full Version : Scenario play - let's get creative!

Mr Mystery
07-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Good evening all!

Just wondering if anyone has written any scenarios for X-Wing, and whether you'd be willing to care and share :)

Once I've got more of a handle on things, I fancy writing one involving the capture of a CR-90. Could be potentially played by either party.

kellyj
07-12-2014, 11:01 PM
More of a fun thing to use cross-faction ships...Steal the Shuttle.
Start with an Omicron Lamda with no upgrades allowed (you did just swipe it afterall). Then fill in the rest of the Rebel fleet with the remaining points.
Your opponent gets 100 points of Imps and starts ALL in a 1x1 box in his left corner. The Imperial Player has 1 objective...collect intelligence. To collect Intel he must get a ship across the board to the opposite (diagonal) 1x1 corner, stay 1 full turn, then get any ship that satisfied those conditions back to his corner. The Rebel Player has 1 mission...kill the Imps.
Note: For game balance the rebel fleet is NOT allowed to enter within 1 range of the 1x1 box...no base sitting.
If the Rebels kill the Imps, the shuttle gets away and the Endor Op succeeds. If the Imp Player wins the Endor Plans are discovered and the entire rebel fleet is destroyed.

kellyj
07-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Another fun one we just did the other night.
4 Players. 40 points each. Small ships only. MUST use 1 named character. Each Player starts in a 1x1 corner. Extra rocks...we used 3 sets of asteroids. YMMV.
5 points for each damage you do to a ship, 10 extra for delivering the kill shot. Points/ships lost by non-combat (hitting rocks, etc) go to the ether.
10 bonus points for being the sole survivor. Winner is the one with the most total points.

Tyrendian
07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
an idea we had, but that hasn't gotten fleshed out yet, is to somehow make the asteroids move, probably "left to right" as opposed to from player's board edge to the others, but that would depend on the situation you have in mind. Some random element would have to be integrated into their movement, maybe by random choice of movement template used (like straight 1 and bank 1 to either side of the general direction of movement). Rock movement should probably be either before selecting your maneuver or, if you want even more chaos and random crashes, after all ships have moved.
As a variant of that, one might even play a kind of survival game, without shooting each other but trying to avoid contact with the rocks for as long as possible - ideally this would be done "swimming against the stream"...

Mr Mystery
07-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Oddly, my opponent today suggested just the same thing!

I reckon perhaps a scatter dice used, and a '1' movement in that direction? Treat them as Pilot Skill 0, so they go before everyone else?

Tyrendian
07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
as I said, I'd move them before the planning phase, so that you at least have a chance to avoid them using your skill and not get randomly screwed quite as much, even if that captures the chaos of an asteroid field less well... also depends on what you want to do with the rules of course, if chaos and random screwage is what you want it's ideal :)

Mr Mystery
07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I think I'd prefer the danger :)

Though perhaps have a fixed direction for each asteroid from the beginning of the game

kellyj
07-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Scatter 1 looks pretty doable. Unless you have a GW scatter dice...roll a d6. Whatever direction the "1" is facing is the direction the rock moves (if the "1" is face down/up, then the rock remains where it is). When the rock gets to the board edge it just stays their until a scatter gives it a move along the edge or towards the middle again.
Even if you scattered them before movement, you will need to decide what happens if a rock scatters onto where your ship is currently at.

Mr Mystery
07-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Simples - I'd treat it as if the ship had parked on the asteroid.

With any luck, this should help replicate the shenanigans seen in Empire Strikes Back - though ideally with the naughty Rebels dying, instead of the good guys.