PDA

View Full Version : The Bells and Whistles sourcing....

Mr Mystery
07-16-2014, 02:54 PM
So, you've got your ships. And you've got your pilots. And you've got your token. And you've got your opponents.

But....OH NO! HERE COMES STINKY McLUMMOX WITH HIS HAM LIKE HANDS!

Smell him approach.

Hear him mouth breath.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Xq-catM6hAg/maxresdefault.jpg

Look on in horror as unbidden, his sweaty, greasy hands reach out for your spangly little ship....neatly snapping the flying stand. Probably in multiple places.

http://lifecameraction.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/darth-vader-nooooo.jpg

Buggizzle! What to do, what to do!

Well, quite possibly Mr Mystery to the rescue. Found these during a half-bored browse of Attack Wing stuff on Gameslore.com (http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Star_Trek_Attack_Wing_Red_Faction_Base_Set.html ).

Yes folks, replacement stands and pegs. And being Wizkids, thus licensed from FFG, these should be hunky dorey for X-Wing as well. They come in Red, Purple, Blue and Green.

Could also come in handy for multiplayer games, as you can pick a different colour to remind yourself which ships are yours.

Nifty eh?

Also, spare clear flying stands from Wings of Glory, also from FFG (http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Wings_of_Glory_Bag_of_100_Flight_Stands.html)

Brenlak
07-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Beauty!! Multiplayer games or even to remember squads, gotta admit my rebel scum especially; I have thought about painting different colors on them to match actual ships, ( I call it GW hobby syndrome, you look at a beauty of a mini and say "I could do so much with that") but with these I could call off the hounds (At least for a couple weeks). I'm reading the FF book Edge of the Empire (So far it looks like a really unique roleplay game) and you could also use these for an array of different things, from which characters you allocate a boost die to overall NPC attitude towards the party.

kellyj
07-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Or you grab Stinky's hand in a wrist-lock and give him a stern rebuke in the etiquette of asking permission prior to grabbing (along with any required hygiene tips). Unless Stinky is the Unaccompanied Gamestore Kid...then a forceful warning should suffice.

Mr Mystery
07-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Still have to replace the knacked stand and possibly base :)

Didn't think of using them to remind you of Squadrons!

Patrick Boyle
07-17-2014, 08:42 AM
As a note, the non-standard bases are certainly not going to fly for official events, and there's probably a not insignificant subset of players who'd be leery of playing with them. If they're at all different in shape from FFG's X-wing bases in particular. Are the pegs actually compatible with X-wing models?

Mr Mystery
07-17-2014, 12:50 PM
I assume so. They're for Attack Wing, which is a licensed variant of X-Wing.

May get a pack to play with.

Chris McNeil
07-18-2014, 08:37 PM
As a note, the non-standard bases are certainly not going to fly for official events, and there's probably a not insignificant subset of players who'd be leery of playing with them. If they're at all different in shape from FFG's X-wing bases in particular. Are the pegs actually compatible with X-wing models?

I have a set of the green bases that i use for my imperial ships. The bases are slightly larger than the clear X-wing models due to the beveled edges and the fitment does work but not perfect. Just dont push the ship all the way onto the top peg. It's a very tight fit. Other than those two items they are good and makes me feel like my fleet looks better.

Kernbanks
07-19-2014, 06:40 AM
The attack wing bases I've seen don't have tue little dimples for the maneuver tempkate instead they recessed the notch into the base. I know a guy who uses them and it is anoying since those sometimes cause the bump for no action and his ships don't have them. That also makes flying the pinwheel just a little bit easier.

Mr Mystery
07-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Ah, gotcha.

Definitely a no-no for competitive play then.

But for the actual pegs of the stands, I think these are still worth it. After all, the actual height of the peg makes no difference to game play, as collision are based on the, erm, base.

Certainly until FFG offer replacements for sale, these seem the next best thing :)

Brenlak
07-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Those two games seem to borrow heavily from each other, I don't know which is on top; but judging from reviews X-wing has not only better quality models, but also a scale that attack wing just decides to throw out the window. So the bases are bigger, but because you put the pilot card on the base isn't the fire arc the same? So my colored bases have a bigger footprint (Little easier to hit) and it's only good for me if I'm trying to collide. Why would you argue against me taking these? I think there cool.

Deadlift
07-21-2014, 01:26 AM
I've heard of FFG sending out free replacements when asked, including pegs and movement dials. Over on the official FFG X-Wing forums, many of the posters seem to agree on this. FFG support is very very good when dealing with broken, missing items.

Mr Mystery
07-21-2014, 04:04 AM
I'll order a bag of them with my next few ships, as Gameslore will be getting that order anyway.

Once received, I'll put up some photos in my patented crap-o-vision, and let others draw their own conclusions :)

And good spot about FFG being good about replacements Deadlift :)

Patrick Boyle
07-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Those two games seem to borrow heavily from each other, I don't know which is on top; but judging from reviews X-wing has not only better quality models, but also a scale that attack wing just decides to throw out the window. So the bases are bigger, but because you put the pilot card on the base isn't the fire arc the same? So my colored bases have a bigger footprint (Little easier to hit) and it's only good for me if I'm trying to collide. Why would you argue against me taking these? I think there cool.

Probably because people would prefer to play with the correct components. Pegs is one thing, who cares, but non-standard bases do alter the game. You say they make you easier to hit if they're bigger, but going the other direction that also means it gives you more range than you'd otherwise have. That's even assuming Attack Wing bases/pegs are compatible with X-wing pegs/ships, I don't even know. I'm always a tiny bit leery of non-FFG acrylic movement templates too, unless I can check them against the original cardboard ones. There were some out there that weren't quite right, and that again alters the game.

And that's all assuming you're just playing pickup games. As already said, any FFG event(Game nights(if the organizer is actually following the rules), store tournament kit events, any competitive season event(store, regional, etc. championships)) they're not going to fly period.

Brenlak
07-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Probably because people would prefer to play with the correct components.

Curse your superior logic! That's airtight, brah. But I can still use the colored pegs so it's all good. I'm gonna wait to see what Mystery has to say about these before I order anyway. My local store is pretty chill about stuff like this, it's more down to players (For other games at least, haven't played X-wing there yet).

Or you grab Stinky's hand in a wrist-lock and give him a stern rebuke in the etiquette of asking permission prior to grabbing

Stinky (we fondly refer to him as short pants) is the only one I would worry about, the player who is going to comment about it when it is in my favor (and quietly forget when it's in his) at the least, or want to argue because short pants has to prove he's right all the time, just bring the clear ones with you too, and tell short pants to buy some pit-stick or go bac, there's a crackhead outside trying yo steal a bike, excuse me

Brenlak
07-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Anyways my point was I would just bring both style of bases with me just in case my opponent wasn't on board with them.