PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Nid army

Ghoulio
01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Like everyone else I am trying to get a handle on the new Tyranid book. I have been fiddling around with different lists trying to make something that will be competitive for tournaments. Here is my first crack at it:

HQ
- Tyrant w/ Heavy VC, Bonesword, Lashwhip, Hive Commander, Paroysm and life leech

Elites
- Zoanthropes (2) - Drop Pod
- Hive Guard (3)

Troops
- Warriors (6) - 5xDeathspitters, 1 Barbed Stranglers, Scything Talons
- 2 x Termagaunts (15)
- Hormagaunts (30)
- Genestealers (15+Broodlord)

Heavy Support
Trygon
Carnifex Brood (2) - MC Twin Linked Devourer, Stranglethorn Cannon

2000pts right on the dot

I am going to do my best to try and use the Fex's and the Genestealers together since the broodlord has that -1 LD psychic power (so -2 LD checks to break vs. the devourers, -1 vs pinning if he can get close). I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to make the Fex's decent and I think this weapon load out is one of the better ones (12 str 6 twin linked shots and 2 x Str 6 ordinance from the two = a lot of wounds). Any suggestions on how to improve this list would be mucho appreciated :)

bigrob281
01-23-2010, 09:47 PM
i don't think its optimal but i think its a good fun list did yoou playtest it yet i'd like to hear how it does

Ghoulio
01-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, one of my friends pointed out that the Broodlords Aura of Despair (the -1 LD bubble power) lasts from your assault phase to the end of your opponents turn...so you can't use it. Sigh, another thing to throw on the pile of stupidly worded things in this book. Anyways, with that in mind I made a small adjustment to the list, I think this one will play better.

HQ
Hive Tyrant - Heavy VC, Bonesword, Lashwhip, Hive Commander + his two psychic powers

Elites
Zoanthropes (2) - Mycetic Spore
Hive Guard (3)

Troops
Warriors (5) - 4 x Deathspitters, 1 Barbed Strangler
Termagaunts (15x2)
Tervigon - Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst, Cluster Spines
Hormagaunts (30) - Toxin Sacs
Genestealers (15+Broodlord)

Heavy Support
Trygon Prime
Carnifex w/ Twin Linked MD Devourers, Stranglethorn Cannon

I think this will works a bit better. Still learning what everything does in the new book as I keep finding out that things just dont work like I think they should. Most games I will try to Deep Strike the Trygon on the side of the board that the Horms come out on (due to hive commander). I think that has a lot of potential.

I did try something similar to this and I have to say that the Stealers are rockstars. Having a huge unit like that is amazing..freaking love it. I tried a Carnifex Brood with 2 fexs that have Scything Talons and a Stranglethorn cannon...didnt do much. I think with some direct shooting weapons plus the ordinance he will be much more reliable. If I find out they dont work all that well I might just invest in a second trygon or even a second Hive Tyrant (who knows :) )

Ghoulio
01-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Alrighty, did some thinking about the Broodlord in the Stealer Squad and there just doesnt seem much point in these guys now as you are just paying 46 extra points to hopefully make someone you are fighting in hand to hand not fight. So, with that in mind, here is the new list.

HQ
Hive Tyrant - Heavy VC, Scything Talons, Hive Commander
Tyranid Prime - 2xBoneswords, Deathspitter

Elites
Zoanthropes (3)
Hive Guard (3)

Troops
Tyranid Warrior (5) 4xDeathspitters, Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons
Termagants (24)
Hormagaunts (30) - Toxin Sacs
Genestealers (16)
Tervigon - Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst, Cluster Spines

Heavy Support
Trygon
Carnifex - MC Devourers, Stranglethorn Cannon

The idea with this list is the idea of overloading your opponent with things to shoot at. It will be just as good coming in from all sides (outflanking the Hormies with the Tyrant, the stealers outflank and DSing the Trygon), or I can just start everything on the field. It has 26x T6 wounds, which isnt too bad. Also, layering the set up will pretty much make sure everything gets the 4+ cover save :)

Ghoulio
01-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Took another crack at it, so here it goes:

HQ
Hive Tyrant - Stranglethorn Cannon, Scything Talons + his 2 Psychic Powers (and yes...he only has two :P )
Hive Tyrant - Stranglethorn Cannon, Bonesword, Lashwhip + Powers

Elites
Zoanthropes (3)
Hive Guard (2)
Hive Guard (2)

Troops
Tervigon - Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Catalyst
Termagants (20)
Hormagaunts (30)
Genestealers (15)

Fast Attack
Raveners (7)

Heavy Support
Trygon Prime - Adrenal Glands

2000pts right on the dot

I realized after reading other people's comments that for 5pts less then my Carnifex I could get a second Hive Tyrant with almost the exact same weapon load out. In my mind there is no comparison. The nice thing will be having 2 Hive Tyrants, a Tervigon and Trygon on the board to help overload target priority. I also plan on "Layering" my set up, so I will have Hive Guard in front of each Tyrant to give the cover saves, and smaller units of gaunts in front of the hive guard so everyone gets cover saves.

Another thing I noticed was for the same price as my Warriors and Prime I could get 8 Raveners (or 2 units of 4) which can CHARGE the same distance the Warriors can shoot (this is including their move). I have had huge success with these guys in 4th ed, so I cant see why I wouldnt have equal success in 5th. I also added Adrenal Glands to the Trygon to help against Deep Striking Dreads (going first and getting a str of 7+2d6 armor pen on 7 re-rollable attacks is great ).